Author Topic: predict who wins the finals now  (Read 5995 times)

Re: predict who wins the finals now
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The beginning season Cavs .......I would not have thought they could make the quarter finals .  They were terrible  .

So LeBron cries for more talent ....

Cavs respond using up every bit of asset they have and make some valuable gains

Stacked with quality  veteran players from top to bottom .....I mean come on ....they should be the best.

I really think Irving and James are gonna be hard to beat .

Lots of west coast teams can beat them in one game .   But can anybody put together a series to down James ?    Maybe OKC ...if Durrant returns 100%

What sucks is .....by the time LeBron is too old to make a difference .......his son will be 16 or 17 and ready to play ....ugh  ::)
This has been the story with every Lebron team in the past 8 years, but don't you think if they play a team with a legitimate frontcourt they would have major issues?

Yes ......I added ...the comment to my post ...LOL ...,the Grizzlies and Rockets could extend the series with the Cavs ......making a close series

Had Rockets not foolishly traded Parsons , I think with say Rondo added ,,they might have been THE favorite .  Now they are weakened .....still a. 100% Howard could rattle the inside play of the Cavs. Making life ruff on LeBron scoring in the paint.

I think the team that can grind out a series with LeBron is the Grizzlies .

They are super healthy , no injuries , big and tuff ......like LeBron

Howard and Gasol  are the two biggest challenges for Cavs

OKC. .....if 100 % healthy is my pick to come out of West.......but Durant has a loose screw in his foot ? What .   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:26:04 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I've said from the beginning of the year that Cleveland would face either Memphis or San Antonio and I'm sticking with that.  Not sure who will win the final, but I'd be pretty surprised if someone other than those 3 teams were in it.

If Memphis were to win it, would you consider them more of a '04 Detroit type team?

I believe you, as well as many other people, point to Detroit as the one anomaly of winning without a superstar, but personally I'd consider Memphis as similar to Detroit. 

Just wondering people's thoughts if a team like Memphis or Atlanta end up winning the whole thing.  Would that be an example of the non-superstar model working?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I am still undecided, GSW and ATL both look good but they both never even tasted the conference finals before. Not sure if they can replicate that in the playoffs with more experienced teams.

Cavs look good. Portland looks good, Spurs are always underdogs but you cannot count them out. Memphis is also looking good. If I really have to guess, Cavs coming out of the East and undecided on the west

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'll say Golden State.

Interesting thing about Memphis is that after a solid start after the trade they have a net negative rating among their starters with Jeff Green in the lineup.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
My original Finals prediction was Chicago/Memphis but I think I have to toss out Chicago now because of the Rose injury (and not sold on his return for playoffs).   Cleveland got served up the Eastern Conference now. 

Who wins the Finals?  Flip a coin.  I'll say Memphis because of the D & size, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Its going to be a team that can play defense, so leaning towards Memphis.  But I could see Cleveland being there too.  Memphis gets the edge because they've been together longer.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Cleveland beats Memphis - the upset of the playoffs will be a healthy OKC team beats GSW in the first round...

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Now that we've got McGee it's gotta be us, right?  ;D

It's wide-open overall; I go with Golden State if they stay healthy.  I'm wary of the reliance on outside shooting, but they just seem to have too many weapons and their defense remains underrated by most. 

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've said from the beginning of the year that Cleveland would face either Memphis or San Antonio and I'm sticking with that.  Not sure who will win the final, but I'd be pretty surprised if someone other than those 3 teams were in it.

If Memphis were to win it, would you consider them more of a '04 Detroit type team?

I believe you, as well as many other people, point to Detroit as the one anomaly of winning without a superstar, but personally I'd consider Memphis as similar to Detroit. 

Just wondering people's thoughts if a team like Memphis or Atlanta end up winning the whole thing.  Would that be an example of the non-superstar model working?
Memphis certainly doesn't have any A+ level super stars (or the gold medal kind), but they do have 3 A- to B+ range players in Gasol, Randolph and Conley (you know the silver medal kind).  Throw in the B/B- level Jeff Green and the plethora of C+ level talents (Lee, Allen, etc.) and they have a very strong team and one that would compete with all of the great teams in history. 

I think the Cavs would probably beat Memphis especially if they can get Varejao back for the playoffs as he would add a great dynamic to their bench and the Cavs would then go 4 deep down low, but it would be a great series.  Same with San Antonio, so I guess I'm predicting the Cavs win the title.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 05:35:03 AM »

Offline CelticLight

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
If im betting as a fan of the NBA and for fun ill go with Memphis or Washington.  If im betting cash money ill go with GSW or Cleveland although I hate these teams! (GSW and Cleveland)  :-X

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'll say Golden State.

Interesting thing about Memphis is that after a solid start after the trade they have a net negative rating among their starters with Jeff Green in the lineup.
What's the sample size? I'd imagine the Green trade would allow them to better divvy out their starters over the course of the game. So their starting lineup overall wouldn't be better, but their overall level of play could have improved. Does green even start in Memphis? Last I saw (in an admittedly long time), he was the sixth man.   

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 08:24:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'll say Golden State.

What's the sample size? I'd imagine the Green trade would allow them to better divvy out their starters over the course of the game. So their starting lineup overall wouldn't be better, but their overall level of play could have improved. Does green even start in Memphis? Last I saw (in an admittedly long time), he was the sixth man.
Green has started 19 of 23 games and has the 5th most most minutes per game.  So yeah he is the starter.  Him, Allen, and Lee are a pretty solid 3 man rotation from the 2/3 spots (Allen is at 25 and Lee is at 31 minutes - so they play pretty evenly).  No one on Memphis plays very many minutes.  Gasol is leading the way at just under 34 a game.  Come playoff time they are going to shorten that bench, increase the main rotation minutes and are going to be even better than they are now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 08:48:19 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Mavs over Cavs in 7, Rondo MVP

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'll say Golden State.

He's a starter and basically when he's on the court they play worse than if Lee or Allen are in his place.

Worse offensively and worse defensively, even though he's producing at the same clip he always does.

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They went through a similar thing with Rudy Gay.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.