Author Topic: Smart named Rookie of the Month  (Read 12748 times)

Re: Smart named Rookie of the Month
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Congrats Marcus Smart! Future Captain!
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Smart as of right now is Tony Allen with a better jump shot.  But a jump shot that can and needs to get better.

Smart does not have the explosiveness to finish around the basket. Wish he would add a floater and dribble /stop and pop also
TA was insanely dangerous from day one on back door cuts. Very different players on offense.

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
32.5 min/g, 35.4 fg%, 26.8 3p%, 61.0 ft%, 4.5 reb, 4.3 asst., 0.3 blk, 1.6 stl, 3.3 f, 2.0 at TO, 9.8 ppg.

That gets you rookie of the month?  I like Smart but that should not be the best month of all rookies.
I think Noel's numbers were slightly better but Smart won because the Celtics won 7 games during the month and the Sixers only won 3 games. 

Noel: 31.5 mpg, 46.8 fg%, 74.5 ft%, 7.3 reb, 1.9 ast, 2.8 blk, 1.7 stl, 3.0 pf, 2.0 to, 10.7 ppg.
Yeah, starting on a more respectable team should matter.

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
yes! Defense matters finally
In case you wondered, advanced stats say Smart is not all that great defensively.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS4.HTM

32.5 min/g, 35.4 fg%, 26.8 3p%, 61.0 ft%, 4.5 reb, 4.3 asst., 0.3 blk, 1.6 stl, 3.3 f, 2.0 at TO, 9.8 ppg.

That gets you rookie of the month?  I like Smart but that should not be the best month of all rookies.
Ask James Harden how he feels about it.  What was opponents fg%?
Don't know what it was about last month, but opp eFG% for the year is .535, which is decidedly lukewarm. But he's a "great defender", so people will just summarily ignore this.

I like Smart.  I absolutely think he is a "keeper".  I also think he is a good defender who will only get better with experience (and with improved team defense by others on the team).  I am not a defensive stats guy, I like to watch the games.

I am just surprised that no rookie did better than Smart last month.  I understand now that he is the East rookie of the month, not the NBA rookie of the month so I guess that means he was not competing with Wiggins.  Maybe this is a result of all the rookies being so young as compared to the "old days" when rookies usually had four years of college before being rookies.

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Oh this should make him overrated on this board more than he already is. If you take off the green glasses you would see how big of a bust this guy was as the 6th overall pick. Banks 2.0 will be in China within 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Oh this should make him overrated on this board more than he already is. If you take off the green glasses you would see how big of a bust this guy was as the 6th overall pick. Banks 2.0 will be in China within 5 years.

Explain it to me.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In case you wondered, advanced stats say Smart is not all that great defensively.

Don't know what it was about last month, but opp eFG% for the year is .535, which is decidedly lukewarm. But he's a "great defender", so people will just summarily ignore this.

I like Smart.  I absolutely think he is a "keeper".  I also think he is a good defender who will only get better with experience (and with improved team defense by others on the team).  I am not a defensive stats guy, I like to watch the games.

I am just surprised that no rookie did better than Smart last month.  I understand now that he is the East rookie of the month, not the NBA rookie of the month so I guess that means he was not competing with Wiggins.  Maybe this is a result of all the rookies being so young as compared to the "old days" when rookies usually had four years of college before being rookies.
I like Smart. I think he's got a lot of tools, offensively and defensively. But I also think that right now people tend to remember the one great defensive stop, and ignore the 4 duds that come after it. He's still a long way from being a consistently productive player on the court, although he's closer to it defensively than offensively.

And yes, it's surprising that no rookie did better. Is Noel considered a rookie by NBA standards?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Here is the write up from the NBA.com rookie Ladder - Sounds like Marcus Banks to me....

Yes, pre-draft doubts about his ability to be a consistent shooter are at the forefront again. But there is the continued encouragement of Smart leading all qualifying rookies in assist-to-turnover ratio heading into Tuesday's schedule, with the possibility he could finish in the top 25 in the league overall. For the moment, he is ahead of Payton, not to mention Mike Conley, Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving. Smart is also third in the class in assists per game.

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 01:32:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Explain it to me.

The Celtics will play exhibition games against the Shanghai Sharks in October 2020. Book it.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Good to see Smart getting some recognition.  He is a very promising rookie.  As Smart continues to develop, we could be looking at a very special player.

Where have you been the past decade?  These NBA player of the month type of awards have been divided into separate awards for East/West players since 2001.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:37:58 PM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

Explain it to me.

Per 40 minutes NCAA stats.

Marcus Smart: 6'3, 220
22 ppg, 42% FG, 30% 3PT, 54% TS, 10 FT/G, 5.8 assist, 3.3 TO, 3.5 steals

Marcus Banks: 6'2, 200
22 ppg, 51% FG, 33% 3PT, 60% TS, 7.4 FT/G, 6.1 assist, 4.4 TO 3.2 steals.

As you can see, Smart is better in FT creation (and less turnovers).
Marcus Banks is more efficient (higher TS%)
Both are not reliable in outside shooting.
Both were awesome defenders with terrific steals numbers.

They are an equal comparison. What you are seeing now is probably the ceiling of Banks 2.0 or close to it in the NBA.

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 01:46:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I like Smart. I think he's got a lot of tools, offensively and defensively. But I also think that right now people tend to remember the one great defensive stop, and ignore the 4 duds that come after it. He's still a long way from being a consistently productive player on the court, although he's closer to it defensively than offensively.

And yes, it's surprising that no rookie did better. Is Noel considered a rookie by NBA standards?
Yes, Noel is considered a rookie. 

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Explain it to me.

They are an equal comparison. What you are seeing now is probably the ceiling of Banks 2.0 or close to it in the NBA.
Banks wasn't even a good defender in the NBA.  Smart is awesome already.

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:26 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Banks wasn't even a good defender in the NBA.  Smart is awesome already.
Yeah but they have the same first name and the Celtics drafted them. They must be the same player.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Explain it to me.

Wow thorough analysis.  Thanks for the college numbers that have no bearing on any of this.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford