Author Topic: Smart named Rookie of the Month  (Read 12747 times)

Re: Smart named Rookie of the Month
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
yes! Defense matters finally
In case you wondered, advanced stats say Smart is not all that great defensively.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS4.HTM

32.5 min/g, 35.4 fg%, 26.8 3p%, 61.0 ft%, 4.5 reb, 4.3 asst., 0.3 blk, 1.6 stl, 3.3 f, 2.0 at TO, 9.8 ppg.

That gets you rookie of the month?  I like Smart but that should not be the best month of all rookies.
Ask James Harden how he feels about it.  What was opponents fg%?
Don't know what it was about last month, but opp eFG% for the year is .535, which is decidedly lukewarm. But he's a "great defender", so people will just summarily ignore this.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 10:47:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
32.5 min/g, 35.4 fg%, 26.8 3p%, 61.0 ft%, 4.5 reb, 4.3 asst., 0.3 blk, 1.6 stl, 3.3 f, 2.0 at TO, 9.8 ppg.

That gets you rookie of the month?  I like Smart but that should not be the best month of all rookies.
I think Noel's numbers were slightly better but Smart won because the Celtics won 7 games during the month and the Sixers only won 3 games. 

Noel: 31.5 mpg, 46.8 fg%, 74.5 ft%, 7.3 reb, 1.9 ast, 2.8 blk, 1.7 stl, 3.0 pf, 2.0 to, 10.7 ppg.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 10:56:20 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
In case you wondered, advanced stats say Smart is not all that great defensively.

Don't know what it was about last month, but opp eFG% for the year is .535, which is decidedly lukewarm. But he's a "great defender", so people will just summarily ignore this.
i put these stats in the same category as fielding stats in baseball. imperfect and with serious flaws, but can sometimes provide evidence that supports what they eyes tell us. the stats can tell a general story for a herd of players over a length of time. but when you drill down to the individual level, their reliability is, well, not very reliable.

sometimes the sniff test needs to be relied upon. smart may be one of those.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 11:32:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Pretty sure this is one of those instances that truly highlights the real limitations that are inherent within advanced statistics. Generally, they're useful tools, but they're not the end-all-be-all factor or always necessarily indicative of a player's true ability.  I'm not sure that even the most ardent Smart-opponent can say he's anything but an above-average to very good defender.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Pretty sure this is one of those instances that truly highlights the real limitations that are inherent within advanced statistics. Generally, they're useful tools, but they're not the end-all-be-all factor or always necessarily indicative of a player's true ability.  I'm not sure that even the most ardent Smart-opponent can say he's anything but an above-average to very good defender.

Well, just because I disagree with you, I'm going to throw out an obscure metric that is a product of correlative data. It's called JKing!

(For those of you wondering, Smart is behind Chris Paul, Jeremy Lin, and Shaq in JKing but somehow ahead of Brian Scalabrini.)  ;D

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 11:53:04 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Overall for the year his opponents are up in fg% when he's defending.

Last 15 games is better.   Opponents down 4%.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203935/tracking/defense/?LastNGames=15

He has reasonable numbers in PnR & Iso defensive stats.  If you have the time to sort through.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?OD=defensive

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:59 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
LOL at the laker fans saying Clarkson is better than Smart.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 12:17:16 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Tedium maximus
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:23 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Smart as of right now is Tony Allen with a better jump shot.  But a jump shot that can and needs to get better.

Smart does not have the explosiveness to finish around the basket. Wish he would add a floater and dribble /stop and pop also

His jump shot needs to get WAY better.  Man, he's a horrible shooter.  I rarely see him hit an outside shot, and when he misses he's usually WAY off.  I don't get him - he might not have the explosiveness to drive, but he's got the strength to do so, ala Pierce (who was never lightening quick).  I don't get a guy who is so aggressive on defense and so passive on offense.  He had Trey Burke on him alot tonight.  He needs to take that guy to the basket and draw fouls, over and over.  His offensive game is such a disappointment.  For some reason, I still haven't given up hope, but based on the eye test, he's a lost cause offensively.

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:45 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
it seems marcus is throwing up alot of shots when clock running down-which have led to some very  forced poor looking attempts-the should be statistic for time on 24second clock

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:15 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Smart as of right now is Tony Allen with a better jump shot.  But a jump shot that can and needs to get better.

Smart does not have the explosiveness to finish around the basket. Wish he would add a floater and dribble /stop and pop also

His jump shot needs to get WAY better.  Man, he's a horrible shooter.  I rarely see him hit an outside shot, and when he misses he's usually WAY off.  I don't get him - he might not have the explosiveness to drive, but he's got the strength to do so, ala Pierce (who was never lightening quick).  I don't get a guy who is so aggressive on defense and so passive on offense.  He had Trey Burke on him alot tonight.  He needs to take that guy to the basket and draw fouls, over and over.  His offensive game is such a disappointment.  For some reason, I still haven't given up hope, but based on the eye test, he's a lost cause offensively.
It would have been a nightmare for any guard going to hoop last night.  Rudy is intimidating. 

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Offensive advanced statistics are very, very good. Defensive advanced stats are very, very bad for the most part. Defense is much more than what your direct opponent's eFG% is. The only valuable defensive stats in my mind are defensive FG% for any shot taken at the rim for a center. Gives you valuable information on who is or who isn't a rim protector.

Everything else is in its infancy because it is nearly impossible to rate team defense for wings and guards. If you think Smart's defense has just been "lukewarm," you are putting way too much stock into defensive advanced stats. The guy has been a bully out there constantly rotating and disrupting play calls. His man goes off every now and then, but that's the name of the game with point guard defense. Smart's defensive plus-minus would show that he is a very good defender while his opponent PER would show that he is a mediocre defender. I guess that would hint that he is a very good help defender but an okay man defender overall, but generally, defensive advanced stats constantly contradict each other. I could make Zeller look like one of the best defenders in the league with some defensive stats.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

You watch the games.  Do you really think that he is not a "great defender"?  I don't care what the advanced stats say, I know what I have seen. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 10:09:49 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I feel like Smart is one of those guys that stats don't tell the story.  He isn't going to light up the score board or making any Rondo type of passes but take last night's game for example.  He had a terrible night shooting but you can make the case that he made the two most important plays of the game.  Him stealing the ball and getting the and 1 at  the end of the half and the pass to Zeller to win the game.  Smart does so many things that can help you win a game that can't be measured.  I am happy he is a Celtic and I firmly believe he will be the captain of this team for the next decade...

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 11:30:39 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
At first I thought he really didn't have any competition with Wiggins being in the West and Aaron Gordon being underwhelming. I forgot about Noel, Payton, Bogdanovic. Not exactly blowing it away for rookies but the first two have done well this year.

Good job Smart!
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)