Author Topic: Ray Allen will sit out this season, consider playing in 15-16  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
From his agent :
Ray Allen Announces He Will Not Play During the 2014-15 Season
March/04/2015

Allen will take the off-season to reassess for 2015-16

Arlington, V.A., March 4, 2015—Ten-time NBA All-Star Ray Allen will not play during the 2014-15 NBA season, announced his agent Jim Tanner, President of Tandem Sports + Entertainment. Allen will take the remainder of this season and the off-season to reassess for the 2015-16 NBA season.

“Over the past several months, I have taken a lot of time to deliberate what is best for me,” Allen said. “I’ve ultimately decided that I will not play this NBA season. I’m going to take the remainder of this season, as well as the upcoming off-season, to reassess my situation, spend time with my family and determine if I will play in the 2015-16 season.”

Allen is a two-time NBA Champion and was a member of the Boston Celtics team that won the franchise’s first championship in 22 years. He is commonly referred to as one of the best shooters in the NBA and holds the league’s all-time record for most three-pointers made in a career. Allen also holds the record for most playoff three-pointers. Through 18 seasons in the NBA, he posts a career average of 18.9 points per game. Allen won the NBA’s Sportsmanship Award in 2003.

“Ray has received enormous interest from a number of NBA teams throughout this season,” Tanner said. “We will communicate with interested teams as Ray makes a decision for the 2015-16 season.”

Nice summary from @DrewUnga on Twitter : "Translation: There’s no clearcut favorite to ring chase with so I’m just gonna golf."

Re: Ray Allen will sit out this season, consider playing in 15-16
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If he is not injured, I do not understand. Why sit out whole season?

Play or retire.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's also possible that he thinks he'll be able to make more money signing with a team this offseason then he's currently being offered right now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Play or retire.

He likes retirment but also likes hearing is name on TV on a regular basis.  And I'm not trying to mock him too much -- a lot of people, and certainly athletes in their 30s, have trouble adapting to retirement.  Being the center of attention even while retired probably helps that transition.  Still gets a thrill, without the toll on his body.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
This is entirely speculative, but I wonder if the Perkins signing had something to do with this. My understanding is that the Cavs used their last roster spot on him, James Jones has been playing too well to get cut and dumping one of their other veterans like Marion, Miller to make room for him at this point in the season was something that couldn't be done. It always kind of seemed like Allen really wanted to keep playing with Lebron.

All that being said, It is a little surprising he wouldn't just retire at this point. It seems like coming back to the NBA after a year off at his age would carry a lot of injury risks to say nothing of increased chance he is no longer effective.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:10:58 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think this pretty much means he's done now, because it's got to be ridiculously hard to sit out a year at his age then try to come back. I know he has a legendary work ethic, but I think this would be just too much for him.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Play or retire.
Sounds like the market for him dried up, waited too long. Only willing to go to a few teams and they're not options now.

Cleveland doesn't want him now, wants a backup PG more if they're going to cut someone to get a roster spot. Golden State not interested, and Atlanta had moved on as well.

Also if the reports are true about him wanting to be assured a certain role, then I can see teams backing off.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Play or retire.
Sounds like the market for him dried up, waited too long. Only willing to go to a few teams and they're not options now.

Cleveland doesn't want him now, wants a backup PG more if they're going to cut someone to get a roster spot. Golden State not interested, and Atlanta had moved on as well.

Also if the reports are true about him wanting to be assured a certain role, then I can see teams backing off.

Yea you can't really demand a certain role after sitting out 2/3rds of the season and coming off a really poor performance in the finals. I have really been surprised by level of Ego Allen has shown in the twighlight of his career. It is a pretty stark contrast to Garnett and Pierce accepting smaller roles and embracing a leadership mentor role this year.