Author Topic: stein turner or porzingis  (Read 16287 times)

Re: stein turner or porzingis
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 03:38:58 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12305581/texas-freshman-myles-turner-learning-growing-amid-expectations-criticism

When he was sidelined for six months in high school with a right ankle injury, his father, David Turner, pushed him through two-a-day weightlifting sessions in the family's garage that ultimately added 25-plus pounds to his lithe frame.

Thanks for the article, TP!

I'm still a little afraid of Turner and his body. But at the same time I think he is going to be very good in a few years. His ceiling is higher than WCS's IMO.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 03:48:31 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12305581/texas-freshman-myles-turner-learning-growing-amid-expectations-criticism

When he was sidelined for six months in high school with a right ankle injury, his father, David Turner, pushed him through two-a-day weightlifting sessions in the family's garage that ultimately added 25-plus pounds to his lithe frame.

I'm still a little afraid of Turner and his body. But at the same time I think he is going to be very good in a few years. His ceiling is higher than WCS's IMO.
I agree. Also WCS had a freaking ACL tear! He is more concerning in basically every way other than athleticism.

I don't think WCS is just an idiot like some people seem to think on this forum. I know he's a late bloomer but he seems to actually know how to use his athleticism and he plays with pretty good instincts IMO.

Big men have huge flaws. Even the really good ones like Towns are flawed. Personally I would take a wing who just looks spectacular (like Winslow) over the guys we're talking about, but you have to decide how much risk you are willing to take with bigs and honestly look at them. We can't just try to gloss over the flaws and talk ourselves into all of these guys.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
to quote brewster's millions, none of the above! 

get the big either via trade (noel) or fa (monroe).  go sf with either johnson or oubre if fa big signed.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em

It was an ankle injury and he's shown nothing but durability in college, knock on wood
Yes, he's managed to stay healthy for a whopping 5 months. Herculean.

I'm not super concerned with Turner's injury history (I'm much more concerned about Stein's) but don't act like it doesn't exist.

So one injury in high school makes him injury prone? I just don't see how anyone (not targeted at you, just the sentiment here) can justify that label for one injury in HS when he hasn't missed a game in college. You can probably go back to any of these prospects and find a high school injury
DKC Suns

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

It was an ankle injury and he's shown nothing but durability in college, knock on wood

I'm not super concerned with Turner's injury history (I'm much more concerned about Stein's) but don't act like it doesn't exist.

So one injury in high school makes him injury prone? I just don't see how anyone (not targeted at you, just the sentiment here) can justify that label for one injury in HS when he hasn't missed a game in college. You can probably go back to any of these prospects and find a high school injury
For me, his awkward running style makes me think it would be more likely he gets injured than his prior injury history. But if he stays healthy I see him doing big things
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em

For me, his awkward running style makes me think it would be more likely he gets injured than his prior injury history. But if he stays healthy I see him doing big things

He does run super strange. It's even weirder in person. Apparently it goes back to him not wearing the right shoe size in high school, which they figured out when he got here in Austin. He's my favorite prospect, and obviously I'm biased as a UT student, but with my bias and eye test (he passes) aside, the analytics speak for themselves. He's a great prospect.
DKC Suns

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2015, 08:48:30 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
WCS is my first choice but I think Turner is going to be really good too.

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Big men have huge flaws. Even the really good ones like Towns are flawed. Personally I would take a wing who just looks spectacular (like Winslow) over the guys we're talking abou

NBA wings are a dime a dozen and they flame out just as much if not more than the bigs.

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 10:33:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

this is not what i have been thinking. so, please tell me more so i can learn. honestly, i would like to hear your thoughts on turner versus cauley-stein.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

this is not what i have been thinking. so, please tell me more so i can learn. honestly, i would like to hear your thoughts on turner versus cauley-stein.
Same here. Don't know nearly as much about Turner as WCS and the other big names.

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2015, 03:04:26 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em

Same here. Don't know nearly as much about Turner as WCS and the other big names.

Turner is an elite shot blocker (2.8 BPG in only 23 mins and statistically more efficient than WCS), though less athletic. He, along with Prince Ibeh when he gets minutes, is the reason that Texas leads the NCAA in shot blocking (Kentucky is second), and he's extremely impressive as a weak side defender, though his lack of strength has hurt against stronger guys like Towns, Ellis and Gathers. His height is fantastic, and he's extremely long which really helps with his shot blocking, but he lacks lift and runs strangely. Sometimes his lack of lift hurts on rebounds, but he's a very efficient defensive rebounder. He really needs to get stronger at the next level, but NBA trainers can take care of that, so I don't view that as a big problem.

He's a little raw offensively (relies too much on turnaround jumpers off of the post, needs to become a more versatile scorer down low) and honestly another year of college would do him some good, but his shooting and passing are already terrific. His three point shot is not as good as he thinks it is yet, but he's automatic on the long two and turnaround shots from the elbow, block and high post.

I thought the Lamarcus Aldridge comparison was a cop out since they're both Longhorns, but honestly, after seeing him in person around 15 times and watching all of his games, I love that comparison on offense. His ceiling is really high because of his shooting, high post potential, height, length, defensive potential, intelligence and basketball IQ, but he's an average athlete and is supposedly injury prone going back to high school, though he's never missed a game in college. Similar to early NBA Aldridge, when he bulks up I like his chances.

The way I view him is:

Basement: Bench stretch center/power forward who can come in and create spacing and play defense.
Ceiling: All star Lamarcus Aldridge type high post player, but a taller and better defender.

The way I view WCS is:
Basement: Big who can provide bench minutes of good defense
Ceiling: Elite defender and rebounder - DeAndre Jordan, Hassan Whiteside type

Just to be clear though, if I had to take one at the next level, I do think WCS is more of a sure thing to be a starting level player. But if Myles reaches his potential, he will be big time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:12:20 AM by The Rondo Show »
DKC Suns

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 05:40:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My favorite of the three is Porzingis- he's got the potential to be an NBA superstar- considering how well he shoots for a 7 footer.
I actually like Porzingis more than Towns. I don't think there's any chance we'll have a shot at Kristaps though, he should be long gone by the 12,13th picks.
I believe he's one of 4 potential franchise players in this draft.

Okfaur
Muiday
Porzingis
Russell
with Towns on the outside looking in at these 4 guys.

Now to the other two....Cauley Stein for me over Turner and there's no comparison.
I just don't see it with Turner- perhaps people see some kind of quicker Roy Hibbert who will eventually grow into his freakish body but I don't believe he'll ever be athletic enough to be a dominant NBA big man. Cauley Stein is going to be a very solid pro at the minimum and could be Tyson Chandler mixed with DeAndre Jordan.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Big men have huge flaws. Even the really good ones like Towns are flawed. Personally I would take a wing who just looks spectacular (like Winslow) over the guys we're talking abou

NBA wings are a dime a dozen and they flame out just as much if not more than the bigs.
I don't think wings are a dime a dozen any more. Tons of playoff teams right now have a huge weakness at SG and SF. IMO a big reason the Spurs have gone to the finals the past 2 years is that they have Leonard, Manu and Green and they just had way more flexibility on the perimeter than their western conference opponents. They could put length on Steph Curry and still deal with the wings of Golden State, and they had success against teams like OKC and Portland who have 1 very good wing and tried to get their other wings on the cheap.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!