Author Topic: stein turner or porzingis  (Read 16264 times)

Re: stein turner or porzingis
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Porzingis will be gone when the Celtics pick for sure. His upside is huge.

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I can't find any good video on him.

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 07:06:12 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I can't find any good video on him.
There are a few recent youtube videos on him.  He looks pretty good.  I was expecting he'd be more of a talented project but it looks like he's developed quite well over the past year.   

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
If they don't have a top 10 pick, what about Kaminsky?
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Kaminsky is not going to be a good NBA player.  He may very well be an average NBA player, but even that is unclear.  He will go 13th overall at absolute best, but most likely will be drafted like 16th or 17th.  Our worst pick position will be around 15th if we make the playoffs, so I don't think we'll get him.

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Assuming Towns and Okafor are gone, I'd take Stein with Kaminsky a distant second.  Maybe take a flier on Christian Wood or Bobby Portis with the Clips pick.

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I like Stein as our future rim protector for years to come. Turner scares the crap out of me with his lack of athleticism and what looks to be an injury-plagued career. Don't know much about Porzingis other than he's extremely thin and is a stretcher. Not big on stretch 5's, and we already have several stretch 4's. However, Porzingis is said to have a good head on his shoulders and excellent defensive insticts. I'd be fine with him if he becomes an average to above average rim protector in addition to his offensive game.

Injury plagued career? Turner hasn't missed a game. Yes he runs a little awkwardly, but that doesn't make him a lock to have an injury plagued career. I think WCS is the best of these prospects, but Turner is the best shot blocker in the draft and has great touch on his jumper--he will be a real threat from the high post. He just needs to bulk up.
DKC Suns

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 03:07:27 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em
I like Turner's fit for Stevens' system. Shoots 3s and blocks shots. It's only a matter of time until he grows into his body and shed's the unathletic/injury prone label he's preemptively been given.

I've been at almost every home game Turner has played in this year and his vertical isn't too impressive and he definitely runs a little strangely, so I can understand the knocks on his athleticism. However, the injury prone thing is mind numbing to me. Wait until he has ONE injury let alone multiple injuries to call somebody injury prone
DKC Suns

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em
If Turner was on a different team his stock would be better.

Last summer Turner was the clear winner in the 1 on 1's with Towns and J Okafor.

If we can nab Turner that would be like nabbing a top 3 pick...IMO

Turner shoots 83% from ft and 30% from 3...and thats as a freshman without any legit offensive schemes or coaching.

Turner is the most efficient player in the Big 12. His biggest weakness has been a lack of playing time in Rick Barnes' asinine rotations. He's a game changing player when he's on the floor and should be playing 30+ minutes a game, but Barnes often defers late game situations to more experienced guys like Connor Lammert and Jonathan Holmes, and it has been a big part of the case for Barnes to be fired.
DKC Suns

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 03:12:59 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em
Turner's last two games:

Vs. #8 Kansas: 10 points, 8 boards, 5 blocks, 1 steal, 4-4 FT, 2 TO
Vs. #14 Baylor: 8 points, 8 boards, 6 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist, 0 TO

Not to mention he only had 4 fouls in those two games combined. 

They also won against Baylor while Texas (Turner's team) is unranked.  He also went 16 points / 10 boards / 6 blocks / 0 TO vs #17 Oklahoma a few weeks ago, although they lost.

He's 6'11", 240. You can't teach 6'11" 240 lbs to a freshman.  He will probably grow another inch or two as well.  I would take him even if we already had a great center.  He is BPA material where we're drafting.

Absolutely.
DKC Suns

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12305581/texas-freshman-myles-turner-learning-growing-amid-expectations-criticism

When he was sidelined for six months in high school with a right ankle injury, his father, David Turner, pushed him through two-a-day weightlifting sessions in the family's garage that ultimately added 25-plus pounds to his lithe frame.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12305581/texas-freshman-myles-turner-learning-growing-amid-expectations-criticism

When he was sidelined for six months in high school with a right ankle injury, his father, David Turner, pushed him through two-a-day weightlifting sessions in the family's garage that ultimately added 25-plus pounds to his lithe frame.

It was an ankle injury and he's shown nothing but durability in college, knock on wood
DKC Suns

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

It was an ankle injury and he's shown nothing but durability in college, knock on wood
Yes, he's managed to stay healthy for a whopping 5 months. Herculean.

I'm not super concerned with Turner's injury history (I'm much more concerned about Stein's) but don't act like it doesn't exist.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Kaminsky is not going to be a good NBA player.  He may very well be an average NBA player, but even that is unclear.  He will go 13th overall at absolute best, but most likely will be drafted like 16th or 17th.  Our worst pick position will be around 15th if we make the playoffs, so I don't think we'll get him.
Have to disagree.  Kaminsky is skilled, tough, and has a very high bball IQ.  He's in the conversation for the Naismith award.  Just looking through the history of the award:

~75% have meaningful NBA careers (even with some having freak accidents, drug problems, etc.)
~50% become all stars
~25% are Hall of Famers

His numbers line up pretty well with Lamarcus Aldridge.  Aldridge is a little smoother, but he's not an explosive athlete by any stretch.  Kaminsky's a little taller, much better passer, but doesn't have the wingspan.  I think Kaminsky will surprise people.

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Have to disagree.  Kaminsky is skilled, tough, and has a very high bball IQ.  He's in the conversation for the Naismith award.  Just looking through the history of the award:

~75% have meaningful NBA careers (even with some having freak accidents, drug problems, etc.)
~50% become all stars
~25% are Hall of Famers

His numbers line up pretty well with Lamarcus Aldridge.  Aldridge is a little smoother, but he's not an explosive athlete by any stretch.  Kaminsky's a little taller, much better passer, but doesn't have the wingspan.  I think Kaminsky will surprise people.

Kaminsky is underrated around here because some guys love low IQ, athletic, dumb utility poles. "Oh, Sanders! Oh, JaVale!". That's why so many people love WCS, as smart as a piece of wood, great defender but bad at offense, with low ceiling.

I'm not saying that Kaminsky will be an all star - don't think he is that good. But to say that he "is not going to be a good NBA player"? Respectfully disagree.

I don't think Ainge will draft him. But you have to admit that Frank is a better fit in Brad's system than a lot of other draftees.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo