Author Topic: stein turner or porzingis  (Read 16295 times)

Re: stein turner or porzingis
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'd like to have a long, athletic Center that defends, blocks shots, and runs the floor.  That guy, my friends is WCS.  I'll be thrilled if we're drafting in the 8-12 range and land this guy. 

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I'd like to have a long, athletic Center that defends, blocks shots, and runs the floor.  That guy, my friends is WCS.  I'll be thrilled if we're drafting in the 8-12 range and land this guy.

Low IQ, low ceiling, bad offense. Did you saw him last night?
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I would be very dissapointed if we don't draft WCS!  :o
And I think we would bash Ainge in a few years if we don't, like many people do now for missing out on Deandre Jordan.
Big athletic defensive centers don't grow on trees, and if you can grab one, do so!! 
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I like Turner's fit for Stevens' system. Shoots 3s and blocks shots. It's only a matter of time until he grows into his body and shed's the unathletic/injury prone label he's preemptively been given.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
In order Porzingis, Turner, WCS.
Porzingis or Turner would replace Bass or Jerebko once one or both go to FA. They can also fill in at Center at times. Both have a ton of upside. WCS is a pure Center and is the opposite strengths of Zeller. WCS has good Defense and little Offense. I feel if you wanted a one way dominate player he has to be elite at it if you are taking him in the lottery.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If Turner was on a different team his stock would be better.

Last summer Turner was the clear winner in the 1 on 1's with Towns and J Okafor.

If we can nab Turner that would be like nabbing a top 3 pick...IMO

Turner shoots 83% from ft and 30% from 3...and thats as a freshman without any legit offensive schemes or coaching.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Last summer Turner was the clear winner in the 1 on 1's with Towns and J Okafor.

Turner shoots 83% from ft and 30% from 3...and thats as a freshman without any legit offensive schemes or coaching.
I think Turner COULD be an intriguing prospect but there's been something lacking in his development this year.  I really think this kid could benefit by another year in school -- > quite possibly blossom into a top 4 pick in 2016 if he gets it together his sophomore year.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »

• Ray Allen

I think Turner COULD be an intriguing prospect but there's been something lacking in his development this year.  I really think this kid could benefit by another year in school -- > quite possibly blossom into a top 4 pick in 2016 if he gets it together his sophomore year.

I agree 100% that there is something missing in his development.......a good coach.
Here is a short article from realgm that simply explains the troubles of being Turner on that horribly unorganized team.
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/236934/How-Picking-The-Wrong-Coach-Hurts-Draft-Stock

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Turner's last two games:

Vs. #8 Kansas: 10 points, 8 boards, 5 blocks, 1 steal, 4-4 FT, 2 TO
Vs. #14 Baylor: 8 points, 8 boards, 6 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist, 0 TO

Not to mention he only had 4 fouls in those two games combined. 

They also won against Baylor while Texas (Turner's team) is unranked.  He also went 16 points / 10 boards / 6 blocks / 0 TO vs #17 Oklahoma a few weeks ago, although they lost.

He's 6'11", 240. You can't teach 6'11" 240 lbs to a freshman.  He will probably grow another inch or two as well.  I would take him even if we already had a great center.  He is BPA material where we're drafting.

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »

• Ray Allen
Turner's last two games:

They also won against Baylor while Texas (Turner's team) is unranked.  He also went 16 points / 10 boards / 6 blocks / 0 TO vs #17 Oklahoma a few weeks ago, although they lost.

He's 6'11", 240. You can't teach 6'11" 240 lbs to a freshman.  He will probably grow another inch or two as well.  I would take him even if we already had a great center.  He is BPA material where we're drafting.
I was so happy to read your post...tp
Turner is 6'10'' without shoes. So many players add an 1.5'' with shoes or 1.25''...either way he is 6'11'' and change.

Turner also has the type of frame that will allow him to add muscle...so says the scouts, either way he is only 18 and putting up good to great numbers considering.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Turner's last two games:

Turner is 6'10'' without shoes. So many players add an 1.5'' with shoes or 1.25''...either way he is 6'11'' and change.

Turner also has the type of frame that will allow him to add muscle...so says the scouts, either way he is only 18 and putting up good to great numbers considering.

Turner does have nice stats, especailly his efficiency stats are encouraging. I might have been too harsh on him before, but the fact is that he's unathletic and not exceptionally coordinated - that's a tough combo in the NBA. I see him as a Kelly Olynyk-level prospect, better strength and length but worse shooting, BBIQ and coordination. All-around not a bad pick in the late lotto, but if Porzingis is there - I don't see how you pass on a guy with unbounded upside.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »

• Ray Allen
Turner's last two games:

Turner does have nice stats, especailly his efficiency stats are encouraging. I might have been too harsh on him before, but the fact is that he's unathletic and not exceptionally coordinated - that's a tough combo in the NBA. I see him as a Kelly Olynyk-level prospect, better strength and length but worse shooting, BBIQ and coordination. All-around not a bad pick in the late lotto, but if Porzingis is there - I don't see how you pass on a guy with unbounded upside.
Have you seen any videos on MT?
Also do not forget Ko was a 4th year(red shirted)college player....Turner is just 18 and like you said maybe still is growing. Look at KO's college stats.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kelly-Olynyk-19790/stats/

Turner shoots 84% from ft...he can't be that uncoordinated.  But I do see where you are coming from, and I believe that an 18 year old that shows this much promise can and maybe will get more coordinated

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I mean I am only 6'2" and I didn't begin to become coordinated until I was like 20 or so.  I was a really good swimmer in high school, but I couldn't play basketball to save my life because I kept getting these growing spurts.  I can only imagine what a 7 foot tall person must feel like trying to control that body.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I agree 100% that there is something missing in his development.......a good coach.
Here is a short article from realgm that simply explains the troubles of being Turner on that horribly unorganized team.
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/236934/How-Picking-The-Wrong-Coach-Hurts-Draft-Stock
Choosing the right coach is very important especially for big men.  However, most of the issues that the article raises against Turner's situation at Texas also apply to Towns at Texas.  Turner actually gets more playing time and shot attempts than Towns does and their stats are quite close.  Calipari is a great recruiter of talent but not a great developer of talent.  Towns is a better prospect than Turner because he is significantly more athletic.  It is almost painful to watch Turner run. 

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Myles Turner has a game that looks somewhat like LaMarcus Aldridge.  Now, I'm not going to get extreme with this and I'm NOT saying they have a game that is equated with each other as Aldridge is a special player.  But Turner has a skill-set that looks similar in that he can hit that 18 foot jumper with a nice touch and he gets it off quickly.  Aldridge wasn't close to a finished project when he arrived in the NBA, so you're banking on a guy's heart and desire to grow his game.  I would LOVE Turner on this team next season which would allow the Celtics to move on from the non-athletic Sullinger who doesn't fit Brad's style of player.  (That said, I would also like the Celtics to go after a top inside player in free agency as a veteran presence up front would be much nicer than grooming another non-prepared rookie).