Author Topic: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?  (Read 41186 times)

Re: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
its like the only form on conversation around here is argument.

no its not

yes it is.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
WOW this thread. Just wow.

I agree with LD42

And people keep asking why free agents don't see Boston as destination. This thread right here is one of the many reasons why

This is just the NBA trying to be global brand. They do things like this to make the game more enticing for fans.

I personally don't mind this at all.

Are ya'll afraid the hispanics are gonna take over your Celtics? Come on. Be real.

Los Celtics just means The Celtics.

Get over it.

What's wrong with the OP asking this question? It's a legitimate question. 

According to the US Census Bureau, San Antonio, LA, and Miami all have Hispanic majorities that would justify this type of branding and make sense, but Hispanics are a much smaller minority in Boston so it doesn't make as much sense.

And if it's a global brand, why are the southern US teams with large Hispanic populations near Mexico wearing the "Los X" shirts instead of northern teams, too? Furthermore, if it's a global brand why aren't they promoting jerseys in Mandarin, French, Dutch, and Greek, too?

Maybe the OP came about it a little rash, but it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask.

P.S.: Hopefully you guys know the whole Ron Swanson meme post was a joke, too.

Hmm, I knew they did something for Chinese New Years, but I didn't think they actual had it on their jerseys.

I agree that it is a global brand and that's all they're doing, but I still don't understand how asking that question for Boston is wrong. It's not a majority or large percentage of the population like it is in the other cities, and it's nowhere near a Spanish-speaking country. Granted, Houston doesn't really have a strong Asian population either.

How about this, the Celtics was/is one of the best franchise in NBA history. So them joining the "los insert name here" marketing makes sense.

If you didn't know the Celtics are not only popular in Boston, or in America. This team is popular world wide. You see this when KG visits China, when Rondo visited the Philippines,they were treated like royalty. I am from Canada and I love the C's, and I'm sure a lot of our Hispanic/Latino brothers are fans too.

The world is changing. Be a part of it.
Hmm, I'm not a part of an ever-changing world because I don't believe that everything is about race like you do? Cute.

Again, show me how the OP asking that question was wrong other than just positing some notion that were the best franchise in the NBA and it's good for marketing, which again doesn't say anything about how the OP was wrong.

I believe Dr. Ben Carson (could very well be mistaken on attributing this to him) had a very astute quote on these types of situations. It went something like, "The people who are quick to jump to racial motives as explanations are the ones with racial motives on their minds."

The question was a legitimate question that made sense with respect to Boston's demographics, geography, and cultural history. Though it may have come out rash, the question itself is fair without racist undertones.

Ben Carson? Really? We are now down to quoting Ben Carson???

WHY BECAUSE HE'S BLACK?! Haha (Totally Joking, BTW)

In all seriousness, though, he's one of the smartest men in our country and more than likely a presidential candidate, and he has an IQ north of 140, which is literally genius territory. I'm not sure how quoting Dr. Carson is a downgrade on a sports forum. This is especially true considering the league we watch more than likely only contains a handful of individuals that would be successful members of our society outside of basketball, i.e. players like Grant Hill, Jeremy Lin, Shane Battier, Ray Allen,etc.

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Having a high IQ actually proves very little beyond an aptitude for the IQ test.

I would posit, though, that Carson is smart enough to say things that appeal to very stupid people, a necessary trait in anyone who might be considering a presidential run.

You could say he came into politics smart, and came out dumb. Did something happen in there?
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/mar/04/ben-carson/ben-carson-many-prisoners-go-straight-come-out-gay/
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Actually it's about ethics in team naming.

« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2015, 01:41:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2015, 01:59:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Having a high IQ actually proves very little beyond an aptitude for the IQ test.

I would posit, though, that Carson is smart enough to say things that appeal to very stupid people, a necessary trait in anyone who might be considering a presidential run.

You could say he came into politics smart, and came out dumb. Did something happen in there?
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/mar/04/ben-carson/ben-carson-many-prisoners-go-straight-come-out-gay/
Speaking of saying dumb things it's a mighty interesting article that basically wants to tell us "Heyyyyy. Just cause they do gay things doesn't mean they're actually gay. They're just acting gay".

See this is what I didn't like about Brokeback Mountain. They weren't gay cowboys. They were bisexual sheep boys. Everyone get it right. 

« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

From what I know of him, he has a very "Einstein-ian" educational background. You know, the whole anecdote about him failing math in middle school for not being challenged enough.

But you're right about IQ, and I wasn't necessarily saying that higher IQ's equate to always being right or anything like that. Something just doesn't feel right about saying our sports blog has "come down to" quotes from a literal genius who has excelled in neurosurgery.

Fun fact about IQs: I believe I remember reading somewhere that both Young Bush and Joe Biden have higher IQs than Obama, which goes to show exactly what you're saying. Both Bush and Biden have said some pretty messed up/ignorant stuff.

Intelligence doesn't really relay to politics that much anyways. Statistics show that confidence, presence, and personality are much more subconsciously influential to voters than anything else. Hence the reason Romney looked poised to whoop Obama after that first presidential debate that he performed so masterfully in.

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That's reasonable, and yeah, the anecdote I always hear about political presentation is the Nixon/JFK debate.

« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Speaking of...

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
That's reasonable, and yeah, the anecdote I always hear about political presentation is the Nixon/JFK debate.
I'm not sure how much I believe this but I heard most people that heard it on the radio thought Nixon won but it just happened to be the first tv debate and most people that watched it thought JFK won. And more people watched it.

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
^Thats what I've always heard, too.

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Actually it's about ethics in team naming.

Hahaha tp

Anyways, as to Ben Carson, I will say that my boss is a literal genius - she had a PhD from Harvard at 22 - and maybe what we're seeing with Carson is just the lack of social skills from living a life like that.  My boss is an incredible person, but she certainly doesn't have the tact for running for office.  She was studying like 18 hours a day her whole childhood, she never learned basic things and I think I see that with Carson.  She would say what's on her mind and it would drive people crazy, it wouldn't get much further than that.

I've noticed that conservatives often glob on to deeply flawed candidates because something resonates with them, but once they get a little bigger, they get exposed.  It's hilarious for me to watch, because then I have relevant things like this to drop in the thread:

but seriously, aside from the fear mongering and homophobia coming from Carson, he said this, which will destroy him in a competitive Republican primary:

“It depends on where you live. If you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I’m afraid that that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would rather you not have it.” - Ben Carson

« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That's true, reasonable, rational statements don't seem to do very well in the Republican primaries.