Author Topic: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?  (Read 41105 times)

Re: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2015, 10:43:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Were any of the other great teams in the league called THE "insert name here" ? THE LAKERS? THE SPURS? THE BULLS? no, they're just called Lakers, Spurs, and Bulls, so why should our team be different?

From another league, you have The Da Bears...

LOS BEARS!

I'm not even sure what language "Da" comes from... English, Danish, German, Italian, Esperanto, Portugese, Welsh ...
(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/da)

The Chicago Bears. Truly multicultural.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I honestly can't believe this post made it this many pages lol

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
So why aren't we singing the Spanish anthems at the All Star game after Oh Canada?

The Canadians should be the real upset ones here.  They get the anthem, a whole team, a flag in every building, all things the Spanish don't have, yet they don't have anything on the jerseys like "Celtics eh" or "Raptors eh."

Great argument. Not.

Great job recognizing arguments....it was a joke.
Cracked me up!

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2015, 01:26:08 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
All this thread proves is that no one here is watching all the games and could say obviously we never played a game with Los Celtics on our jersey.

« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:54 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Fwiw.   Celtics in russian.  ;D

???????

Edit: Nvm.   Didn't work.

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2015, 02:09:04 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WOW this thread. Just wow.

I agree with LD42

And people keep asking why free agents don't see Boston as destination. This thread right here is one of the many reasons why

This is just the NBA trying to be global brand. They do things like this to make the game more enticing for fans.

I personally don't mind this at all.

Are ya'll afraid the hispanics are gonna take over your Celtics? Come on. Be real.

Los Celtics just means The Celtics.

Get over it.

What's wrong with the OP asking this question? It's a legitimate question. 

According to the US Census Bureau, San Antonio, LA, and Miami all have Hispanic majorities that would justify this type of branding and make sense, but Hispanics are a much smaller minority in Boston so it doesn't make as much sense.

And if it's a global brand, why are the southern US teams with large Hispanic populations near Mexico wearing the "Los X" shirts instead of northern teams, too? Furthermore, if it's a global brand why aren't they promoting jerseys in Mandarin, French, Dutch, and Greek, too?

Maybe the OP came about it a little rash, but it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask.

P.S.: Hopefully you guys know the whole Ron Swanson meme post was a joke, too.

Hmm, I knew they did something for Chinese New Years, but I didn't think they actual had it on their jerseys.

I agree that it is a global brand and that's all they're doing, but I still don't understand how asking that question for Boston is wrong. It's not a majority or large percentage of the population like it is in the other cities, and it's nowhere near a Spanish-speaking country. Granted, Houston doesn't really have a strong Asian population either.

How about this, the Celtics was/is one of the best franchise in NBA history. So them joining the "los insert name here" marketing makes sense.

If you didn't know the Celtics are not only popular in Boston, or in America. This team is popular world wide. You see this when KG visits China, when Rondo visited the Philippines,they were treated like royalty. I am from Canada and I love the C's, and I'm sure a lot of our Hispanic/Latino brothers are fans too.

The world is changing. Be a part of it.
Hmm, I'm not a part of an ever-changing world because I don't believe that everything is about race like you do? Cute.

Again, show me how the OP asking that question was wrong other than just positing some notion that were the best franchise in the NBA and it's good for marketing, which again doesn't say anything about how the OP was wrong.

I believe Dr. Ben Carson (could very well be mistaken on attributing this to him) had a very astute quote on these types of situations. It went something like, "The people who are quick to jump to racial motives as explanations are the ones with racial motives on their minds."

The question was a legitimate question that made sense with respect to Boston's demographics, geography, and cultural history. Though it may have come out rash, the question itself is fair without racist undertones.

Ben Carson? Really? We are now down to quoting Ben Carson???

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
its like the only form on conversation around here is argument.

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
All that stuff throughout the whole NBA is pure stupid pandering. The teams were never ever called that, yet they have to be cute and diverse so as not to offend anyone. SMH.

Los suns......is not even correct.........it would be Los Sols.........idiots in the NBA. 
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
All that stuff throughout the whole NBA is pure stupid pandering. The teams were never ever called that, yet they have to be cute and diverse so as not to offend anyone. SMH.

Los suns......is not even correct.........it would be Los Sols.........idiots in the NBA.

Clearly they've offended you, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

In Spanish, proper nouns, such as names of organizations or songs, are left unsullied.

« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

In Spanish, proper nouns, such as names of organizations or songs, are left unsullied.

Hey now, with your facts and your language knowledge.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
And people keep asking why free agents don't see Boston as destination. This thread right here is one of the many reasons why

This. TP.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I am pretty sure that there are Celtics fans outside of Boston, and many of them speak Spanish.

As for changing up uniforms, I don't recall much hubbub when the C's went to Italy for preseason, and they rolled out the Italian-themed jerseys.

I want one of those! Lol
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
All this thread proves is that no one here is watching all the games and could say obviously we never played a game with Los Celtics on our jersey.

I know this is probably a joke, but in all seriousness, I've watched the games and I'm pretty sure there was never a "Los" on the jerseys.

That is, if anyone was still interested in the answer to the thread title...

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
its like the only form on conversation around here is argument.

no its not