Author Topic: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?  (Read 41179 times)

Re: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I also wouldn't be a huge fan of French on the uni because of the French speakers in Maine and Canada or because Larry came from French Lick.
I'm not Irish (or French) to any degree, but this reminds me of the very early days of pro basketball, when teams were actually organized by ethnicity, like the Buffalo Germans, the Original Celtics, and the Philadelphia SPHAS.

Suffice it to say that I don't think the Boston Celtics -- held in disdain by the majority of the Americans of Irish descent (who would probably attempt to lay claim to being "really from Boston") when they were at their very best -- fall under that purview.
all that is better than the Washington Redskins.  I like Notre Dame most of the time despite the drunken leprechaun. I'm not a huge fans of names involving murdering thieves like the pirates

The difference there, though, is that 'pirate' is an occupation. I agree very much about the Redskins, by the way.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Know who Boston has/had a lot of?  Irish.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I also wouldn't be a huge fan of French on the uni because of the French speakers in Maine and Canada or because Larry came from French Lick.
I'm not Irish (or French) to any degree, but this reminds me of the very early days of pro basketball, when teams were actually organized by ethnicity, like the Buffalo Germans, the Original Celtics, and the Philadelphia SPHAS.

Suffice it to say that I don't think the Boston Celtics -- held in disdain by the majority of the Americans of Irish descent (who would probably attempt to lay claim to being "really from Boston") when they were at their very best -- fall under that purview.
all that is better than the Washington Redskins.  I like Notre Dame most of the time despite the drunken leprechaun. I'm not a huge fans of names involving murdering thieves like the pirates

The difference there, though, is that 'pirate' is an occupation. I agree very much about the Redskins, by the way.
I can give you buccaneer if he has a letter of writ, but otherwise we're glorified IRS guys

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Know who Boston has/had a lot of?  Irish.

Hence lucky the leprechaun. This is starting to remind me about some asinine arguments about "white history month" I'm sure we've all had or heard about.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
It's NBA marketing.  Relax. 

This isn't any different from any of the other NBA marketing programs they roll out there.  This one happens to be directed at the hispanic community.

Taking the holier than thou route because of usage of "The"?   Give me a break.

"Holier than thou"

Really? ???

Yeah.  Why should it matter?  Because its the "Boston Celtics" and not just some run of the mill franchise like the Bucks or Raptors or something?  Honestly, who cares.  It's marketing & it was practice shirts.

The NBA is trying to broaden its audience & make some $ here.

But why can't people be upset about them changing the wonderful and beautiful Celtics jersey just to make a tiny bit of money? (though I don't think they've done it to the actual jersey yet?)

People are allowed to be upset about putting ads on the jersey to make more money though?

I think people simply don't want such a huge alteration to something that's we've been seeing for our entire histories.  Especially considering that history and tradition are more important to the Celtics than any other franchise.

That, and of course, there's no where near the same level of Spanish-speaking people in Boston as those other three (that I'm aware of).

People have a right to be upset about changes.  Personally, I think the impending ad thing is going to be terrible and I cringe at the thought of it. 

I really have no problems if the league is doing things like this for a couple of regular season games here & there.  Like I said, it's part of their marketing.  So instead of standard Celtics unis for all 82 regular season games (which wasn't even the case before this), it'll be 77 or something.  I'm fine with that.  This isn't a uniform overhaul.  To me, this is like the Yankees or Red Sox using red,white, & blue in their insignia for a game or something. 

Plus, in this instance, it wasn't even the uniforms.  It was warm ups. 

But to think that the Celtics should be held to a different standard & above this for no real reason besides being the Boston Celtics?  C'mon.

So it's just a coincidence that every player who comes here and is interviewed says something about the higher standard that's expected of them for being a Celtic and putting on our jersey....how different this team is and how all the history and tradition make it special? 

Saying that the Celtics (or Lakers) aren't different than the other franchises is completely ridiculous.  We're so established that ANY change this big should be heavily considered.  This is like if one state wanted to change their star on the flag, even though the change has nothing to do with the other states.  And yet all the rest of us states (and non-Spanish speaking people) still have to look at it.

Of course the Lakers are in the same boat as us (and to a lesser extent Knicks, etc) but I think some people seem to be forgetting that LOS ANGELES AND SAN ANTONIO ARE ALREADY SPANISH WORDS and Miami is nicknamed the "Capital of Latin American."

"Higher standard" meaning being above wearing "Los Celtic" stuff?  Give me a break.  They're one of 30 teams in the NBA.  The NBA is a business.  Marketing is big part of growing the game.   No team should be above anything when it comes to marketing.   Things that are being done for a handful of regular season games? On practice t-shirts?  Does it really matter.  Hell, it'd only be a text change on their uniforms if done.

Yes, teams like the Celtics and the Lakers are held in a different echelon than other franchises.  More history.  The championship factor. Proud franchises & fervent fanbases

It shouldn't mean that they're above getting with the times & marketing their league on a more global basis, though.

Spot on! Totally agree with you.

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
So why aren't we singing the Spanish anthems at the All Star game after Oh Canada?

The Canadians should be the real upset ones here.  They get the anthem, a whole team, a flag in every building, all things the Spanish don't have, yet they don't have anything on the jerseys like "Celtics eh" or "Raptors eh."

Great argument. Not.

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Apparently we're just agreeing to disagree.

I see no universe where a text change to our name is considered minor, and so much so that it doesn't even matter one way or the other.  The jersey is a symbol of Boston.  It's our flag.  Boston doesn't have enough Spanish speaking people to be represented in a Spanish manner.

It has nothing to with being "above marketing," it has to do with making the best decision for us, the fans.

There are literally thousands of ways the NBA could make more money, should we do all of them?  If they want to make the commercials longer for "marketing purposes" we're all supposed to bow down and be okay with that?

I think you forgot to tell Adam Silver to get off your lawn.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The important part is to figure out who makes the most money in the Boston area and advertise to that, whatever it is. You never know. There could be an Eskimo with a lot of money. Also I would have no problem whatsoever with Wampanoag but they won't teach their language to non tribal members so that is out. Actually some Wampanoag would give me a little charge. I'd be jumping up and down.

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

I see no universe where a text change to our name is considered minor, and so much so that it doesn't even matter one way or the other.  The jersey is a symbol of Boston.  It's our flag.  Boston doesn't have enough Spanish speaking people to be represented in a Spanish manner.

It has nothing to with being "above marketing," it has to do with making the best decision for us, the fans.

There are literally thousands of ways the NBA could make more money, should we do all of them?  If they want to make the commercials longer for "marketing purposes" we're all supposed to bow down and be okay with that?

Hahahahaha TP

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Who are these people that don't care about their lawns? I love mine

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
So why aren't we singing the Spanish anthems at the All Star game after Oh Canada?

The Canadians should be the real upset ones here.  They get the anthem, a whole team, a flag in every building, all things the Spanish don't have, yet they don't have anything on the jerseys like "Celtics eh" or "Raptors eh."

Great argument. Not.

Great job recognizing arguments....it was a joke.
Philly:

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Hahahahaha TP

That was supposed to be funny?  I don't even get it, what about the post suggested I was an old man?  Are you sure you're not just going out of your way to disagree/mock me in the same thread 3 consecutive times?
Philly:

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I honestly can't believe this has become an issue on here.
I'll state a few points here:
1) I don't care either way. The jerseys could be blank and I'd still root for the team.
2) Even if a "only" 15% of the Boston area is Hispanic, what businessman in their right mind would not acknowledge 15% of the market?
3) This is literally adding "the" to the jerseys. If the team added "the" in English, there wouldn't be half of the detractors that there are now (which seems to be about 1 or 2). 
4) If "franchise history" is the most important factor in leaving a definite article off of jerseys, why do you guys not like the "Parquet Pride" jerseys- the ones that, you know, were designed to acknowledge Celtics history? Oh, they're uglier than the classic ones and no one cares? Let's just add the word "the" to the front then. Oh wait...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:15:53 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Were any of the other great teams in the league called THE "insert name here" ? THE LAKERS? THE SPURS? THE BULLS? no, they're just called Lakers, Spurs, and Bulls, so why should our team be different?

From another league, you have The Da Bears...

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Were any of the other great teams in the league called THE "insert name here" ? THE LAKERS? THE SPURS? THE BULLS? no, they're just called Lakers, Spurs, and Bulls, so why should our team be different?

From another league, you have The Da Bears...

LOS BEARS!