Author Topic: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?  (Read 41188 times)

Re: When did we wear "Los Celtics" jerseys ?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 12:11:51 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
WOW this thread. Just wow.

I agree with LD42

And people keep asking why free agents don't see Boston as destination. This thread right here is one of the many reasons why

This is just the NBA trying to be global brand. They do things like this to make the game more enticing for fans.

I personally don't mind this at all.

Are ya'll afraid the hispanics are gonna take over your Celtics? Come on. Be real.

Los Celtics just means The Celtics.

Get over it.

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 12:15:30 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
This thread should be pulled.  Come on this is disgraceful

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:41 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

I agree with LD42

And people keep asking why free agents don't see Boston as destination. This thread right here is one of the many reasons why

This is just the NBA trying to be global brand. They do things like this to make the game more enticing for fans.

Are ya'll afraid the hispanics are gonna take over your Celtics? Come on. Be real.

Get over it.

I think it is a great thing that the NBA is expanding so well internationally. It is great for the game.

At the same time, have ANY of the C's jerseys of the past had "The Celtics" on them?

I don't like when we vary from anything than the usual. I think that is something that separates us from a lot of the league.

I think the shooting jackets are cool. I would consider getting one.

But I still wouldn't like it on the game jerseys, for the same reason I hate seeing those grey sleeved jerseys, and still am not a big fan of the Christmas, St. Patty's day jerseys.

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 12:32:26 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

I think it is a great thing that the NBA is expanding so well internationally. It is great for the game.

At the same time, have ANY of the C's jerseys of the past had "The Celtics" on them?

I don't like when we vary from anything than the usual. I think that is something that separates us from a lot of the league.

But I still wouldn't like it on the game jerseys, for the same reason I hate seeing those grey sleeved jerseys, and still am not a big fan of the Christmas, St. Patty's day jerseys.

Were any of the other great teams in the league called THE "insert name here" ? THE LAKERS? THE SPURS? THE BULLS? no, they're just called Lakers, Spurs, and Bulls, so why should our team be different? Why should we be exclusive? Cause we have the most championships?
We like to think of our team as the greatest franchise ever, as we should as Celtics fans, but there are also (as much as I hate to say it) great teams out there.

I agree with keeping tradition, but it's just on our warm ups for godsake, not even the uniforms itself.

The distaste for "los celtics" is purely racial driven, imo.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

What's wrong with the OP asking this question? It's a legitimate question. 

According to the US Census Bureau, San Antonio, LA, and Miami all have Hispanic majorities that would justify this type of branding and make sense, but Hispanics are a much smaller minority in Boston so it doesn't make as much sense.

And if it's a global brand, why are the southern US teams with large Hispanic populations near Mexico wearing the "Los X" shirts instead of northern teams, too? Furthermore, if it's a global brand why aren't they promoting jerseys in Mandarin, French, Dutch, and Greek, too?

Maybe the OP came about it a little rash, but it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask.

P.S.: Hopefully you guys know the whole Ron Swanson meme post was a joke, too.

EDIT: I forgot the Bulls did this, too, so it's not just southern teams.  However, they also have a much higher concentration of Hispanics than Boston, so it further makes more sense for them.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 12:37:43 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

According to the US Census Bureau, San Antonio, LA, and Miami all have Hispanic majorities that would justify this type of branding and make sense, but Hispanics are a much smaller minority in Boston so it doesn't make as much sense.

And if it's a global brand, why are the southern US teams with large Hispanic populations near Mexico wearing the "Los X" shirts instead of northern teams, too? Furthermore, if it's a global brand why aren't they promoting jerseys in Mandarin, French, Dutch, and Greek, too?

Maybe the OP came about it a little rash, but it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:35 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

Boston is at 15% and growing

http://boston.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

It's twice as big as the Asian population

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:51 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

Hmm, I knew they did something for Chinese New Years, but I didn't think they actual had it on their jerseys.

I agree that it is a global brand and that's all they're doing, but I still don't understand how asking that question for Boston is wrong. It's not a majority or large percentage of the population like it is in the other cities, and it's nowhere near a Spanish-speaking country. Granted, Houston doesn't really have a strong Asian population either.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

Boston is at 15% and growing

http://boston.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

It's twice as big as the Asian population
Virtually every city's Hispanic population is growing, so that's not really saying anything.

Plus, that's an extremely small percentage compared to the 60+% that was characteristic of San Antonio and Miami.

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:21 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

Were any of the other great teams in the league called THE "insert name here" ? THE LAKERS? THE SPURS? THE BULLS? no, they're just called Lakers, Spurs, and Bulls, so why should our team be different? Why should we be exclusive? Cause we have the most championships?
We like to think of our team as the greatest franchise ever, as we should as Celtics fans, but there are also (as much as I hate to say it) great teams out there.

I agree with keeping tradition, but it's just on our warm ups for godsake, not even the uniforms itself.

Yes there are, but if I were a fan of those teams, I would also dislike it.

And yes, as I mentioned, I don't mind and even kind of like, the "Los Celtics" warm ups.

"Purely racial driven"

Quite the statement there.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 12:50:07 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

And yes, as I mentioned, I don't mind and even kind of like, the "Lost Celtics" warm ups.

"Purely racial driven"

Agree. It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask about a city like Boston, even if it was asked in a little rash manner.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 12:52:38 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

Hmm, I knew they did something for Chinese New Years, but I didn't think they actual had it on their jerseys.

I agree that it is a global brand and that's all they're doing, but I still don't understand how asking that question for Boston is wrong. It's not a majority or large percentage of the population like it is in the other cities, and it's nowhere near a Spanish-speaking country. Granted, Houston doesn't really have a strong Asian population either.

How about this, the Celtics was/is one of the best franchise in NBA history. So them joining the "los insert name here" marketing makes sense.

If you didn't know the Celtics are not only popular in Boston, or in America. This team is popular world wide. You see this when KG visits China, when Rondo visited the Philippines,they were treated like royalty. I am from Canada and I love the C's, and I'm sure a lot of our Hispanic/Latino brothers are fans too.

The world is changing. Be a part of it.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 12:59:35 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

And yes, as I mentioned, I don't mind and even kind of like, the "Los Celtics" warm ups.

"Purely racial driven"

It is, if it wasn't why would it be brought up anyways?
If OP is an NBA fan he would know that the League has a 15-game Noche Latina schedule in March.

As part of the NBA's first fully-integrated Hispanic marketing campaign, éne•bé•a, the NBA today announced the schedule of this season's Noche Latina (Latin Night) program, which celebrates the league's Hispanic heritage with special telecasts and in-arena festivities, including distinctive NBA team uniforms.
This year, Noche Latina celebrations will begin on March 3 and take place in Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, Chicago, Houston, New York, and Orlando, and highlight the impact of the league's Hispanic players -- including 18 players from six Latin American countries -- while paying tribute to the more than 16 million Hispanic NBA fans across the country.
"With Hispanics comprising 15 percent of our fan base, we have a responsibility to connect with them in meaningful ways," said Saskia Sorrosa, NBA Senior Director of Hispanic Marketing. "Noche Latina is an opportunity for us to thank the Hispanic community for their support and showcase how their pride and passion impact our teams and players."
Noche Latina, first launched during the 2006-07 NBA season, features uniforms that display the team name as spoken by the Latin population. The Miami Heat, for example, is called "El Heat"; the San Antonio Spurs are referred to as "Los Spurs."
To further honor Hispanic fans and players during Noche Latina games, participating teams will host in-arena Latin-themed activities, including music, performances, and giveaways. Noche Latina events will be supported with television and radio advertising on both English- and Spanish-language media across the country as well as on the league's Spanish-language Web site. Noche Latina merchandise, including the special game jerseys produced by adidas, will be available at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, Champs Sports retail stores, online at NBAStore.com, and at in-arena stores for participating teams.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

How about this, the Celtics was/is one of the best franchise in NBA history. So them joining the "los insert name here" marketing makes sense.

If you didn't know the Celtics are not only popular in Boston, or in America. This team is popular world wide. You see this when KG visits China, when Rondo visited the Philippines,they were treated like royalty. I am from Canada and I love the C's, and I'm sure a lot of our Hispanic/Latino brothers are fans too.

Hmm, I'm not a part of an ever-changing world because I don't believe that everything is about race like you do? Cute.

Again, show me how the OP asking that question was wrong other than just positing some notion that were the best franchise in the NBA and it's good for marketing, which again doesn't say anything about how the OP was wrong.

I believe Dr. Ben Carson (could very well be mistaken on attributing this to him) had a very astute quote on these types of situations. It went something like, "The people who are quick to jump to racial motives as explanations are the ones with racial motives on their minds."

The question was a legitimate question that made sense with respect to Boston's demographics, geography, and cultural history. Though it may have come out rash, the question itself is fair without racist undertones.

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 01:41:08 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

I agree with LD42

Get over it.

Hmm, I'm not a part of an ever-changing world because I don't believe that everything is about race like you do? Cute.

Again, show me how the OP asking that question was wrong other than just positing some notion that were the best franchise in the NBA and it's good for marketing, which again doesn't say anything about how the OP was wrong.

I believe Dr. Ben Carson (could very well be mistaken on attributing this to him) had a very astute quote on these types of situations. It went something like, "The people who are quick to jump to racial motives as explanations are the ones with racial motives on their minds."

The question was a legitimate question that made sense with respect to Boston's demographics, geography, and cultural history. Though it may have come out rash, the question itself is fair without racist undertones.

Again, 15% and growing http://boston.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm