Author Topic: its simple cavs are bigger,better and wiser  (Read 8078 times)

Re: its simple cavs are bigger,better and wiser
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
and that's the only reason Indiana lost the series. Not the fact that they collectively choked away an entirely winnable series, but because LeBron made one dirty play.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
still like jerebko-but we need some beef-lebron,love and mozogov,that is some picture with lebron coming at full speed,bradley and avery looked like isiah next to him-and people rate porzingis,

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Cavs were bigger and stronger. Our team looks like little boys.

We need some bigger guys. We must be the smallest team in the league.

Last night we were physically intimidated. Like as in afraid to play hard nose defense. Zeller, who is no where near any type of physical presence,  played 12 minutes...12 minutes.

When the three's didn't go in...it was all but over.

I've said this before, when the Cavs got Mozgof and Perk, they got much bigger and tougher and fast.   

James is not a king, the NBA refs have to stop fearing his wrath and call technicals on him like everyone else. He certainly a great basketball player, but is quickly turning into a bully and a thug if he doesn't get his way.

Mosgov has been huge for them (and is huge).  Team wasn't a contender until he came along and now they look to be headed toward the finals.  Not that he's a great player, but he was just the piece they needed. Their tipping point.

As for the game, we sucked, they were hot, and they have LBJ.  I'm not getting upset about it. We're rebuilding and we're going to lose a lot.  CBS has had them play very competitive ball for most of their games this year.

What I an concerned about is Thomas and his play the last couple of games.  Seeing the warts after the euphoria.  Still a great pickup for a late first rounder and an expiring in terms of talent and contract value though.

You're right, now add Perk, to the Mosgov pick up, and the Cavs and Labron has "back up" muscle.

The C's routinely collapse when confronted with big, veteran, tough front lines. Remember how we played against Washington earlier in the season? If refs are not going to tighten up with the cheap aggressive play then all teams will have to employ enforcer types. Not good.

I agree, Thomas isn't a perfect player, he's a nice piece off the bench that happens to provide energy, exactly what the C's need at times. Unfortunately last night he couldn't figure a way to be effective.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I've said this before, when the Cavs got Mozgof and Perk, they got much bigger and tougher and fast.
Really?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Even more simple:  the Cavs have Lebron. 

Fans can come up with reasons to deny his greatness all they want to, but he's head-and-shoulders above every other player in this league.
Absolutely.  Put him in any team in the league (Sixers and Knicks included) and they make the playoffs.  Put him on any team in top half of league and they become a legitimate title contender. 

That all said, don't put too much into the last night.  Road game after an emotional home defeat to a very good team plus they were due for a clunker.  Lets hope they can shake it tonight but sometimes these things last a couple of games.

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
and that's the only reason Indiana lost the series. Not the fact that they collectively choked away an entirely winnable series, but because LeBron made one dirty play.
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger's ankle is swollen "like a small softball" and he's on "every type of anti-inflammatory" he's ever heard of, but he plans to play Game 6 Thursday night as his team faces elimination against the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Granger sprained his left ankle Tuesday in the first half of the Pacers' 32-point Game 5 loss when he came down on LeBron James' foot after a shot attempt. He attempted to return but didn't last long and has been in a walking boot. But with the season on the line, he's going to try to play through it.

"I have to play," Granger said. "With an elimination game, our backs against the wall, I have to play."

Granger said he might consider taking a numbing injection before the game if the pain is too great. He tried that once in college and didn't like the results. He's hoping adrenaline will help with the pain.

Granger is the Pacers' primary defender on James and said he expects the Heat star to target him early in the game to test his mobility.

"Logic would tell you he would," Granger said. "I know when we know a player has an injury, it's definitely in our mind and we attack it. So I'm sure he will. He's been in attack mode anyway, and I'm sure he'll be even more in attack mode knowing that I'm limited. But I rise to the challenge."

Granger was the Pacers' leading scorer at 18.7 points per game during the regular season. He had 10 points in 20 minutes of the Heat's 115-83 win Tuesday. He's averaging 18.7 points per game in the series.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger's ankle is swollen "like a small softball" and he's on "every type of anti-inflammatory" he's ever heard of, but he plans to play Game 6 Thursday night as his team faces elimination against the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Granger sprained his left ankle Tuesday in the first half of the Pacers' 32-point Game 5 loss when he came down on LeBron James' foot after a shot attempt. He attempted to return but didn't last long and has been in a walking boot. But with the season on the line, he's going to try to play through it.

"I have to play," Granger said. "With an elimination game, our backs against the wall, I have to play."

Granger said he might consider taking a numbing injection before the game if the pain is too great. He tried that once in college and didn't like the results. He's hoping adrenaline will help with the pain.

Granger is the Pacers' primary defender on James and said he expects the Heat star to target him early in the game to test his mobility.

"Logic would tell you he would," Granger said. "I know when we know a player has an injury, it's definitely in our mind and we attack it. So I'm sure he will. He's been in attack mode anyway, and I'm sure he'll be even more in attack mode knowing that I'm limited. But I rise to the challenge."

Granger was the Pacers' leading scorer at 18.7 points per game during the regular season. He had 10 points in 20 minutes of the Heat's 115-83 win Tuesday. He's averaging 18.7 points per game in the series.

Always helps when you cite sources rather than just flat out copying & pasting something with no context of source.  This seems to be a habit of yours.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
the announcer that i listened  to  nba full replay mentioned someone was going to take young away, several times, after they mentioned his age and that he wouldn't stay a celtic---why draft players at young age, build them and then they go warm weather.I don't think that lack of team loyalty is good for fans-why invest in young players ,why get attached, if as soon as players mature they are gone-one and done fosters this from college-lottery picks should be given longer contracts and more money,there should be a sliding scale or something-i am a newcomer to player and team contracts etc

The NBA actually does a pretty good job when it comes to that. All first round picks are given guaranteed contracts, which if my memory serves, gives the drafting team control for the first four years of a players career. Then they go into restricted free agency, where the drafting team has the huge advantage of matching any offer a player gets and keeping him. I'd like to see then do away with "poison pill" contracts but that's another issue. Then there is Bird Rights, which allow a team to go over the cap to resign their own player, and those teams can offer more years and money than other teams on max contracts.

It's so ironic the hate these guys have gotten for taking less money to play for a better team. I get that the hate for Lebron goes back to how he left Cleveland, but it's totally overblown, and he's clearly the best player in the league and has been for some time. If Cleveland did as good a job building a team around LeBron as Chicago did building a team around Jordan, he would have never left.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Just so we're clear, the series in question is this one:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2012_ECS.html#MIA-IND

And the assertion being made is that the Pacers lost by 31 points because they lost Danny Granger for two quarters of play in this game:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201205220MIA.html

Instead, of, I don't know, the fact that Indiana combined to shoot 33% from the field, or that no one on the Heat managed to shoot below 50% except for Mike Miller (0-1) and Norris Cole (1-4). 

Seems reasonable.  ::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Let's admit it's funny that the Celts have surprised us to the point that we thought we'd play them close last night. We've traded our best players, and gotten surprisingly solid play and teamwork with a lesser talent pool. We are developing two rookies, and are missing both our talented young 4's (Kelly & Sully).

The Cavs are gelling right now, and have a much deeper talent pool of experienced guys. The trades they made (Mozgof, Shump, JR .. . even Perk signing) have been really solid. Foul calls or not they blew our doors off.

I'm still excited about the C's but last night was no big surprise. Good Jeff Green might have helped us.

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The Cavs did a heck of a job putting a core together before the season, but the mid season reinforcements are probably enough to put them right in the Finals.

And I wouldn't bet against that lineup.

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the announcer that i listened  to  nba full replay mentioned someone was going to take young away, several times, after they mentioned his age and that he wouldn't stay a celtic---why draft players at young age, build them and then they go warm weather.I don't think that lack of team loyalty is good for fans-why invest in young players ,why get attached, if as soon as players mature they are gone-one and done fosters this from college-lottery picks should be given longer contracts and more money,there should be a sliding scale or something-i am a newcomer to player and team contracts etc

The NBA actually does a pretty good job when it comes to that. All first round picks are given guaranteed contracts, which if my memory serves, gives the drafting team control for the first four years of a players career. Then they go into restricted free agency, where the drafting team has the huge advantage of matching any offer a player gets and keeping him. I'd like to see then do away with "poison pill" contracts but that's another issue. Then there is Bird Rights, which allow a team to go over the cap to resign their own player, and those teams can offer more years and money than other teams on max contracts.

It's so ironic the hate these guys have gotten for taking less money to play for a better team. I get that the hate for Lebron goes back to how he left Cleveland, but it's totally overblown, and he's clearly the best player in the league and has been for some time. If Cleveland did as good a job building a team around LeBron as Chicago did building a team around Jordan, he would have never left.
tp for your info

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Just like we don't overreact after a good win, it's important not to overreact in a bad loss.

Especially one where we shoot so badly from three.  We were super cold after the start and that killed us.

Ideally you don't rely on the three so much but with our talent level and small ball strengths you just have to.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 02:35:26 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Fans can come up with reasons to deny his greatness all they want to, but he's head-and-shoulders above every other player in this league.
Yep.  Pretty much.  The hate he gets is truly astonishing.
I don't think it's astonishing

He was the first big superstar of this new generation where players care as much about their brand as basketball

"Republicans buy sneakers too."
Jordan earned it on the court before his brand started

James was "king" before he was in the league
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 02:48:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yep.  Pretty much.  The hate he gets is truly astonishing.
I don't think it's astonishing

He was the first big superstar of this new generation where players care as much about their brand as basketball

"Republicans buy sneakers too."
Jordan earned it on the court before his brand started

James was "king" before he was in the league

You realize that Jordan signed with Nike before his rookie year and the first pair of Air Jordan's came out at the beginning of his rookie season, right?

He hadn't done squat in the NBA at that point.  If you want to consider what he did at UNC & the '84 Olympics, then fine.  However, he hadn't earned anything at the pro level on the court yet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team