Author Topic: marcus smart needs to earn starting pg duty  (Read 12693 times)

Re: marcus smart needs to earn starting pg duty
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Probably important to note that 'athletic' refers to Smart's place among his peers, not compared to the world population at large.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd like to see Smart attack the basket a little more offensively.

Other than that, I think he's doing fine as the starting point guard, considering he's a rookie.

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
He's a lumbering, unexplosive, non-quick athlete (who happens to be very strong and quick laterally).  So yes, give him credit for his defensive skill set.  But there have been plenty of players that were very good defenders but yet not particularly athletic.  Too many to name really.

Lumbering?

Name just one elite, defensive point guard who is/was not particularly athletic early in their career. I can't think of any.

I think you have a very narrow view of athleticism. We're talking about a guy who is 6'3" 220lbs with a 36 inch vertical, is unusually strong for his position, and who excels at guarding NBA guards. Obviously he has different strengths than e.g. a John Wall or Derrick Rose coming out of college, but that's not the same thing as un-athletic.

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
It’s still too early to judge Marcus' offense game. He’s a rookie doing whatever he can to contribute NOW. He’s super confident on defense, so he knows it will keep him on the floor.

I can’t believe a kid that plays this hard on every play, won’t spend each offseason improving his skill set to compete at a higher level the next season.

I don’t get this “Slow Unathletic  Marcus” that some others are seeing.  On offense he’s still learning the NBA game, he’s a tic behind and it appears slow, but I don’t think its athleticism, its timing.  I suppose some expect him to drive and dish on every play, avg 15 FT and 10 assists.  Give the kid some time to grow.

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Two more things I love about Smart

His court vision and his defense (as he just made a sweet steal at the end of the 2nd quarter vs Utah.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:44:48 PM by gpap »

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:36 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Oh Smart is lumbering?  Oh god  ::)
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I don't know how much some of you guys expect to see from a rookie.  I'm not sure where these studs are all throughout drafts that come in and are playing very well in their first year.  I'm not seeing them.

Also, you don't need to be an All Star to be good.
Its not that hard really.  You evaluate skill sets. And you expect to see flashes.  I see precious little of either in Smart.  At this point, he is a below average ball handler, below average court vision, below average quickness, below average athlete, below average shooter, below average getting to the rim, and below average finisher. And some of these won't change and most probably won't.

I agree with you. We are not allowed to criticize Smart around here. He is an amazing defender, but bad ball handler, not quick enough and maybe even not a PG. In my opinion he's a great guy to come off the bench and defend, not a starter and not a sixth pick. I didn't want to draft him, but now he's here. But we need another PG for the future in my opinion. I'd trade him for a good option.

I accept all the other opinions about him. Respectfully disagree, though.

It's okay to criticize, but when you make outrageous claims that he is "lumbering" then it's bad criticism.

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think it's kinda funny this thread starts and Smart gets Rookie of the month today.... :D

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 11:32:03 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He's a lumbering, unexplosive, non-quick athlete (who happens to be very strong and quick laterally).  So yes, give him credit for his defensive skill set.  But there have been plenty of players that were very good defenders but yet not particularly athletic.  Too many to name really.

Lumbering?

Name just one elite, defensive point guard who is/was not particularly athletic early in their career. I can't think of any.

I think you have a very narrow view of athleticism. We're talking about a guy who is 6'3" 220lbs with a 36 inch vertical, is unusually strong for his position, and who excels at guarding NBA guards. Obviously he has different strengths than e.g. a John Wall or Derrick Rose coming out of college, but that's not the same thing as un-athletic.
Its called exaggerating to make a point.  You had some people around here comparing him to Westbrook when he was drafted.  Obviously we know he isn't that.  Not close and average at best.

Has smart driven by anyone all year?  I mean, really blown by someone.

And not super athletic defenders include Derrick fisher, bruce Bowen, Greg Anthony, joe dumars.  Sure, they could all dunk.  But none was an elite athlete.

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 11:41:38 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Lumbering?

Its called exaggerating to make a point.  You had some people around here comparing him to Westbrook when he was drafted.  Obviously we know he isn't that.  Not close and average at best.

And not super athletic defenders include Derrick fisher, bruce Bowen, Greg Anthony, joe dumars.  Sure, they could all dunk.  But none was an elite athlete.
Also known as hyperbole

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 11:42:16 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Lumbering?

Saying he's lumbering is a misrepresentation of Smart rather than an exaggeration. I really don't understand what's your deal with Smart especially since it's his rookie year. Would you prefer Dante Exum or Julius Randle instead?

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:03 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Lumbering?

Saying he's lumbering is a misrepresentation of Smart rather than an exaggeration. I really don't understand what's your deal with Smart especially since it's his rookie year. Would you prefer Dante Exum or Julius Randle instead?
He's a plodder.  Is that better?  I know people don't want to hear it but I call them as I see them.

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 11:56:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Lumbering?

He's a plodder.  Is that better?  I know people don't want to hear it but I call them as I see them.

No that's not true either.

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I love smart, he is my favorite celtic since KG and paul left.

That being said he does not have the elite blow by quickness of many of the best guards in the league. Nor does he have the natural feel for finishing over length and lastly his handle and shot are bad right now.

These are all good points.

You are correct he will never be john wall or Westbrook. But once he improves his handle and learns how to use his body I believe he will become an average-slightly above average player when it comes to driving to the hoop. He could finish fine in college and I expect that to improve as he gets used to the bigger nba bodies.

Lastly his court vision, defense, and clutch ness/guts/ leadership are all very important qualities which I believe he is already elite in or can be elite (yes I am stretching big time on court vision but he finds cutters really we'll, we don't ask him to really handle the ball that much and I expect his assist numbers to go up as he handles the ball more.)

I get that it's dissapointing to get a guy who will probably max out at 17-8 (that would be fantastic) at #6 in the draft but I think if he does get to that point with his scoring then I think he will be one of the most valuable players in the nba

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 03:27:24 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I was at the game tonight, I really don't get the complaints about his offensive output. Stevens is clearly parking Marcus right around the the three point line for the sole purposes of swing passes and 3 point shots. He's in the game for his defense.

I think they ran one actual play for him, and he couldn't of shot more than 5 or 6 shots. Smart spent us much time in the game as anyone, and in all that time on the floor he initiated the offense probably 20% of the trips up court. There was a few times he had a good chance to drive to the hoop, a couple of which he took, one he shoulda got a call on. Considering, I think averaging 10 PPG last month is pretty good on 5-7 shots a game.

He could average 16-5-4 in his prime and still be one of the most valuable players on a contending team simply because of his intangibles and elite defense. That steal before halftime did something for that team. Hell, considering how poorly we shot in the first half, you could make a case his and AB's defense kept that game in reach