Author Topic: marcus smart needs to earn starting pg duty  (Read 12694 times)

Re: marcus smart needs to earn starting pg duty
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 12:53:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't know how much some of you guys expect to see from a rookie.  I'm not sure where these studs are all throughout drafts that come in and are playing very well in their first year.  I'm not seeing them.

Also, you don't need to be an All Star to be good.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:02:07 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would like to have turner and Thomas playing point.  marcus is not ready yet.  that has to be apparent to anyone.  playing marcus at pg locks us into turner at sf because marcus isn't ready yet so we need a point forward.

If we weren't locked into turner at sf then we could try jerebko at sf.  I would like to see if he can be the scoring sf that we need but that unfortunately will not happen because brad has locked in on a pg that scores less than rondo at this point in his career and gets few assists.

there needs to be a better answer to turner trying to guard the lebrons of this world (fortunately there is only one).  But Turner is not the answer at SF just like Marcus is not the answer at PG.

There needs to be a better answer to these scoring droughts.  Coach we need to find playing time for people who can put the ball through the hoop.  Coach your line-up if full of people who are not threats to score.  Try this

Turner/ Thomas/ Smart
Bradley / Smart
Jerebko/Turner
Bass/Oly
Oly/Zeller

So you don't want Turner guarding James, but you want Jerebko to do it? I see you're also benching Crowder and Young (who needs minutes for his development).

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:22 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't know how much some of you guys expect to see from a rookie.  I'm not sure where these studs are all throughout drafts that come in and are playing very well in their first year.  I'm not seeing them.

Its not that hard really.  You evaluate skill sets. And you expect to see flashes.  I see precious little of either in Smart.  At this point, he is a below average ball handler, below average court vision, below average quickness, below average athlete, below average shooter, below average getting to the rim, and below average finisher. And some of these won't change and most probably won't.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 03:35:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rookie wall is coming up.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 06:46:33 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
please take into account this is a YOUNG rookie, not a four year college kid
he has shown all nba defense, confidence…he isn't afraid to shoot, good iq, leadership qualities
sure he needs to work on his game, i wouldn't think of how good he will be until end of second year

evan turner is not the answer at pg, i'm happy with him as sixth man catch all player at pg, sg and sf or now as starting sf also his contract is team friendly, he is a guy that should be working on defense to prove himself worthy of another team (or ours) interest when that short affordable contract is up

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Its not that hard really.  You evaluate skill sets. And you expect to see flashes.  I see precious little of either in Smart.  At this point, he is a below average ball handler, below average court vision, below average quickness, below average athlete, below average shooter, below average getting to the rim, and below average finisher. And some of these won't change and most probably won't.

I agree with you. We are not allowed to criticize Smart around here. He is an amazing defender, but bad ball handler, not quick enough and maybe even not a PG. In my opinion he's a great guy to come off the bench and defend, not a starter and not a sixth pick. I didn't want to draft him, but now he's here. But we need another PG for the future in my opinion. I'd trade him for a good option.

I accept all the other opinions about him. Respectfully disagree, though.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 09:15:34 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it came from a bad loss, I don't really mind that. You are facing one of the top team in the league and against arguably the best player in the league today. With that said, Marcus is also facing one of the league's best pg in Irving. I believe Marcus has EARNED his starting position.

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

I agree with you. We are not allowed to criticize Smart around here. He is an amazing defender, but bad ball handler, not quick enough and maybe even not a PG. In my opinion he's a great guy to come off the bench and defend, not a starter and not a sixth pick. I didn't want to draft him, but now he's here. But we need another PG for the future in my opinion. I'd trade him for a good option.

I still maintain that Smart's true position is SG and that he would've been a bigger, stronger 2012 Avery Bradley (spot-up jumpers, defense, smart cuts) with better ball-skill and court vision if he were put next to Rondo. If Rondo this year was 2012 Rondo, he and Smart would have been a heck of a backcourt. Smart actually has legit SG size. 

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
How did he defend Kyrie last night? It's hard to tell from the box score, and I (I guess thankfully) couldn't catch the game.

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

I still maintain that Smart's true position is SG and that he would've been a bigger, stronger 2012 Avery Bradley (spot-up jumpers, defense, smart cuts) with better ball-skill and court vision if he were put next to Rondo. If Rondo this year was 2012 Rondo, he and Smart would have been a heck of a backcourt. Smart actually has legit SG size.

Agreed, TP.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
its not just marcus, its more the coaching.  Brad is trying to force marcus to be something that he is not.  He is a 2 guard who is a streaky shooter.  Problem is that we already have a 2 guard who is a good shooter and defender in AB.

What we lack is scoring from the sf position.  I'm sure we can all agree on that.  Turner is not the answer at sf as he is not a great scoring option.  He is a better answer at point guard than small forward.

we need to find scoring for the small forward position.  We know Jerebko can score and is reasonably quick for a big. We all like the tenacity of Crowder but he too is a streaky shooter.  Datome is an Italian league MVP.  We need to find scoring at the SF and get Kelly back on the court.

I would like to see

turner/Thomas
Bradley/smart
jerebko/crowder
bass/oly/jerebko
oly/zeller

we won't know what it looks like until we try it.

We can't compete offensively without good offensive players on the court. 

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Man, people around here are hoping in one hand (regarding Smart) and ****ting in the other.  Let's see which one fills up first.

Except for defense, I see NOTHING that tells me smart will be a good player, never mind a star player.

Yup. There is no proof based on his play this year he will ever be an all star caliber guard. His refusal to consistently try to break down a defense is disappointing.

I appreciate the hustle and defense. I do. It's great but his offense honestly leaves you wanting more for a guy picked 6th overall.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or a bust. Too early to tell. But for anyone telling me he's going to be a top three player on a contender someday, well, that is pretty optimistic. That's what Id expect out of a top six pick. That's why Id draft a Player there.

If all smart is, is a very good role player, like a Derek Fisher in his prime then I'll be disappointed.
I have to admit he's not as good as the optimistic draftniks proposed.  Terrific D, his shot is improving but he's not looking like a natural PG to me.  better ball handler and distributor than AB to be sure but that's not a high standard to beat.

I was hoping at worst we'd have a guard that would drive to the hoop more frequently to draw fouls and get to the line -- much like IT is doing at the moment.  Smart may develop into that guy but I was hoping he'd already BE that guy.

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I also think that grading a rookie is unfair unless it's against other rookies at his position. So that being said,

3 Rookie PG comparison per 36 minutes http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/0dF0E

I'll take number 36.

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

And frankly, that's the problem.  He doesn't really have the skills for either position (classic tweener).  At least not on the offensive end.

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I also think that grading a rookie is unfair unless it's against other rookies at his position. So that being said,

3 Rookie PG comparison per 36 minutes http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/0dF0E

I'll take number 36.

Those numbers surprised me. I'd take him over the others, too.

His fg% is God-awful, but that is explained in his shot selection, which HAS to at least be in part due to Stevens telling him to let it fly from distance.