Author Topic: marcus smart needs to earn starting pg duty  (Read 12688 times)

marcus smart needs to earn starting pg duty
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
I would like to have turner and Thomas playing point.  marcus is not ready yet.  that has to be apparent to anyone.  playing marcus at pg locks us into turner at sf because marcus isn't ready yet so we need a point forward.

If we weren't locked into turner at sf then we could try jerebko at sf.  I would like to see if he can be the scoring sf that we need but that unfortunately will not happen because brad has locked in on a pg that scores less than rondo at this point in his career and gets few assists.

there needs to be a better answer to turner trying to guard the lebrons of this world (fortunately there is only one).  But Turner is not the answer at SF just like Marcus is not the answer at PG.

There needs to be a better answer to these scoring droughts.  Coach we need to find playing time for people who can put the ball through the hoop.  Coach your line-up if full of people who are not threats to score.  Try this

Turner/ Thomas/ Smart
Bradley / Smart
Jerebko/Turner
Bass/Oly
Oly/Zeller

Re: marcus smart needs to earn starting pg duty
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
No.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
As disappointed as I have been with him I'll accept the part where he significantly slowed down James Harden as having "earned" it

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:36 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Start Smart and Thomas.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:43:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would like to have turner and Thomas playing point.

Could this be the reason your not coaching in the NBA?

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Smaht is fine! His best is ahead!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:50:23 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I agree, but only because I want to tank really hard from now on.  Let's get Luigi to play Point Forward, he's got some handles ;)

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I would like to have turner and Thomas playing point.

Could this be the reason your not coaching in the NBA?

The thought of Isaiah guarding John Wall, Lowry, Kyrie, 3-surgery Derrick Rose, Lillard, Westbrook, and 23 other starting Point Guards in the league...

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Start Smart and Thomas.

TP. People don't seem to understand that Smart isn't producing a lot of points simply because he isn't being asked to. Just because someone is playing 30 MPG doesn't mean they should be expected to carry the scoring load. AB shooting 15-20 times a game and Smart never shooting more than 10 isn't because Smart isn't being aggressive enough. It's because Stevens wants Smart to do the thing he's best at. Play defense. The rest will show with time.

Lots of players, including some of the best, played very limited roles with their teams during their rookie season, generally doing whatever they're best at. Smart has earned the playing time he's gotten this season with his superb defense. The offense will come.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:50 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He does earn it, by bringing it every single night. If his shot isn't falling, that's okay - he does so many other things well.

ET and Thomas sounds like an epically bad defensive tandem, and subbing in Shavlik won't help either.

I think it's Thomas who needs to earn it - by putting in extra effort on D, every night, like Smart does.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 12:34:23 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Man, people around here are hoping in one hand (regarding Smart) and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ting in the other.  Let's see which one fills up first.

Except for defense, I see NOTHING that tells me smart will be a good player, never mind a star player.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 12:48:47 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Except for defense, I see NOTHING that tells me smart will be a good player, never mind a star player.

Except for half the game, nothing good, huh?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 12:51:51 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Man, people around here are hoping in one hand (regarding Smart) and ****ting in the other.  Let's see which one fills up first.

Yup. There is no proof based on his play this year he will ever be an all star caliber guard. His refusal to consistently try to break down a defense is disappointing.

I appreciate the hustle and defense. I do. It's great but his offense honestly leaves you wanting more for a guy picked 6th overall.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or a bust. Too early to tell. But for anyone telling me he's going to be a top three player on a contender someday, well, that is pretty optimistic. That's what Id expect out of a top six pick. That's why Id draft a Player there.

If all smart is, is a very good role player, like a Derek Fisher in his prime then I'll be disappointed.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14