Author Topic: If Revis and Mccourty Walk should the pats trade Brady?  (Read 13901 times)

Re: If Revis and Mccourty Walk should the pats trade Brady?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
To OP no.

To avoid embarrassing yourself (and by extension, all Boston sports fans) in the future, you should probably keep such a thought to yourself next time, or at least not broadcast it on social media.
Talking about the sacred cow of a franchise isn't embarassing even if the thought is foolish, demanding others be silent is embarassing.

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Mankins
Vrabel
Mcginnist
Welker
Milloy
Moss
Branch

Im probably missing some more but those are guys off the top of my head that left the team in surprising fashion.  All very good/all pro caliber players.

Why this idea is so outlandish is funny to me
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
To OP no.

To avoid embarrassing yourself (and by extension, all Boston sports fans) in the future, you should probably keep such a thought to yourself next time, or at least not broadcast it on social media.
Talking about the sacred cow of a franchise isn't embarassing even if the thought is foolish, demanding others be silent is embarassing.

While I appreciate the backup, I think Dino may have been insinuating that sharing an idea here where we discuss things civilly but opening myself up to punishment on twitter may not be a good idea
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Correct.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
To OP no.

While I appreciate the backup, I think Dino may have been insinuating that sharing an idea here where we discuss things civilly but opening myself up to punishment on twitter may not be a good idea
I understood what he was saying. I stand by what I said. Your reading of him is very charitable and wasn't in fact what he wrote.

If idiots want to attack you on twitter that's on them, no embarassment for you at all.

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Uh...no.  Blow things up because two members of your secondary leave?  C'mon....

You take cap space now available and you adjust through either replacing those guys with other DBs via free agency or promote your own DBs from depth and addressing other positions of need via FA.

This team is coming off a 12-4 season is a relatively weak conference and with their own divisional opponents (BUF, MIA, NYJ) rebuilding & not looking like serious threats to win the AFC East.

Barring injuries or other unforseen events, this team is, at minimum, still a top echelon AFC team even without McCourty & Revis.

Sure but you are talking about losing a legit GOAT talent in Darrelle Revis.  Pats can spend a lot of money and not come close to replacing him. 

I think if Pats Keep Revis and replace Mccourty they will be ok. 

No Revis, im not sure if we make the AFCCG next year

Pats made 3 straight AFCCG (with another SB appearance) before he came in.    It's not the end of the world if they lose him and I would expect them to remain competitive and near the top of the AFC (given that conference's current condition) next season. 

I'll make this clear, though.  I want to resign Revis.  The impact he made on that defense this past season was unworldly.  He had himself a heckuva Super Bowl (besides colliding with an umpire) and earned every penny of his deal.  I don't want to see him go.  I just don't think losing him & McCourty spells time for rebuild for the Pats.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also, it really comes down to.  Do you trade Brady now and get something for him. 

OR do you likely lose him after 2017 anyways and roll with a team that I don't think can win the superbowl for the next two year. 

(Based strictly on the assumption Revis and Mccourty both walk)

That's not really a serious discussion. First, it's never going to happen. Second, even if we entertain the academic discussion on this, what something do you expect to get that will justify trading away an all-time great QB?
Im not sure.  But seeing as how Logan Mankins was traded for Tim Wright and a 4th, I dunno what the pats would be looking for.
Logan Mankins is a nice player, but he's no Tom Brady. Also, Tim Wright was third on the team in receiving TDs this season :P

Logan Mankins was also at the end of his chain and Belichick knew it too.  He rolled the dice on risking getting rid of him a year too early but nothing Mankins did in TB suggests that the Pats erred in making that trade.

Brady is coming off another Pro Bowl season and is still a top 5 QB in the game.   He certainly looks like he can maintain a high level for another few seasons.  The writing was starting to appear on the wall with Mankins.   The big concern was how his departure would affect the continuity of the line.  As we saw, it took a good month & a half to figure it out.

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
To OP no.

I understood what he was saying. I stand by what I said. Your reading of him is very charitable and wasn't in fact what he wrote.

If idiots want to attack you on twitter that's on them, no embarassment for you at all.

Giving people the benefit of the doubt, new years resolution  :)

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Uh...no.  Blow things up because two members of your secondary leave?  C'mon....

You take cap space now available and you adjust through either replacing those guys with other DBs via free agency or promote your own DBs from depth and addressing other positions of need via FA.

This team is coming off a 12-4 season is a relatively weak conference and with their own divisional opponents (BUF, MIA, NYJ) rebuilding & not looking like serious threats to win the AFC East.

Barring injuries or other unforseen events, this team is, at minimum, still a top echelon AFC team even without McCourty & Revis.

Sure but you are talking about losing a legit GOAT talent in Darrelle Revis.  Pats can spend a lot of money and not come close to replacing him. 

I think if Pats Keep Revis and replace Mccourty they will be ok. 

No Revis, im not sure if we make the AFCCG next year

Pats made 3 straight AFCCG (with another SB appearance) before he came in.    It's not the end of the world if they lose him and I would expect them to remain competitive and near the top of the AFC (given that conference's current condition) next season. 

I'll make this clear, though.  I want to resign Revis.  The impact he made on that defense this past season was unworldly.  He had himself a heckuva Super Bowl (besides colliding with an umpire) and earned every penny of his deal.  I don't want to see him go.  I just don't think losing him & McCourty spells time for rebuild for the Pats.

I think no Revis means no more superbowl victories. I 100% believe that.  McCourty I could deal with though. 

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Logan Mankins was also at the end of his chain and Belichick knew it too.  He rolled the dice on risking getting rid of him a year too early but nothing Mankins did in TB suggests that the Pats erred in making that trade.

Brady is coming off another Pro Bowl season and is still a top 5 QB in the game.   He certainly looks like he can maintain a high level for another few seasons.  The writing was starting to appear on the wall with Mankins.   The big concern was how his departure would affect the continuity of the line.  As we saw, it took a good month & a half to figure it out.
There were two parts to this trade: (1) the team simply didn't want his $7 million cap hit, and (2) Stork made one of our interior linemen expendable, and Mankins had the dubious distinction of being the least versatile and most highly paid one. Given that none of the other young linemen has stepped up, it will be interesting what they'll do with Connolly this offseason.

As for the other stuff, we're more likely to win another SB with Brady and no McCourty/Revis than the other way around. And there isn't exactly a young stud breathing down his neck, either. Yes, we drafted Jimmy G and he had a decent rookie season. Then again, so did Ryan Mallett four years ago.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Mankins
Vrabel
Mcginnist
Welker
Milloy
Moss
Branch

Im probably missing some more but those are guys off the top of my head that left the team in surprising fashion.  All very good/all pro caliber players.

I wouldn't use the term "outlandish" but I find it extremely far-fetched coming off a season where they won the Super Bowl and that the notion that losing Revis & McCourty leading to a situation where you would "blow it up" and move the starting QB for assets (whatever those might be).  A starting QB that is the single biggest reason why this team has remained in contendership for the past 15 years.

As to the list above, you neglected the biggest one that came back to hurt them, IMO.  Asante Samuel.

Of those on the list, Branch is probably the only one you could really argue hurt them.  Especially when you consider how the 2006 season went down & how it finished in the AFCCG in Indy. 

Losing all those other guys didn't really hurt them much.  Welker may have been a year too early and Milloy had some good years after leaving but both were more financial considerations than anything else.

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Mankins
Vrabel
Mcginnist
Welker
Milloy
Moss
Branch

Mostly because neither of those guys is the QB. That is all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
No. 
To quote some Pats cliche sayings...
Next man up.  Do your job. 

McCourty is very good but he's not a game changer.
Revis is a game changer.  There would definitely be an impact if he left with the size of the impact dependent on who they replace him with.   
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 02:11:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Didn't I see this thread a couple of years ago?

Why do you trade a multi-winning Super Bowl MVP off a season they won another MVP?

To get a chance to draft a QB in a weak QB draft? 

Please, look at those franchises still trying to replace an top QB season after season?  How long has Miami been looking?  Close to 20 years?

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Just started thinking about this last night.  I think if Revis and McCourty leave the team, the pats will likely be playoff bound again but defensively not strong enough to challenge for a title. 

If they can't challenge for a title do they trade Brady and officially start the rebuild?

No. There is a legit chance that neither is back with the Pats next year. Not re-signing Revis and McCourty means the Pats will have a boatload of cash to spend in free agency, so the Pats will be fine. And they will need to spend the cash, BTW.
Celtics fan for life.