Author Topic: C's free agent targets in the off season  (Read 22929 times)

Re: C's free agent targets in the off season
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Realistically we won't get any of these guys

Exactly what I'm thinking;

- Jordan is surrounded by all stars to challenge for chips and gets to live in LA for a billionaire owner
- Gasol has a championship team already whole will pay to keep him
- Butler will be matched as he is the bulls future and they will let others walk to accommodate him like they did with Deng
- Leonard is the same as Butler, he is the future of the franchise
-Monroe is a power forward with no shot blocking skills so unless we rid ourselves of Sully and Olynyk I don't see it happening

The only possibility is maybe a sign and trade for Love in exchange for Sully and picks or Asik but we'll prob have to over pay

I agree that most of these situations are long shots. The exception maybe Monroe. If he can be sold on being a building block for the celtics he might be persuaded to join. I agree that this will require DA to move either Sully or KO. I suspect Sully would be the guy out and hopefully in doing so the Cs could upgrade at the SF. I could see a Zeller, Monroe, KO 3 big rotation working pretty well. They will not to great on D but will have great size. That much size in a rotation coupled with strong perimeter defenders could make for an at least average defensive unit.

I think the Clippers can't afford to go to the max with Jordan if they don't make it to at least the conference finals this year.  Doing so puts them well into the luxury tax in a year in which they pay the repeater penalty.  So that's a drawback.  Furthermore, from a basketball standpoint, going to that level means they've got to take their team that wasn't good enough and add one player at the taxpayer MLE and players at the minimum.  They can't make a sign-and-trade.  There's no draft pick to use for trade or depth.  Furthermore, they'd likely wind up as one of two teams who did not have cap room the following summer, in which most teams will be flush and players will laugh at veteran free agent offers.  Signing Jordan could put a cap on how good the Clippers will be, and if they bow out in the first or second round again, it might make sense to consider a different direction.  It might make more sense instead to call the team Jordan is signing with and offer draft compensation (2nd round pick, or maybe protected first for exception that large) to get a huge trade exception with which they can add a player on an expiring deal.  Say Golden State is willing to give a pick to stay under the luxury tax by moving David Lee for example.  Getting a trade exception for Jordan and a pick would enable them to get a pick back, fill some of the void left by Jordan, keeping the team competitive next year, while enabling them to offer a star max dollars, LA, and playing alongside Paul and Griffin in the summer of 2016.

Again, if they advance far in the playoffs/win it all, going in a new direction might make less sense.  But if they don't, figuring out how to shift gears is a reasonable strategy, and letting Jordan walk is the best way to shift gears.

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
s+t for monroe ( Sully and a pick)

sign Jordan, Hibbert, or Asik (most likely option)

Draft or trade up to top 5 pick for Stanley Johnson

PG: Smart                    / Thomas              /
SG: AB                         / Young                 /
SF: Stanley Johnson    / Crowder             /
PF: Monroe                  / KO                      /
 C:  Asik                       / Zellar                  /

I love the defense in this starting lineup , the scoring is adequate , bench is pretty strong .

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I'm torn on Jordan. He obviously is an elite rebounder and rim protector but to pay big money to a guy who averages 11ppg in 34 min and is a huge FT liability worries me.

How about these numbers as a counter argument:

He has 14.4 rebounds a game (1st in the NBA), which is 1.5 rbg more than the #2 on the list (Andre Drummond).  He's averaging 20.2 rebounds over the last 9 games.

His FG% is .717 (1st in the NBA), with the #2 on the list being Tyson Chandler at .677 and the #5 on the list is Valancuiunas at .559.  That is CRAZY.  Wilt Chamberlin has the all time record and it's .72 and the second best ever is Wilt's .68.  So basically, DeAndre could have the second best fg% of all time this season and has a very realistic shot at the record.

He's averaging 2.28 blocks a game (4th in the NBA)

Since Blake has gone down, he's looked like a beast.  I would give him $20 m / year and feel good about it.

Agreed. I wouldn't hesitate. The one thing that's rarely mentioned is how awesome he is in defending the pick and roll. That's such an important, yet underrated, aspect for a big nowadays.

FYI, my package for Noel is this years first and Philly's second back to them.  Don't think I go much more and I don't think it would take much more. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:19:30 AM by boscel33 »
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no problem with Monroe as starting PF but he doesn't have Sully's hands or passing and he's more expensive, particularly with his next contract.  If we're sending Sully and a pick (must be very late first or a second) they need to take Wallace.  They're getting someone good for someone they're going to lose anyway.

I really don't see any of these guys signing with us.  Jordan and Asik are starting on good teams.  Hibbert will be with West and George next year plus a good player from this draft so they'll be back at the top of the conference. 

no one's giving up a top 5 pick in this draft without the C's grossly overpaying to do so.  even if the C's could do so at a reasonable cost, I wouldn't do it for Stanley.  Since a top center is unlikely to leave a better team to come here as a free agent, I think C's will do what they can to get WCS or worst case, Myles Turner.  In any case, I really see the C's filling the center spot via the draft or signing Monroe to play him there and then  taking a scoring wing with the Clips pick.

I love the defense in this starting lineup , the scoring is adequate , bench is pretty strong .
more likely roster
Guards: IT, Smart, AB, Young, Clip's first,
SF: Turner, Wallace, Crowder (think he'll be resigned)
Bigs: Zeller, Sully, KO, C's first, Monroe (signed as FA without S&T)
13 players

Other: Sixers second rounder, C's second rounder/Pressey
15-man roster.

nothing dramatic this offseason.  probably no big moves until next trading deadline or the 2016 offseason when the multitude of picks they have become known assets in terms of draft position. 

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2015, 11:21:28 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
- If we stretch Wallace we end up with the second largest amount of freee cap and yet may well be unable to use it. I'd expect that any team that really wants to keep a player will given that cap is going to explode in 2016 and the team who went over the tax line would be back under the next year.  It's also not a great FA crop.  One exception might be the Bulls who are notoriously tight.

- As for Jordan, he's a much better player (along with Griffin) since Doc went there.  Ballmer overpaid for the franchise by at least a half billion. Expect them to pay to keep jordan.

- Kyler who wrote the article is probably the best guy over at BI along with Larry Coon of CBA FAQ fame. Kyler's weekly rumors chat is one of the ones I look for each week (along with Chad  Ford this time of the year). As far as their mock draft is concerned, the second tier of prospects have been all over the place in mocks. I wouldn't be shocked at Kaminsky going higher than the late lottery either.

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I also like the idea of trading Sully for Monroe. This latest conditioning issue proves Sullinger is just not going to cut it and you're also getting a big upgrade in Monroe.

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

I'm torn on Jordan. He obviously is an elite rebounder and rim protector but to pay big money to a guy who averages 11ppg in 34 min and is a huge FT liability worries me.

He has 14.4 rebounds a game (1st in the NBA), which is 1.5 rbg more than the #2 on the list (Andre Drummond).  He's averaging 20.2 rebounds over the last 9 games.

His FG% is .717 (1st in the NBA), with the #2 on the list being Tyson Chandler at .677 and the #5 on the list is Valancuiunas at .559.  That is CRAZY.  Wilt Chamberlin has the all time record and it's .72 and the second best ever is Wilt's .68.  So basically, DeAndre could have the second best fg% of all time this season and has a very realistic shot at the record.

Since Blake has gone down, he's looked like a beast.  I would give him $20 m / year and feel good about it.

Agreed. I wouldn't hesitate. The one thing that's rarely mentioned is how awesome he is in defending the pick and roll. That's such an important, yet underrated, aspect for a big nowadays.

FYI, my package for Noel is this years first and Philly's second back to them.  Don't think I go much more and I don't think it would take much more.

Please, pull the trigger, Hinkie!
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If the Sixers get Okafor, I would trade them more than that to get Embiid.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Was just going to say that about Embiid.  My dream is still Cousins in the offseason.  I'm not convinced Monroe (more of a PF than a center IMO) is that much of an upgrade over Sully, and considering how expensive he will be I'm not sure I would go that way. 

Maybe go after someone like Byombo that wouldn't cost that much in a trade I would think (he might even be a RFA this offseason) that still has upside left as a really good defensive center

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

See, I would love to get Embiid. But Embiid without a doubt has a higher ceiling than Okafor, much higher in fact. So why would the Sixers trade Embiid to go with Okafor instead then? I just don't think Embiid becomes available without a ridiculous overpay or there's something wrong with him either physically (back and/or foot) or attitudinally. Noel would have to be the odd man out of the three.