Author Topic: C's free agent targets in the off season  (Read 22850 times)

Re: C's free agent targets in the off season
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 10:39:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Asik is a better defender than Jordan.

I think he's a better one on one defender, but Jordan is the better rim protector, help defender, rebounder, and pick and roll defender. Plus, Jordan is better offensively with his ability to catch lobs, run the floor, and finish around the rim.

Jordan is the better shot blocker.  Asik is the better pick and roll defender.  I think Asik's better at rotations and help defense.  He has better defensive instincts and is more consistent.  I consider them even on rebounding.

Asik is better at passing and free throw shooting.  They're both fifth option type guys, so Jordan's shooting percentage doesn't impress me that much.  He's basically able to catch the ball better than Asik.

And Asik will almost certainly come cheaper.  Plus, I think he is a better fit for the mentality that Stevens is trying to build.

Agree about this: "I think he is a better fit for the mentality that Stevens is trying to build."

My concerne is money. He is getting 15m this year. I would not pay him that much.

I'm not sure it would take that much, but I prefer Asik at 15m vs Hibbert at the same money or Jordan for the max.  If Asik can get 15m, I suspect it takes more than that to get Robin Lopez to leave Portland.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I think he's a better one on one defender, but Jordan is the better rim protector, help defender, rebounder, and pick and roll defender. Plus, Jordan is better offensively with his ability to catch lobs, run the floor, and finish around the rim.

Jordan is the better shot blocker.  Asik is the better pick and roll defender.  I think Asik's better at rotations and help defense.  He has better defensive instincts and is more consistent.  I consider them even on rebounding.

Asik is better at passing and free throw shooting.  They're both fifth option type guys, so Jordan's shooting percentage doesn't impress me that much.  He's basically able to catch the ball better than Asik.

And Asik will almost certainly come cheaper.  Plus, I think he is a better fit for the mentality that Stevens is trying to build.

Agree about this: "I think he is a better fit for the mentality that Stevens is trying to build."

My concerne is money. He is getting 15m this year. I would not pay him that much.

I'm not sure it would take that much, but I prefer Asik at 15m vs Hibbert at the same money or Jordan for the max.  If Asik can get 15m, I suspect it takes more than that to get Robin Lopez to leave Portland.

Asik is only getting $15 m because Daryl Morey made a weird contract that was like $7 m / $7 m / $15 m to mess with other teams somehow - I forget exactly.  It made it so other teams couldn't match.  He probably won't get $15 m in his next deal

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
 A big who can defend and rim protect and a shooter at the wing is what I want.

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Asik is only getting $15 m because Daryl Morey made a weird contract that was like $7 m / $7 m / $15 m to mess with other teams somehow - I forget exactly.  It made it so other teams couldn't match.  He probably won't get $15 m in his next deal

Bulls could't touch that price tag.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2015, 11:08:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It was a poison pill that was along the lines of 5/5/15 meant to make the Bulls reluctant to match due to luxury tax.  He's a bargain at that price and I wouldn't hesitate to toss 12-13m/year at him.  If some teams feel the same way I do, there's going to be someone willing to give an even larger contract to a guy I see as having DPOY potential.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

It was a poison pill that was along the lines of 5/5/15 meant to make the Bulls reluctant to match due to luxury tax.  He's a bargain at that price and I wouldn't hesitate to toss 12-13m/year at him.  If some teams feel the same way I do, there's going to be someone willing to give an even larger contract to a guy I see as having DPOY potential.

Isn't he almost pushing 30, though? I mean, if we can't lure in DJ I'd gladly take an older Asik, but should he be our first target at that age? I believe he's 29 right now vs. DJ's 26 or so.

EDIT: DJ turns 27 in July and Asik turns 29 in July, so not 3 years but 2.

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 01:18:56 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Monta Ellis opting out; should Boston go after him too?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 02:17:15 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Suspect Love might opt in, just to be eligible for an even bigger max when, the cap jumps in 2016 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 02:44:11 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Meh, I don't like any of those guys for this team, except maybe Leonard.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 04:37:53 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Realistically we won't get any of these guys

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 05:15:14 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Exactly what I'm thinking;

- Jordan is surrounded by all stars to challenge for chips and gets to live in LA for a billionaire owner
- Gasol has a championship team already whole will pay to keep him
- Butler will be matched as he is the bulls future and they will let others walk to accommodate him like they did with Deng
- Leonard is the same as Butler, he is the future of the franchise
-Monroe is a power forward with no shot blocking skills so unless we rid ourselves of Sully and Olynyk I don't see it happening

The only possibility is maybe a sign and trade for Love in exchange for Sully and picks or Asik but we'll prob have to over pay

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 06:53:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I'm not sold that Asik, Hibbert, or Lopez are enough of an upgrade over Zeller to warrant the money. I'm not saying Tyler is the long term answer at center but he is only 25 and still improving. I would rather see cap space spent on players who will be real building blocks not marginal upgrades. Leonard, Butler, Harris or Green would all be clear upgrades at SF. Love or Monroe are clear upgrades (do to injury concerns at PF).
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Exactly what I'm thinking;

- Jordan is surrounded by all stars to challenge for chips and gets to live in LA for a billionaire owner
- Gasol has a championship team already whole will pay to keep him
- Butler will be matched as he is the bulls future and they will let others walk to accommodate him like they did with Deng
- Leonard is the same as Butler, he is the future of the franchise
-Monroe is a power forward with no shot blocking skills so unless we rid ourselves of Sully and Olynyk I don't see it happening

The only possibility is maybe a sign and trade for Love in exchange for Sully and picks or Asik but we'll prob have to over pay

I agree that most of these situations are long shots. The exception maybe Monroe. If he can be sold on being a building block for the celtics he might be persuaded to join. I agree that this will require DA to move either Sully or KO. I suspect Sully would be the guy out and hopefully in doing so the Cs could upgrade at the SF. I could see a Zeller, Monroe, KO 3 big rotation working pretty well. They will not to great on D but will have great size. That much size in a rotation coupled with strong perimeter defenders could make for an at least average defensive unit.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:35 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'm not sold that Asik, Hibbert, or Lopez are enough of an upgrade over Zeller to warrant the money. I'm not saying Tyler is the long term answer at center but he is only 25 and still improving. I would rather see cap space spent on players who will be real building blocks not marginal upgrades. Leonard, Butler, Harris or Green would all be clear upgrades at SF. Love or Monroe are clear upgrades (do to injury concerns at PF).

They will be an upgrade defensively, and that would be an upgrade worth paying.

We're missing a legitimate rim protector. A player who can protect the paint, be big and grab boards. Tyler Zeller is a solid Center but he's not a rim protector. Those players are a premium, which is why they get paid a lot of money.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I feel like the only thing that can prevent us signing KLove is a Cleveland championship.
I could see him signing in LA instead of Boston.

Especially since Rondo signing there is a real possibility now. Don't think they'd be very good without some sort of defensive presence down low, though. I'd really like to nab a Butler or Leonard. Those would be my top choices, unless we get Johnson in the draft then it would be Deandre Jordan.
This is what I thought as well but after reading the article it seems like the Lakers won't have enough cap space to sign both Rondo and Love.

If Rondo does sign with the Lakers, I will burn that Rondo jersey in a heartbeat!!! But my wish list for next year

Kevin Love at PF
DeAndre Jordan at Center

trade Sully and others for whatever upgrade you want (A small forward)