Author Topic: C's free agent targets in the off season  (Read 22924 times)

Re: C's free agent targets in the off season
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If we trade a guard in a package for a center (like Smart + our 2015 1st + future pick for Nerlens Noel for example), I'd be open to signing Rondo this offseason.  He'll be looking for a new team now that he's been exposed in Dallas.  He should be a cheap option on the free agent market unless someone crazy wants to give him big bucks.

Above example is just a random one.   If we sign an impact big like Monroe and then package Bradley/Smart/picks/Wallace for a center (the Cousins pipe-dream), we might have cap space to bring in ol Rajon.

You're losing it, man. I value Smart more than Noel and you want to give multiple picks, including this year's 1st, too? Then, you went all Rondo on your post.

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I'm torn on Jordan. He obviously is an elite rebounder and rim protector but to pay big money to a guy who averages 11ppg in 34 min and is a huge FT liability worries me.

How about these numbers as a counter argument:

He has 14.4 rebounds a game (1st in the NBA), which is 1.5 rbg more than the #2 on the list (Andre Drummond).  He's averaging 20.2 rebounds over the last 9 games.

His FG% is .717 (1st in the NBA), with the #2 on the list being Tyson Chandler at .677 and the #5 on the list is Valancuiunas at .559.  That is CRAZY.  Wilt Chamberlin has the all time record and it's .72 and the second best ever is Wilt's .68.  So basically, DeAndre could have the second best fg% of all time this season and has a very realistic shot at the record.

He's averaging 2.28 blocks a game (4th in the NBA)

Since Blake has gone down, he's looked like a beast.  I would give him $20 m / year and feel good about it.

Agreed. I wouldn't hesitate. The one thing that's rarely mentioned is how awesome he is in defending the pick and roll. That's such an important, yet underrated, aspect for a big nowadays.

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Dumb question: How many of the top free agents are only going to be willing to sign short-term contracts to wait for the new cap amount and an even bigger pay day?  I know that the teams want the long-term contracts, but if the top free agents demand a one-year contract, all they need is one taker.  Granted, that team would then have Bird rights, but some players might be looking at the next cap amount as such big money that the Bird rights money won't matter as much to them.

I'd love to get a great player on a max contract, but I don't know how many franchise guys are going to be willing to sign one.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not to mention if the Clips did match a 20 mil offer for DeAndre it would put them at 74 million for 6 guys. Good luck filling out that roster Doc

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think it's extremely important to sign a max player this off-season. With the new cap set to explode and drive contracts up exponentially it would allow us to sign a guy to a contract that could be considered a bargain once other players are maxed out at larger deals. Having a max guy also brings solidity to the team and combined with our current players (Smart, Bradley, Thomas, Sullinger, Olynyk, etc.), our picks (both in 2015 and 2016), our coach, our GM, our ownership that's willing to spend, and our tradition would make us a pretty attractive destination for the summer of 16 free agent frenzy.

Boom.

And for that reason I agree with others that have tabbed Deandre Jordan as #1 on our wish list. I don't think Doc can keep him. He's due for a substantial raise and the Clippers have too many other holes to address. Jordans strengths have already been detailed but even at 14-15M, after the cap goes up, this move takes up less space and it's just the kind of splashy free agent pickup that will put teams on notice that we are back on the rise again. He can protect KO and/or Sully at the 4. Add him to our uptempo attack and we have a playoff team just waiting to add the franchise cornerstone player we need to take us to the next level.

DeAndre is going to get $20 mil.*  The Clippers can theoretically afford that if they renounce some players, but they'll have $60 mil on 3 guys.  They'd have to have all minimum salary vets and people on rookie contracts.  It might work if they win the championship this year and the vets think they can get some glory signing with them, but if they get knocked out in the second round....

/*I think a team can offer him that, but there is probably a rule I'm forgetting regarding max salary offers

It will likely be $19M in season one for a max deal, with raises each year just shy of $1 million, so you'll see that 4 years, $80 million number thrown around in reporting.  I think even without the impending cap spike, Jordan is probably worth it.  With the spike, it's a no-brainer to me.

Also, it should be noted that because the Clippers have his Bird rights, the cap is not an obstacle to re-signing him -- only the budget set by the owner, and to a lesser extent the hard cap if they want to make use of the large MLE.  I think they would be wise to re-sign him, as this time without Blake has shown how important he can be to the team.  But he is expensive, and signing him will preclude the opportunity to participate in the summer of 2016, which might be something that is also worth doing.

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Not to mention if the Clips did match a 20 mil offer for DeAndre it would put them at 74 million for 6 guys. Good luck filling out that roster Doc

We should offer it if for no other reason than to mess with them.

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Dumb question: How many of the top free agents are only going to be willing to sign short-term contracts to wait for the new cap amount and an even bigger pay day?  I know that the teams want the long-term contracts, but if the top free agents demand a one-year contract, all they need is one taker.  Granted, that team would then have Bird rights, but some players might be looking at the next cap amount as such big money that the Bird rights money won't matter as much to them.

I'd love to get a great player on a max contract, but I don't know how many franchise guys are going to be willing to sign one.

Mike

It depends on the player (and his agent).  Some players will get offered the max this year because they will be worth that rate with the cap spike, and essentially a team will be paying more upfront for a future discount.  There also aren't that many huge free agents this year - a lot of players are looking towards next year.  It will make sense for some players to take the money now than waiting for the summer of LeBron and Durant (and Howard and Lillard and Drummond and Beal and maybe Love), and hoping the money is still there for the team you want to go to after the big names have already been decided.  You might see one or two players do that (Aldridge and Love make the most sense), but I'd bet most will be happy with a longer deal, especially since the new CBA the following year could raise the cap even further.

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

If it comes to GM competition between Doc and Danny, Ainge is going to run circles around Doc and totally embarrass him.

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Mike

Chandler Parsons' and LeBron James' contracts showed that the way this is likely to go is for teams to give out shorter contracts with player options.  If they play well and are healthy, they can decline their option and score a big contract.  If they falter or are injured, they can take the option and cash in on a final year that is more than they will get in free agency.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 06:23:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
If we trade a guard in a package for a center (like Smart + our 2015 1st + future pick for Nerlens Noel for example), I'd be open to signing Rondo this offseason.  He'll be looking for a new team now that he's been exposed in Dallas.  He should be a cheap option on the free agent market unless someone crazy wants to give him big bucks.

Above example is just a random one.   If we sign an impact big like Monroe and then package Bradley/Smart/picks/Wallace for a center (the Cousins pipe-dream), we might have cap space to bring in ol Rajon.

You're losing it, man. I value Smart more than Noel and you want to give multiple picks, including this year's 1st, too? Then, you went all Rondo on your post.

Same here. I think this really undervalues Smart, who, in my opinion, has proven much more this year than Noel has. Even if we would get a type like DMC through trading him along with others, I would still not feel good about it (which doesn't mean I wouldn't do the deal regardless). He has so much potential, and I just love the way he plays the game.

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Offer every decent restricted free agent a one-year deal for the most money possible. Players may like this because it maximaizes their salaries through the astronomical rise in 2016. It gives them leverage over a team that just offers the QO (think Greg Monroe situation from last year), and if they sign, all the better! It also makes them UFAs for the NEXT year and really hamstrings teams' organizational plans. Then, it's time for the cheap teams to put up or shut up (think the Bulls), as their QO has no leverage and they can't match a reasonable mult-year contract from another team. If they DO match, they're paying the player almost twice the QO for the same amount of years (1). This gives us a decent team, makes Brooklyn's pick one spot worse, and keeps our team's options open.

Note: I don't know how much I really agree with this, but I do it all the time in MyGM on NBA2k  :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:32:38 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 06:47:09 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
DA should go all out for DeAndre Jordan. He is the guy that would change the picture in Boston. Unfortunately he will draw a lot of interest from LA and NY.

I'd like Monroe too, but we need a center that's defensive minded in the worst way, and he aint it.

Draft a small forward that can score.

Pass on Love.

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 06:52:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Asik is a better defender than Jordan.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If we dont draft a Center, that should be the priority.

DeAndre Jordan
Omer Asik
Robin Lopez

We need someone who can protect the paint, battle inside and grab the rebounds and just be big.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Love and Gasol of course would be my top options, but I don't see either leaving their teams .Then  Leonard or Butler , but their teams will match , so sign Jordan, draft WCS (Provides insurance if Zellar signs elsewhere after next season )

PG: Smart    / Thomas
SG: AB         / Young
SF: Turner   /Crowder  / Clips pick
PF: Sully      / KO         / WCS
 C: Jordan    / Zellar   / WCS

* We need to upgrade the SF or SG position and get a legit go to scorer in 2016 free agency or through trades , but this is a very good defensive team who would just need to add some scoring and shooting in the starting lineup .