Author Topic: C's free agent targets in the off season  (Read 22875 times)

Re: C's free agent targets in the off season
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2015, 07:10:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Asik is a better defender than Jordan.

I think he's a better one on one defender, but Jordan is the better rim protector, help defender, rebounder, and pick and roll defender. Plus, Jordan is better offensively with his ability to catch lobs, run the floor, and finish around the rim.

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If we trade a guard in a package for a center (like Smart + our 2015 1st + future pick for Nerlens Noel for example), I'd be open to signing Rondo this offseason.  He'll be looking for a new team now that he's been exposed in Dallas.  He should be a cheap option on the free agent market unless someone crazy wants to give him big bucks.

Above example is just a random one.   If we sign an impact big like Monroe and then package Bradley/Smart/picks/Wallace for a center (the Cousins pipe-dream), we might have cap space to bring in ol Rajon.

this first part is the most ridiculously one sided trade that it makes me question if you are trolling. The celtics trading a lottery pick, plus smart, plus a future pick for a guy that looks like a solid defensive player with limited offensive game? What? Why?

You're losing it, man. I value Smart more than Noel and you want to give multiple picks, including this year's 1st, too? Then, you went all Rondo on your post.

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
All these guys are somewhat unattainable to me.
All the restricted free agents aren't going anywhere.
I think we just take the best players available in the draft.
As far as scorers go I'd like either Russell (probably goes too high) or Caris Levert as a Joe Johnson hybrid 2/3 scorer with ball skills, shooting and length with potential on D.

I see a lot of posts saying we need Stanley Johnson...but I'm not sure we come close to having a chance at him given our current lottery position projections...rven with our picks as ammo to move up.

General question about Deandre Jordan. ..
I'm struggling to see him fitting into our system on offense unless we think Sully is the future of PF on this team. He can run pick and roll but he hurts spacing significantly in a motion-esque offense.

Thoughts?

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
As far as scorers go I'd like either Russell (probably goes too high) or Caris Levert as a Joe Johnson hybrid 2/3 scorer with ball skills, shooting and length with potential on D.

I see a lot of posts saying we need Stanley Johnson...but I'm not sure we come close to having a chance at him given our current lottery position projections...rven with our picks as ammo to move up.

I'm struggling to see him fitting into our system on offense unless we think Sully is the future of PF on this team. He can run pick and roll but he hurts spacing significantly in a motion-esque offense.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that if we can get DeAndre Jordan and he doesn't fit in with our current "offense," then we worry about changing the offense instead of not bringing on a superstar. 

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If we dont draft a Center, that should be the priority.

DeAndre Jordan
Omer Asik
Robin Lopez

We need someone who can protect the paint, battle inside and grab the rebounds and just be big.

What about Hibbert? He will likely be a FA and possibly an easier target for us than guys like Jordan, Gasol, and Love.

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

DeAndre Jordan
Omer Asik
Robin Lopez

We need someone who can protect the paint, battle inside and grab the rebounds and just be big.

What about Hibbert? He will likely be a FA and possibly an easier target for us than guys like Jordan, Gasol, and Love.

If I was him I wouldn't opt out this year and get paid ithe next summer when the cap goes up.

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Thought that I'd share this with you guys ;D
The Celtics have a ton of cash and are geared up to use it. Target number one is Kevin Love. Target number two is Greg Monroe. Sources close to the process say the Celtics’ plan to swing for the proverbial fences this summer including runs at Gasol, Leonard and Butler too. - Basketball Insiders
Don't really know how reliable of a source "Basketball Insiders" is, but I'm really excited for the free agency period to come around.
This team would be a whole lot different if we'd be able to get two of the abovementioned guys ::)

I would consider Basketball insiders a good source I read alot of their material and they seem to have good tabs on things.

This off season should be interesting. The Cs are presumably set in the backcourt and have a lot of question marks in the front court. 

I can see DA going after Love or Monroe and remolding the front court around them. Either acquisition likely marks the end of Sully in green. This would be bitter sweat for me as I think Sully can be a better overall player because his instincts on D are superior to either of them.  Sadly his conditioning/injuries may never allow this to happen. 

The FA SFs are a very nice group but I just cant see Leonard, Butler or Green leaving their current teams.

You may like basketball insiders, but their latest mock draft is pretty laughable.  Levert before Oubre?  Kaminsky at 7?  Hezonja at 11.  Jake Layman before Montrezl Harrell?  I think I'm going to start a thread when I get home tonight to compare a few March 1st mocks and see how they did down the line.  That one was a doozy.

I hope you're also planning to save them and then see how the same "March 1 mock" looks after the draft. They've been known to change over time...

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think he's a better one on one defender, but Jordan is the better rim protector, help defender, rebounder, and pick and roll defender. Plus, Jordan is better offensively with his ability to catch lobs, run the floor, and finish around the rim.

Jordan is the better shot blocker.  Asik is the better pick and roll defender.  I think Asik's better at rotations and help defense.  He has better defensive instincts and is more consistent.  I consider them even on rebounding.

Asik is better at passing and free throw shooting.  They're both fifth option type guys, so Jordan's shooting percentage doesn't impress me that much.  He's basically able to catch the ball better than Asik.

And Asik will almost certainly come cheaper.  Plus, I think he is a better fit for the mentality that Stevens is trying to build.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Jordan is the better shot blocker.  Asik is the better pick and roll defender.  I think Asik's better at rotations and help defense.  He has better defensive instincts and is more consistent.  I consider them even on rebounding.

Asik is better at passing and free throw shooting.  They're both fifth option type guys, so Jordan's shooting percentage doesn't impress me that much.  He's basically able to catch the ball better than Asik.

And Asik will almost certainly come cheaper.  Plus, I think he is a better fit for the mentality that Stevens is trying to build.

Agree about this: "I think he is a better fit for the mentality that Stevens is trying to build."

My concerne is money. He is getting 15m this year. I would not pay him that much.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:46 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that if we can get DeAndre Jordan and he doesn't fit in with our current "offense," then we worry about changing the offense instead of not bringing on a superstar.
agreed. and i am sure that CBS can figure out someway to make it work with jordan as center.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 10:09:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I would be shocked if Danny's #1 choice isn't DeAndre Jordan.  What I love about Danny though is that if he could only get the "Ray Allen" part of a trade done, he would absolutely pull the trigger.  He will have some bizarre mismatched team in the short term if it gets the pillars of a future team in place.  I bet he goes after Love too and at least kicks the tires of the other guys.  We have a lot to offer another team pick-wise. 

I'm thought so too, before the recent deals.  It really seems like Danny favors bigs that can shoot over the pure 'rim protector' that we here on the cb so often clamor for. 

Celts seem committed to the pace/space system where you'd rather a big that can rotate on defense than relying on a shotblocker who is a liability offensively.  For that reason alone I doubt we see Ainge make Deandre an offer.
[/quote]

This

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
My preference would be to go after Monroe, then trade for a mobile shot blocking 4 like john Henson, taj Gibson or, dare I dream, iibaka.
I don't think sully has a future as a starting PF on a contender and I think oly does have a future as a 6 th man/first big of the bench so use sully and picks to get the right piece to pair with Monroe as the front court of the future.

I wouldn't cry and throw things if d Jordan ended up on the c's but his offensive limitations and rondoesque ft shooting make paying him the max a tough pill to swallow.

Edit: what are the chances sully plus our first could pry Gobert out of Utah?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:24:51 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

DeAndre Jordan
Omer Asik
Robin Lopez

If I was him I wouldn't opt out this year and get paid ithe next summer when the cap goes up.

I agree with this.

I dind't include Hibbert because I believe he would not opt out of that contract. He hasn't played well enough to be paid more than what he is earning right now, so I think he'll accept that player option.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Just a small caveat to my earlier post, my number one target is Noel from Philly via trade.  If they can land him, then my free agent target list changes.

Been having the same fantasy.

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
My preference would be to go after Monroe, then trade for a mobile shot blocking 4 like john Henson, taj Gibson or, dare I dream, iibaka.
I don't think sully has a future as a starting PF on a contender and I think oly does have a future as a 6 th man/first big of the bench so use sully and picks to get the right piece to pair with Monroe as the front court of the future.

I wouldn't cry and throw things if d Jordan ended up on the c's but his offensive limitations and rondoesque ft shooting make paying him the max a tough pill to swallow.

Edit: what are the chances sully plus our first could pry Gobert out of Utah?
I'm on board with this plan. Monroe and a defensive big would put us in a great position
I trust Danny Ainge