Author Topic: C's free agent targets in the off season  (Read 22927 times)

Re: C's free agent targets in the off season
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think Love should be target number one!  My number one target is Deandre Jordan and then number two is Greg Monroe. I get the needed SF scorer in the draft.

There are two scoring SFs in the draft - Stanley Johnson and Mario Hezonja - and we're not getting either of them.  The lottery only gives you a shot at picks 1-3, so since we're going to be (most likely) the 9th or 10th worst team, we won't be in position to draft 5th or 6th where they're going.  Plus, you should never draft for need.  Ever.
I think Oubre is going to be a scorer in the NBA.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I don't think Love should be target number one!  My number one target is Deandre Jordan and then number two is Greg Monroe. I get the needed SF scorer in the draft.

There are two scoring SFs in the draft - Stanley Johnson and Mario Hezonja - and we're not getting either of them.  The lottery only gives you a shot at picks 1-3, so since we're going to be (most likely) the 9th or 10th worst team, we won't be in position to draft 5th or 6th where they're going.  Plus, you should never draft for need.  Ever.

Man, Johnson and Hezonja have been all over the draft board in mock drafts. I guess it depends on who is picking a little ahead of us, because teams like the Jazz, Kings, and Orlando don't necessarily need wing players if they realistically plan on Gay, Gordon, and Harris being long-term wing options.

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 02:42:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
DeAndre Jordan should be #1.  He's the best rebounder in the NBA, one of the best if not the best interior defenders, the best finisher at the rim, and great at setting picks/screens on offense.  He can't shoot free throws, and I don't care.  He does so much elite stuff on the court, and the kind of elite stuff that matches with many of the Celtics key needs, that he's absolutely worth the max on this team.  That the Clippers haven't fallen off despite the loss of Blake Griffin is largely due to Jordan's play.  He's absolutely capable of being the best player on a very good team.

Also, it isn't done much around here, but credit goes to Doc for letting Jordan play despite his free throw issues.  Sometimes you just have to recognize when a player's many strengths outweigh a single weakness, and Jordan is so good at what he does well that his free throws just don't matter.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Thought that I'd share this with you guys ;D
The Celtics have a ton of cash and are geared up to use it. Target number one is Kevin Love. Target number two is Greg Monroe. Sources close to the process say the Celtics’ plan to swing for the proverbial fences this summer including runs at Gasol, Leonard and Butler too. - Basketball Insiders
Don't really know how reliable of a source "Basketball Insiders" is, but I'm really excited for the free agency period to come around.
This team would be a whole lot different if we'd be able to get two of the abovementioned guys ::)

I would consider Basketball insiders a good source I read alot of their material and they seem to have good tabs on things.

This off season should be interesting. The Cs are presumably set in the backcourt and have a lot of question marks in the front court. 

I can see DA going after Love or Monroe and remolding the front court around them. Either acquisition likely marks the end of Sully in green. This would be bitter sweet for me as I think Sully can be a better overall player because his instincts on D are superior to either of them.  Sadly his conditioning/injuries may never allow this to happen. Like others have said I think Love goes to LAL if he leaves the Cavs. Monroe on the other hand could be had. He seems happier in detriot but I would think the Cs would be some what intriguing to him.   

The FA SFs are a very nice group but I just cant see Leonard, Butler or Green leaving their current teams.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:59:57 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

After Jeff Green, when I see games like this: http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400585851 .......
wow. oubre really is channeling jeff green isn't he!  but then again, check out the minutes played. they fluctuate wildly, and his big scoring games match fairly well with his big minutes games.

so, it may also be a function of his coach.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The Celtics have a ton of cash and are geared up to use it. Target number one is Kevin Love. Target number two is Greg Monroe. Sources close to the process say the Celtics’ plan to swing for the proverbial fences this summer including runs at Gasol, Leonard and Butler too. - Basketball Insiders
Don't really know how reliable of a source "Basketball Insiders" is, but I'm really excited for the free agency period to come around.
This team would be a whole lot different if we'd be able to get two of the abovementioned guys ::)

I would consider Basketball insiders a good source I read alot of their material and they seem to have good tabs on things.

This off season should be interesting. The Cs are presumably set in the backcourt and have a lot of question marks in the front court. 

I can see DA going after Love or Monroe and remolding the front court around them. Either acquisition likely marks the end of Sully in green. This would be bitter sweat for me as I think Sully can be a better overall player because his instincts on D are superior to either of them.  Sadly his conditioning/injuries may never allow this to happen. 

The FA SFs are a very nice group but I just cant see Leonard, Butler or Green leaving their current teams.

If Green doesn't leave his team you think Barnes is expendable in GS??  I am a Barnes guy, I think on this C's team he could be a guy that scores close to 20 a night and fill that SF role for the next 5 years....

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

After Jeff Green, when I see games like this: http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400585851 .......

People had the same criticisms of Wiggins last year.  Oubre isn't as good as Wiggins, but when will people understand that Kansas' point guard play has been mediocre the last two years, which will affect the scoring numbers of the freshman wing players?  I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Oubre was the best small forward in this draft.  Granted, last year was deeper at that position, but cherry-picking random games where the ball-dominant point guards don't get the wings the ball in scoring situations isn't really great analysis.

Also, Jeff Green is a good player.  If we got a Jeff Green at the 9-15 pick range, that's a successful pick.  I'm sorry he wasn't Paul Pierce.  He's still good in his own right.

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think it's extremely important to sign a max player this off-season. With the new cap set to explode and drive contracts up exponentially it would allow us to sign a guy to a contract that could be considered a bargain once other players are maxed out at larger deals. Having a max guy also brings solidity to the team and combined with our current players (Smart, Bradley, Thomas, Sullinger, Olynyk, etc.), our picks (both in 2015 and 2016), our coach, our GM, our ownership that's willing to spend, and our tradition would make us a pretty attractive destination for the summer of 16 free agent frenzy.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I can see DA going after Love or Monroe and remolding the front court around them. Either acquisition likely marks the end of Sully in green. This would be bitter sweat for me as I think Sully can be a better overall player because his instincts on D are superior to either of them.  Sadly his conditioning/injuries may never allow this to happen. 

You may like basketball insiders, but their latest mock draft is pretty laughable.  Levert before Oubre?  Kaminsky at 7?  Hezonja at 11.  Jake Layman before Montrezl Harrell?  I think I'm going to start a thread when I get home tonight to compare a few March 1st mocks and see how they did down the line.  That one was a doozy.

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Not interested in Kevin Love.  We need interior defense, so I'd go for Jordan instead.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 03:12:49 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
You all understand that atricle is specualtion, right? Despite "sources" we all know DA doesnt let the cat out of the bag..

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
You all understand that atricle is specualtion, right? Despite "sources" we all know DA doesnt let the cat out of the bag..

You mean like he wasn't interested in acquiring Love this summer or trying to trade for Paul in the past?

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

If Green doesn't leave his team you think Barnes is expendable in GS??  I am a Barnes guy, I think on this C's team he could be a guy that scores close to 20 a night and fill that SF role for the next 5 years....

Same here. They'll probably have to pick one or the other to pay with all of their other salary. I'd love to grab Harnes. From what I've read they'll probably have to send Lee packing this summer to pay Green what he'll get. Perhaps we could get Barnes for taking Lee off of their hands.

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

You may like basketball insiders, but their latest mock draft is pretty laughable.  Levert before Oubre?  Kaminsky at 7?  Hezonja at 11.  Jake Layman before Montrezl Harrell?  I think I'm going to start a thread when I get home tonight to compare a few March 1st mocks and see how they did down the line.  That one was a doozy.

They may have some outrageous mock predictions but its early and that it totally speculation by one writer. I dont think their mock is a reflection on their insider credibility. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet