Author Topic: C's getting national attention......Shhhhhh  (Read 2302 times)

C's getting national attention......Shhhhhh
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Re: C's getting national attention......Shhhhhh
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Maybe we'll get our nationally televised game back.

All kidding aside, nice upbeat article. Good to see the Cs aren't considered a total joke.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
That Sean Grande tweet within the article got me thinking:

Isaiah Thomas has scored his first 100 points a a Celtic...

...it took him 116 minutes.

Is Isaiah Thomas the quickest Celtic ever to 100 points?  Sure looks like it to me.

It took Pierce 6 games and over 165 minutes.
It took Bird 6 games (and maybe over 180 minutes if we assume his season avg of 36 min per game over the first 5 games).
It took Antoine 8 games and over 220 minutes.
It took Dana Barros 8 games and over 234 minutes
It took Dominque Wilkins 6 games and over 171 minutes.
It took Ray Allen 5 games and over 154 minutes
It took KG 5 games and over 155 minutes

And off the top of my head, I can't think of any other guys that would have come to the C's and been a primary scorer right away.

*For minutes played, I used total minutes as of the game before, since I don't know at what point in the game the player scored their 100th.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
In regards to the "There are totally random guys on the team who are hilarious" section - I think that Danny and Stevens alike have one thing in common: they both love underrated players and seem to know which ones will go off.  With Stevens' legendary Butler runs and Danny's fixations with unlikely players, I think it energizes both of them to have guys like that around. It's the feeling of being an underdog, I guess.

I mean Jerebko came in and Stevens was using him as perfectly as anybody could have theoretically used him.  I bet he stayed up for like 3 nights straight strategizing about how to use the Swede.  How many coaches do you think would get Jerebko in a trade like that to free up cap space and would spend even two seconds thinking about it?  Even when we have some blue chip talents, I hope we're always rotating in guys like this because it really brings out the best in Stevens in particular.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Dave Cowens started off with a bang.  Scored 100 points even in his first 5 games.  Can't figure out the minutes, but he did average 38 minutes a game that year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That Sean Grande tweet within the article got me thinking:

Isaiah Thomas has scored his first 100 points a a Celtic...

...it took him 116 minutes.

Is Isaiah Thomas the quickest Celtic ever to 100 points?  Sure looks like it to me.

It took Pierce 6 games and over 165 minutes.
It took Bird 6 games (and maybe over 180 minutes if we assume his season avg of 36 min per game over the first 5 games).
It took Antoine 8 games and over 220 minutes.
It took Dana Barros 8 games and over 234 minutes
It took Dominque Wilkins 6 games and over 171 minutes.
It took Ray Allen 5 games and over 154 minutes
It took KG 5 games and over 155 minutes

And off the top of my head, I can't think of any other guys that would have come to the C's and been a primary scorer right away.

*For minutes played, I used total minutes as of the game before, since I don't know at what point in the game the player scored their 100th.

Interesting idea.  I looked at a couple other possibilities:

Dave Cowens only took 5 games, but he averaged 38 mpg (no individual game minutes available), so probably not.

Nate Archibald took 7 games at an average of 24 mpg, so probably not him either (though that does work out  to more points per minute than Cowens).

Ed Macauley averaged 20.4 ppg his first year as a Celtic, but they don't even have individual game logs or total minutes played, and he averaged about 40 minutes per in subsequent seasons, so probably not him either. 

...we'll never know for sure, but it looks like IT is the one.  Neat little trivia answer there.

EDIT: Thought Bob McAdoo was promising, but it took him until early in his 6th game (he had 97 in the first 5), and he averaged 32 minutes as a Celtic.  Unless they worked him in slowly he's out too.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:15:05 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Lol, it's nice to see a article in the national media with some positivity for once, but I can't help but think how little that person knows about the NBA and basketball while reading it.

He thought we brought in Isaiah for "playmaking ability for the young guys" and he is surprised that he has scored this many points? Alriiiiighttty. Dude averaged 20 PPG last season and 16 PPG off the bench in Phoenix with a guard heavy rotation. Shouldn't surprise anyone who follows the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It's great to see that the Celtics are getting some attention. It will bring in more confidence to the players and it will do nothing bud good things moving forward.

Although, I hope this doesnt get to their heads. I hope they stay hungry and keep playing hard, and have a mindset that national media attention isn't enough, and while it's good, they have to do more.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace