Author Topic: Is it legal for fans to reward a player with prizes?  (Read 1917 times)

Is it legal for fans to reward a player with prizes?
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Didn't know where to post this.

Could fans do a Kickstarter to buy a truck for a player if he meets a certain goal? Would that violate a collective bargaining agreement? Naturally, for athletes who are millionaires, there is little a pool of fans could muster up that'd provide extra incentive. But if it's a guy like Malcolm Butler, obviously getting a truck was a materially significant upgrade in his life. Could serve as a symbolic incentive in other cases, so like Sullinger can buy himself anything but a point could be made with a fan fundraiser to buy him a state of the art fridge if he can hit 35% of his threes, etc. Is that kosher per the CBA?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Re: Is it legal for fans to reward a player with prizes?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If it's purely fan-led, with no coordination between the team or the player (i.e., he accepts gifts in lieu of additional salary), then I think it would be legal.  The NBA would definitely investigate, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would phrase it as "If the [Team X] makes the playoffs, then we'll hire [Player Y] to do a commercial for a local charity [or something] about fighting through the odds."  It would be harder for the league to fight it if they have to stop a bunch of fans supporting a charity, I think that's why the Butler thing worked.  I remember Brady saying "we'll figure out a way to get that truck to him," implying that there was a hurdle of some kind.  Everyone loved that story, so it happened.   

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Probably a legal grey area with the concerns of fixing.
Banner 18 please 😍