Author Topic: Playoff Stock Watch  (Read 15714 times)

Re: Playoff Stock Watch
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 07:40:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't even know who to root for in Heat versus Bucks. The Heat seem to be making a really ill fated push to try and get the 8th seed considering it is costing them a top 10 draft pick. With Bosh and Mcroberts out for the season and Wade battling injuries it would make a lot of sense to regroup in the offseason, resign Dragic, trade the 9th or 10th pick for a veteran big and try to make one last run with Bosh, Wade, Deng, Whiteside, Dragic, McRoberts and a few other vets. Unfortunately for the Heat, I think Riley's ego is driving them to a short sighted decision here.

On the other hand, if the Bucks free fall and add a lottery pick to their core of Greek, MCW, Parker and Middleton they could be really exciting next year.

I'm rooting for the Heat.  I don't see us getting the 6th seed, and I think we match up better with the Hawks than the Cavs.  So anything that moves us closer to 7th is sub-optimal in my book.

I am confused. Wouldn't the heat winning move us closer to the 7th seed? The Bucks would only be two games ahead of us with upcoming games against the hawks, warriors and bulls (plus playing us twice).

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
After we beat the Pacers they have lost 6 in a row now. But they are getying PG soon. Not good news for us. However by the time he gets there it might be too late .and we arr getting IT very soon.

Bucks have been horrendous ever since trading Knight. Not sure if its bc of losing knight or they are finally playing like everyone expected. But they dont have a spot secured by any means.

Hoping by the tail end of the years, teams like the Cavs will sit their key guys like Lebron.

Overa we got a super chance to make 8th

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
After we beat the Pacers they have lost 6 in a row now. But they are getying PG soon. Not good news for us. However by the time he gets there it might be too late .and we arr getting IT very soon.

Bucks have been horrendous ever since trading Knight. Not sure if its bc of losing knight or they are finally playing like everyone expected. But they dont have a spot secured by any means.

Hoping by the tail end of the years, teams like the Cavs will sit their key guys like Lebron.

Overa we got a super chance to make 8th

I think they still have a big road trip coming up that will pass before PG is allowed to play.

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't even know who to root for in Heat versus Bucks. The Heat seem to be making a really ill fated push to try and get the 8th seed considering it is costing them a top 10 draft pick. With Bosh and Mcroberts out for the season and Wade battling injuries it would make a lot of sense to regroup in the offseason, resign Dragic, trade the 9th or 10th pick for a veteran big and try to make one last run with Bosh, Wade, Deng, Whiteside, Dragic, McRoberts and a few other vets. Unfortunately for the Heat, I think Riley's ego is driving them to a short sighted decision here.

On the other hand, if the Bucks free fall and add a lottery pick to their core of Greek, MCW, Parker and Middleton they could be really exciting next year.

I'm rooting for the Heat.  I don't see us getting the 6th seed, and I think we match up better with the Hawks than the Cavs.  So anything that moves us closer to 7th is sub-optimal in my book.

I am confused. Wouldn't the heat winning move us closer to the 7th seed? The Bucks would only be two games ahead of us with upcoming games against the hawks, warriors and bulls (plus playing us twice).

I'm saying we're closer to Miami than Milwaukee.  If Milwaukee beats Miami, we're only 1 back of 7.  If Miami beats Milwaukee, we're 2 games back.  Thus Miami.

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

Offline viking

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

I'm saying we're closer to Miami than Milwaukee.  If Milwaukee beats Miami, we're only 1 back of 7.  If Miami beats Milwaukee, we're 2 games back.  Thus Miami.

At this stage, I think the less points between us and Miami the better.
Keep two possible openings in the playoffs, rather than having us, hornets, pacers and nets all left fighting over 1 spot

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Milwaukee wins with a crazy Middleton buzzer beater off a Bayless jump ball and Pachulia save wow
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Go Bucks right? Indiana is probably who were going neck and neck with till the end of the season
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 07:46:17 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
It is better for our play off chances if the Bucks win, but I think I'm back on the "let's get in the lottery" side of things for now.  I can't root for Indy, though.  I guess I want both teams to lose right now.   :D

Also, why is there only one game tonight if it's not nationally televised?  I don't think I've ever seen that before....

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 05:55:36 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
It was just a matter of time before Mil go back in shape.
Miami is playing very well defensively and Dragic starts to feel very comfortable and lead their offense well.
So I think those 2 teams are a lock for 6th and 7th spot.
The 8th spot will be difficult for us. We might end up behind the wagon at the 11th spot at the end, because our schedule and lack of experience when games really matter might kill us.
I'm still rooting for playoffs, but let's be realistic... the best we can do is 6 wins if we play the way we used to with IT in shape. 6 wins won't be enough I'm afraid.

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I haven't seen and kept up with everybody's schedules but who are we rooting for tonight in the Indiana vs Miami game?

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I haven't seen and kept up with everybody's schedules but who are we rooting for tonight in the Indiana vs Miami game?

Technically the Heat because they are ahead of the Pacers and have an easier schedule. The return of George is somewhat surprising with 6 games left though and makes the Pacers a more serious thread. On the other hand, the heat are a mess starting bill walker and playing serious minutes to Beasely, Ennis, Haslem and Johnson.

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Technically the Heat because they are ahead of the Pacers and have an easier schedule. The return of George is somewhat surprising with 6 games left though and makes the Pacers a more serious thread. On the other hand, the heat are a mess starting bill walker and playing serious minutes to Beasely, Ennis, Haslem and Johnson.
Hmm for a Heat win? I was thinking against so the last 2 spots could be up for grabs but see where you're getting at concede the 7th to the Heat and let the Pacers be out of reach

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
So the current standings are:

7) Brooklyn: 36-41, 0gb, 5 games left, vs Hawks, vs Wiz, @ Bucks, vs Bulls, vs Magic

8 ) Boston: 35-42, 1 gb, 5 games left, @ Pistons, @ Cavs, vs Cavs, vs Toronto, @ Bucks

9) Miami: 35-43, 1.5 gb, 4 games left, vs Bulls, vs Raptors, vs Magic, @ 76ers

10) Indiana; 34-43, 2gb, 5 games left, @ Knicks, @ Pistons, vs OKC, vs Washington, @ Memphis

Predictions:

1) I think Indiana is out of the race. They probably have to win four out of their five remaining games to get in (w/ a better record than us since we hold the tiebreaker), and OKC and Washington are still playing for something (OKC for playoff lives, Washington for home court advantage).

2)Brooklyn could very well fall. They have a tough remaining schedule against four teams with better records with them. They're 0-3 against the Hawks, 1-2 against the Wiz, 1-2 against the Bucks, 1-2  against the Bulls, and 2-0  against the Magic.

3) If we win tonight, we get into the playoffs winning three or four of our last five games. W's: @ Detroit, vs Cavs, vs. Raptors, @ Bucks. Totally objective, by the way  ;D Reasoning: Cavs will rest one or two of their guys when they play us at home, we matchup well w/ Raptors and Lowry and Johnson are still out with injuries, and Bucks will rest most of their guys on the final night of the season since there will be no need for a win against us.

I say the Heat take the 7th seed and we take the 8th either through a tiebreaker with Brooklyn or a better record. What's your prediction for the playoffs?

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2015, 05:34:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
In related news the Cavs will not rest players tonight against Milwaukee. Blatt said rest would be considered down the stretch. If they are going to rest any players in games other than the last game, I would expect it to be the next two against Boston. You would think the Cavs would wildly prefer playing the Celtics than the Pacers, Nets or Heat (Despite LeBron saying it would be neat). An order from the top could very well come in to say rest Lebron one of these next two games to keep him fresh.

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
In related news the Cavs will not rest players tonight against Milwaukee. Blatt said rest would be considered down the stretch. If they are going to rest any players in games other than the last game, I would expect it to be the next two against Boston. You would think the Cavs would wildly prefer playing the Celtics than the Pacers, Nets or Heat (Despite LeBron saying it would be neat). An order from the top could very well come in to say rest Lebron one of these next two games to keep him fresh.

Yeah, I fully expect them to rest at least one or two of their stars vs. us in at least one game.