Poll

If we finish around the 7-10 range in the lottery, would you trade our 2015 picks and the Brooklyn picks for a top 3 pick?

Yes- those Brooklyn picks may never even be lottery picks so get something substantial now
5 (10.6%)
No- those Brooklyn picks could be gold and will only increase in value (may be able to use them to trade for a star if/when a star becomes available
19 (40.4%)
No- would rather take each pick individually and trust Ainge's drafting ability - more chance of finding a star
19 (40.4%)
Yes- but It would have to be for a potential franchise player (name up to 3 players you'd do it for in this draft)
4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Would you trade this years picks+Brooklyn picks for a top 3 pick ?  (Read 5780 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Discussed this with some buddies who are fans of New York and Miami as well as a fellow celtics fan.
The question came up with our picks and what the hell are we gonna do with them all and are Celtics fans over valuing them? Their point was, there's a huge chance that we don't hit any lottery picks with those Nets picks-tthat they sign some free agents slowly or never get bad enough to gift wrap the Celtics a pick better than 14 or 15 etc...

So I said well what if New York got the 2nd pick,  but they want to get free agents there for Camelo ie Durant, Aldridge etc...so we traded something like our own #9 2015 pick+Clippers pick+Brooklyn picks For the # 2 or #3 pick

Or if a team that drafts #1 wants Russell over Muiday,  but the team drafting 2nd ie new york doesn't want their pick so Okafur is available for all our Brooklyn picks +Clippers pick (+our own)

I would consider this for Okafur, Russell and possibly Muiday....But I'd have to think very long and hard before doing so.
Is there a player or two that you'd do this for?
What's the most you'd give up From number 7 through 11 to move into the top 3?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Would you trade this years picks+Brooklyn picks for a top 3 pick ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:01:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
depends what the picks this year are.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
depends what the picks this year are.
Yeah where our pick is matters a lot. If we're 15th, its a lot different than 10th for example.

I'm not sold on any of the top 3 to send 3 quailty first round picks to move up.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:08:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Not a chance.  I think it is far more likely that all three of those picks become lottery picks than none of them.  That team might not make the playoffs even this year, and theyre not getting any better next year.  The team might be up for sale to boot -- and while regime change is what it needs in the long-term, it will hurt their short-term success even more.  It is far more likely the bottom falls out of that team than they are to rise, and treading water might not even be enough to keep them in playoff contention the next two seasons.

Now, maybe your question was poorly worded and/or I misunderstood, and you meant to trade only one of the three, in which case I could maybe get on board depending on where our pick falls.  But all three?  Not in a million years.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Yes but no one will trade with us for a top 3 pick
 we dont have enough roster spots for all our draft picks in the next couple years. We need more quality less quantity.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes, assuming we are picking #12-15 this year, which is most likely outcome.
But, more to the point, I doubt any team in the Top 3 this year would make such a trade.

EDIT -- Waew, I see we are thinking along the same lines :)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I expect both of the future Brooklyn picks to be in the lottery so I am not interested in that deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:16 AM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think I would, but only if it were for one of Okafor or Russel. If I could get Muniday I'd consider it.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No way.

The lottery is a crap shoot and the more picks you have the better the odds.

Going all in on one guy isn't smart.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Asking price is a little high imo. I'd think 10th overall, clippers and one Brooklyn pick is fair for a top 3 pick. Maybe throw in next year's Philly 2nd. Can't see spending four #1s (two in lottery) on this draft for one player even on Okafor.

If you are looking at how to spend picks I'd do C's pick, Clippers and next year Philly second to move up for Stanley or Mario to get a top SF we need.
Basically
5 or 6 for the 10, 25, and a 2016 high second.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:36:37 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
But, more to the point, I doubt any team in the Top 3 this year would make such a trade.

If I were Philly, and you offered me #10 overall, and three future unprotected firsts from a team that either was in the late lottery itself or barely made the playoffs, not to mention is aging and in cap hell for a year or two, I'd say yes and patch in the league office for the trade call before you could hange your mind.

If I were NY or LA, and hopeful that my top 3 pick could be the third or fourth wheel on my team with my current star and the max player I hope to get in free agency, then maybe I'd rather have that pick than the volume of future picks because I have a plan for the specific player I'm selecting.  Maybe.  A good part of me thinks I'd happily see what pick #10 can do instead (especially since NY and LA also owe future unprotected or lightly protected picks of their own.)

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I tend to say no. Keep the stash of picks.

Our pick and the BK picks will have lottery potential already. We may be able to draft a couple studs and have additional currency for trades of the Isaiah Thomas variety . . .

In recent years .. .outside of The Brow, Harden, John Wall, Wiggins and Blake Griffen, how many top 3 players are worth giving away that amount of draft currency?

One would have regret making that trade to draft Enes Kanter (look what he just went for), MKG, Evan Turner, Anthony Bennett, Oladipo, Derrick Favors, Derrick Williams, and even someone like Kyrie Irving. Kyrie is very good, not great, and in my opinion, not worth a stash of picks that big. That's a bad move.

Drafting top 3 is still no better than a 50/50 proposition.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

If I were Philly, and you offered me #10 overall, and three future unprotected firsts from a team that either was in the late lottery itself or barely made the playoffs, not to mention is aging and in cap hell for a year or two, I'd say yes and patch in the league office for the trade call before you could hange your mind.

Yes, but more likely: #15 pick (not #10) plus two unprotected firsts (not three) for a Top 3 pick this year. A bird in hand....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I tend to say no. Keep the stash of picks.

Our pick and the BK picks will have lottery potential already. We may be able to draft a couple studs and have additional currency for trades of the Isaiah Thomas variety . . .

In recent years .. .outside of The Brow, Harden, John Wall, Wiggins and Blake Griffen, how many top 3 players are worth giving away that amount of draft currency?

One would have regret making that trade to draft Enes Kanter (look what he just went for), MKG, Evan Turner, Anthony Bennett, Oladipo, Derrick Favors, Derrick Williams, and even someone like Kyrie Irving. Kyrie is very good, not great, and in my opinion, not worth a stash of picks that big. That's a bad move.

Drafting top 3 is still no better than a 50/50 proposition.
Exactly you have to really like a player as a franchise top 10 player to trade up for him. I don't see that in this draft. Guys going 5-10 may end up better like the 98 draft.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think there's decent parity near the top of the draft this year. Okafor has been the consensus #1 I suppose, but we're talking an Al Jefferson here not a Tim Duncan. Then there are a whole lot of prospects any of which could end up the best in the class, in no particular order:

Towns
Mudiay
Russell
Porzingis
Hezonja
Johnson

How big is the drop-off, really, from #1 to #7? I'd support moving up a few spots but I don't see anyone in this draft who's really worth selling the farm.