Author Topic: a center and a sf away from being a play off team  (Read 3611 times)

a center and a sf away from being a play off team
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think we found a good rotation at guards.. and these guys are only getting better... but behind crowder and zeller we have nothing.. we are 2 wins away from playoffs and pacers heat nets and charlotte sre much more experienced team... i will be pleased if we fight every game

Re: a center and a sf away from being a play off team
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:07:37 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One of those away from being a playoff team.  Get an above-average starter at both and at worst you're a move away from being a contender.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:21:32 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Yeah, in my dreams we manage to sign DeAndre Jordan, then move a few chips, maybe our pick, Clips pick, Sully or KO and the conditional MIN pick, to slide up and take Stanley Johnson, and bam. Near contention with assets to spare and room to grow.

Never gonna happen, but that's the kind of thing we have all these assets and flexibility for.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:48 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
One of those away from being a playoff team.  Get an above-average starter at both and at worst you're a move away from being a contender.
I agree entirely, especially in the weak East, as long as the center can defend the lane and is not someone like Monroe.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Or alternatively we use our 2016 picks to go after WCS, and the trade exception to trade for scoring wing.   
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I agree, If the Cs upgrade one starting front court position this off-season then they have a real chance at making the playoffs (though the east will be tougher next season). I personally would prefer for this to come at the SF with Turner being shipped out. I think next season Marcus will be able to take over the starting PG duty with IT backing up both guard and playing 30+ mpg. Crowder fits very nicely as a backup 3 small ball 4 and J Young will find enough left over minutes at the 2/3 to develop.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:08:45 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
If we can somehow get an elite scoring SF and a defensive center while keeping sully n KO, or just getting rid of one. I say in two years max, we're a contender for the ECF

I've been saying all year Avery n Smart back court is going to be an elite defensive back court when we need them to be, wanted Rondo gone after I watched one game live. What this team lacks is a  Small forward who scores and defends at a level where we can trust him to get us buckets going to the basket and be the main option with our starters.
Also an athletic Defensive Center.

Players that fit that bid for Center are going to be available.

DeAndre Jordan
Willie Caulie Stein.

I'd take willie over Jordan because then it allows us to just throw ridiculous money at a Small forward.

Now looking at SF.
We can Throw Max money at Khawi and hope the spur can't match, highly doubtful,
Same goes for Jimmy B or Dray Green

Don't really like Jimmy n Dray as Max guys their really role players on a good team, I'd rather go and draft either Stanley Johnson or Anderson for UVA.

Or wait till 16 and work Magic for KD.

Hardest part is replacing Pierce.

Smart
Bradley
SF
KO
CaulieStein

Isiah
Young
Crowder
Jerebko
Zeller

Pretty good young team

Smart
Bradley
Stanley Johnson
Sully
DeAndreJordan

Isiah
Young
Crowder
KO
Zeller

^^^ more of the right now win team but going to be hard to get DeAndre in Here, also could sub DeAndre for Cousins.

Best Roster for Stevens Style

Smart
Avery
Khawi Leonard
Kelly Olynyk
Demarcus Cousins

Isiah
Young
Pierce
----
Zeller

^^^^ young CONTENDER.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 07:16:01 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think we found a good rotation at guards.. and these guys are only getting better... but behind crowder and zeller we have nothing.. we are 2 wins away from playoffs and pacers heat nets and charlotte sre much more experienced team... i will be pleased if we fight every game

KO will solve a lot of those issues.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I hope we draft a good center and Young grows up .  He has the skills ,  just court time and experience is holding him back.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:54:39 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I think DA is going to throw money at a big like Monroe or Jordan and Draft a SF.  I don't think WCS makes it to them and I wouldn't waste chips to go up and get him.  I see Jordan or Monroe  ( most likely Monroe ) here next season and either Mario, Winslow or Oubree here in a SF role...

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If this season has taught us anything it's that we're probably further from being a good basketball team than we are from being a playoff squad
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IMO the C's need another aggressive, talented wing that can score, and also with the type of team they seem to be trying to build, they need an athletic, defensive minded center that can run the floor.
I don't think they want, or need an Aircraft Carrier type in the middle. (Willie C.S is very active, and has this type of potential) 

When IT is on the bench, the celtics have difficulty staying in attack mode. They get stagnant. This may also be a result of having inexperienced Smart and Young getting minutes. Hopefully they will grow in the next year or so.

If these area's are addressed I think we will make some noise with the bones of the team we have.     

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:22:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
KO will solve a lot of those issues.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bradley and Turner are whats wrong with this team. The both suffer from severely low IQ basketball and it really hurts the team in a significant way. Turner is soooooo slow with the ball and disrupts the nice run and gun ball movement system we have going. Bradley's lack of ability to do almost anything is a glaring whole in what we run as well. Bradley has difficulty passing, dribbling, and catching the ball and all of those are not only basic fundamentals needed to succeed on the basketball court, but they are all huge in our system. Both play black hole parts in our line up and it is definitely going to hold us back.

I'm ok with Zeller, Bass, and especially Smart starting for us. Could we use an upgrade at center? Absolutely... Is Zeller adequate with what we have now? I think he is.

Our bench is really great right now. The line up of Thomas, Smart, Crowder, Bass, and either Young or Jerebko can work out. Not only on our team but that could be a good second unit for a lot of playoff teams. Our starting unit is just too slow and doesn't play smart basketball and that is mainly due to Turner and Bradley deficiencies on the court.