Author Topic: Defensive pitbull Bradley no more  (Read 13854 times)

Re: Defensive pitbull Bradley no more
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Avery Bradley is terrible. Him and Turner kill our starting 5 with their slow pace and unintelligent play.

I agree. When they`re both on court, it`s killing us, but if you remove Evan Turnover from the lineup, we have good defender and nice shooter in AB next to IT. Just let Bradley shoot, keep him out of any ball play, he`ll do his role.
Curry is an MVP. Bradley was on him. He is more than a shooter he disrupts and creates Turnovers.
I think one can give him a pass when he plays againest an MVP who hit some great shots. I take AB over 25 SG in the League. He is getting beter and better.

I'm not talking about last night, I'm talking about in general and every night.

And are you talking about starting SGs? Cause if so I would love to see that list. I'd even love to see that list if you're talking about first 8 guys on any teams rotation... Because I could take about a hundred and 25 SGs I would rather play then Avery Bradley.

That's a bit ridiculous. I agree with you on Turner. He has a low basketball IQ, makes bad decisions and turnovers. Chucks up bad shots. And sure, AB probably Isn't a top 5 shooting guard. But Avery Bradley is one of the main reasons we've played so well lately. This team is better with him on it than not. He's only 23, is clearly still improving and is one of the best shooters we have. He's a plus defender and his offensive game is going from average to above average as we speak. Someone's gotta take shots. IT can't take them all, so if not AB then who? You make it sound like he's the worst player on the team when he's clearly one of the better players we have.

If your rebuilding an NBA franchise, you look to get good, young players under contract with you for an extended period. A 23 year old who shoots 40% from 3 and has an All-NBA defensive selection on his resume is the kind of player you want around. Considering the room he still has to grow, and his present contributions his 8 million a year is completely reasonable and will even look like a bargain in a few years.

I'll never understand the unjustified hate towards Bradley around here.

But he doesnt shoot 40% from three he shoots 36% and he only shoots 43% from the field. I don't see the argument of "how much he has yet to grow." Bradley is not a good offensive player. Period. End of story. He is good coming off picks for a top of the key jumper and is decent from the corner three... Other than that he is a train wreck on offense. Missing wide open layups, forcing terrible contested shots, shooting 20 shots a game, he can't dribble, he is a terrible passer, he doesn't know what to do with the ball and if he isn't cutting or moving with out the ball on offense he is a complete liability.

He has room to grow on the defensive end of the court but he doesn't stick to his role and play to his strengths anymore. He tries to do way too much on the offensive end and it hurts the team, it hurts his offense, and it even hurts his defense which makes his one really great skill irrelevant.

Low IQ basketball only hurts teams. AB (and ET) are just not smart basketball players and it is very painful to watch.

bradley is a shooting guard, not a point guard. no-one is good at everything (by the way, defense is 50% of the game, why don't you give him some praise there?). and every single player in this league has bad plays and bad games, but i don't see them picked apart with a daily thread like this, it's ridiculous.

and bradley HAS improved during this year dribbling and passing - he's looked better since the all-star break, i've noticed he's using 2 hands more often on bounce passes, and is getting his body square more often on his target. i wonder if playing with rondo gave him some bad habits, as he was trying to replicate maneuvers that were beyond him.

as for his offense, it's fine. he's a good jump shooter on a bad team that's being asked to take a lot of shots. period.
Completely agree. TP
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
How can Bradley, and specifically his defense and effort, be a polarizing topic?!  What next?  Brandon Bass needs to get in shape?  Stevens needs to control his temper better?  I don't get the internet.

Bradley coming off his best month ever.  He has given 110% effort all year, and every year for that matter.  Hasn't taken a single play off since we drafted him.

18.3 points
47%
40.4% 3pt
3.7 reb
2.3 ast
1.9 steals

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
That's a bit ridiculous. I agree with you on Turner. He has a low basketball IQ, makes bad decisions and turnovers.
And he currently has the best assist to turnover ratio on our team among rotation players not named Marcus Smart.

Let me spell it out for you: Avery Bradley is a one-trick pony whose defense has long been not good enough to justify suffering through his offense (hint: when he's not taking one-step jumpers, he's actively hurting your team offensively).

He has no business taking 20 shots a game, and he's done that twice in the last 6 games (unsurprisingly, both of those were comfortable losses against teams with worse records than us).

Well, I would hope Turner does, considering he's been playing more point guard than anything else on this team all year. Before IT came, Turner was our primary ball handler. He's had more opportunity to get assists than anyone else. Doesn't change the fact that he makes bad passes into traffic all the time and chucks up inefficient, contested jumpers with 15 seconds on the shot clock whenever he sees fit while better looks from better shooters are left unrealized.

And You know what, your absolutely right. AB has no business taking 20 shots a game. The role he's playing on this team isn't the one that best suits his talents long term in the NBA, and is only being done out of pure necessity. He isn't going to be shooting 20 times a game when the roster we have now is all healthy, nevermind when we actually get good again. As someone else said, finding AB for a spot up 3 or that hand-off mid range look he gets are some of the better shots we're gonna be able to regularly generate with the players we have. And when your a top 3 option on offense, especially when your not meant to be, it effects defensive play. Bradley is still an above average defender and when he goes back to not being an offensive focal point he'll be even better.

Sure, He's being asked to play a role that really doesn't suit him. Yet, he's done fairly well considering that. What are these two games your talking about? You mean Sacto and LA? Because regardless of their slightly worse record, Sacramento is clearly a better team than us in the present, especially the IT-less team they played against a couple weeks ago. And not only was that game close until the last few minutes, but Bradley scored 28 points, had 6 assists and 4 steals while shooting over 50% and committed 0 turnovers. He was the reason we were in that game, not why we lost.  And that LA game? Yeah they shoulda won it, but it went into overtime and we lost our best player. Hardly a "comfortable loss". AB in that game? Still managed 20 points, 5 boards, 3 steals and no turnovers. Not exactly destroying our offense.

Appreciate who he is as a player and not what he's not. He's not a guy who's gonna rack up dimes, blow past anyone with crazy handles or quickness and he's probably never gonna be a good finisher even if his recent improvement keeps up. But we're not debating if AB is going to be an all-star. We're debating how valuable the role he's fit to play is, how good his defense is at present, and what his future holds. Being a great 3 and D role player is exactly what Bradley is, and that's what he will become. Trying to say he sucks because he puts up too many shots or can't dribble and pass is you saying he should be doing those things in the first place, which he shouldn't be.

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 04:15:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Appreciate who he is as a player and not what he's not.
The problem is that there is a lot more that he isn't (scorer, passer, shutdown defender) than that he is (moderately successful jump-shooter). And when you consider the salary slot he occupies, he becomes hard to stomach, let alone appreciate.

Also, you're really going to bring in the Sacramento Kings? You're talking about a 20-win team that is currently 27th in the league in defense. Just don't...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
Avery Bradley is terrible. Him and Turner kill our starting 5 with their slow pace and unintelligent play.

I agree. When they`re both on court, it`s killing us, but if you remove Evan Turnover from the lineup, we have good defender and nice shooter in AB next to IT. Just let Bradley shoot, keep him out of any ball play, he`ll do his role.
Curry is an MVP. Bradley was on him. He is more than a shooter he disrupts and creates Turnovers.
I think one can give him a pass when he plays againest an MVP who hit some great shots. I take AB over 25 SG in the League. He is getting beter and better.

I'm not talking about last night, I'm talking about in general and every night.

And are you talking about starting SGs? Cause if so I would love to see that list. I'd even love to see that list if you're talking about first 8 guys on any teams rotation... Because I could take about a hundred and 25 SGs I would rather play then Avery Bradley.

That's a bit ridiculous. I agree with you on Turner. He has a low basketball IQ, makes bad decisions and turnovers. Chucks up bad shots. And sure, AB probably Isn't a top 5 shooting guard. But Avery Bradley is one of the main reasons we've played so well lately. This team is better with him on it than not. He's only 23, is clearly still improving and is one of the best shooters we have. He's a plus defender and his offensive game is going from average to above average as we speak. Someone's gotta take shots. IT can't take them all, so if not AB then who? You make it sound like he's the worst player on the team when he's clearly one of the better players we have.

If your rebuilding an NBA franchise, you look to get good, young players under contract with you for an extended period. A 23 year old who shoots 40% from 3 and has an All-NBA defensive selection on his resume is the kind of player you want around. Considering the room he still has to grow, and his present contributions his 8 million a year is completely reasonable and will even look like a bargain in a few years.

But he doesnt shoot 40% from three he shoots 36% and he only shoots 43% from the field. I don't see the argument of "how much he has yet to grow." Bradley is not a good offensive player. Period. End of story. He is good coming off picks for a top of the key jumper and is decent from the corner three... Other than that he is a train wreck on offense. Missing wide open layups, forcing terrible contested shots, shooting 20 shots a game, he can't dribble, he is a terrible passer, he doesn't know what to do with the ball and if he isn't cutting or moving with out the ball on offense he is a complete liability.

He has room to grow on the defensive end of the court but he doesn't stick to his role and play to his strengths anymore. He tries to do way too much on the offensive end and it hurts the team, it hurts his offense, and it even hurts his defense which makes his one really great skill irrelevant.

Low IQ basketball only hurts teams. AB (and ET) are just not smart basketball players and it is very painful to watch.

He shot 40% from 3 last season. Over 40% recently too. He's never gonna be much higher than that from the field, because he's not good at taking it to the rack or finishing drives so like most 3 and D guys, he only takes mostly mid range and long 2s inside the 3pt line. The idea he's still improving stems from the fact that his shot has gotten considerably better since he came in the league. His passing skills and ball handling has managed to go from bad to almost average. He's only 23.

He's been forced into being one of our top scorers on offense. Because of this, he's had to shoot more and since he's getting the ball so much right now, we see more of his bad qualities than we would if he was in the correct role. Danny signed him at what is proving to be a reasonable 8 million, for the correct role. A good, young defensive guard with a nice jump shot who could thrive around a ball-dominant scoring PG in the starting lineup or as a 6th or 7th man off the bench who's job is to hit open threes and generate stops.

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 05:51:38 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Watch the game again, AB had him clipped up until IT coming into the game. Curry went into beast mode when that happened by relentlessly going at him, only reason it didn't hurt us at that moment is because IT also had his outburst. AB still defended Curry solidly when IT was out and didn't have to be on him but once you let him get going there is no stopping him! 

Say what you want BC you don't like AB but it is a fact that he has been one of the best defenders of Curry in the league since Curry came in. That is true no matter how good Curry has become. No one is going to stop a player that great but you won't find a better, consistent containment of him than what you get from AB.

It's a sad sight that some of you wait for the first opportunity to rag on him (Sully/KO) because you don't like him. If I saw this same vitriol when he wasn't having an off night, I'd at least say you were consistently sticking to your thoughts of him but this entire month you people have been mighty quiet.

Who wants people on a team they root for to play bad? A person with an agenda. I get that you don't like certain people but don't hide when it's not going your way, speak up!

If you want MS to take AB's spot and let IT start, say that! Don't hide behind bad games. Because it makes you seem like you are itching for an injury or anything to prove you are right! I have seen people get excited when our guys get injured just to get a player they like PT but be the first to turn on that guy when they don't fit into your expectations.

Unlike some of you, my only agenda is to win games and I don't care who plays. AB may be my favorite player ATM but I TRULY don't care if he played if the Celtics would win because of it! I don't care if he came off the bench or was the waterboy, I WANT TO WIN! I want him to pay well because I want it to help us, if he played well but hurt us then I would hope CBS wouldn't play him. I want players to be good no matter what their team does but those players don't play for us (KG, PP, Giannis, Boogie, RR, JG, etc.)... I don't care about their teams, I just like them!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
Appreciate who he is as a player and not what he's not.
The problem is that there is a lot more that he isn't (scorer, passer, shutdown defender) than that he is (moderately successful jump-shooter). And when you consider the salary slot he occupies, he becomes hard to stomach, let alone appreciate.

Also, you're really going to bring in the Sacramento Kings? You're talking about a 20-win team that is currently 27th in the league in defense. Just don't...

I didn't bring up Sacramento, you did. You said we lost two games comfortably against teams with worse records and Bradley put up a bunch of shots. I was trying to be fair by pointing out that not only was the game close until near the end. But also, that Kings team has considerably more talent with Cousins, Gay and McLemore than we do with no IT, Sully or KO. So trying to blame Bradley for putting up too many shots or not doing enough is not taking things in context.

And I kind of agree with you, he's not consistently elite on defense anymore but he's still a well above average defender. Once he's not being counted on to be a primary option on offense, that elite lock down defense will come back consistently.

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Bradley has been great lately. We lose one game and the possible MVP (Curry) plays great abd Bradley gets criticized.  ::)
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 06:46:59 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If we had an intimidating center piece, Bradley would have a much easier time with assignments like Curry.

But seriously...Imagine what AB would be worth if he could stop a guy like Curry every game.

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Actually if you read the warriors blog, they were wary of AB's D because historically, curry doesnt really shoot well against him. Also there was a post there something to the effect of "warriors strategy is to let IT explode to keep him in the game" because honestly, IT was a negative on D tonight, and curry had his way around him.

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Defensive Chihuahua

;)

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Has the quality of threads on celticsblog forums ever been lower?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

You missed the "trade Rondo" era of the forum?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 02:27:11 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

You missed the "trade Rondo" era of the forum?

And the "Hate Ray Allen" era?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale