Author Topic: Defensive pitbull Bradley no more  (Read 13853 times)

Re: Defensive pitbull Bradley no more
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is hard to lock down a superstar.   Curry is going to get calls folks.

I do think that he is not trying as hard as he did in the past on D as he looks for his shot more.   I too, thought he has picked it up more since the all star break.  But I for one wish he could do both all the time.   

He is a decent scorer when he applies himself, not great or good but capable.   He is an outstanding defender when he applies himself.   Trouble is Stevens is asking him to score and he has always been a guy who can do one or the other.   Maybe he needs a hypnotist, LOL!

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Its easier to defend when you have a KG to bail you out. AB isn't at elite level never was but he is still above average.

Let's ask KG about AB's defense. Oh people have? What does he say? Righttttt.

Maybe you're right and KG is wrong. Possible. I'm still going with what KG (many other players) say about it. Kerr tonight too,  "I’m a big fan of Avery Bradley; I think [rookie Marcus] Smart's going to be a really good player, they are both excellent defensively."
Come now, like if either of those guys would say something bad publicly about a player that gives effort.

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Avery Bradley is terrible. Him and Turner kill our starting 5 with their slow pace and unintelligent play.

I agree. When they`re both on court, it`s killing us, but if you remove Evan Turnover from the lineup, we have good defender and nice shooter in AB next to IT. Just let Bradley shoot, keep him out of any ball play, he`ll do his role.
Curry is an MVP. Bradley was on him. He is more than a shooter he disrupts and creates Turnovers.
I think one can give him a pass when he plays againest an MVP who hit some great shots. I take AB over 25 SG in the League. He is getting beter and better.

I'm not talking about last night, I'm talking about in general and every night.

And are you talking about starting SGs? Cause if so I would love to see that list. I'd even love to see that list if you're talking about first 8 guys on any teams rotation... Because I could take about a hundred and 25 SGs I would rather play then Avery Bradley.

That's a bit ridiculous. I agree with you on Turner. He has a low basketball IQ, makes bad decisions and turnovers. Chucks up bad shots. And sure, AB probably Isn't a top 5 shooting guard. But Avery Bradley is one of the main reasons we've played so well lately. This team is better with him on it than not. He's only 23, is clearly still improving and is one of the best shooters we have. He's a plus defender and his offensive game is going from average to above average as we speak. Someone's gotta take shots. IT can't take them all, so if not AB then who? You make it sound like he's the worst player on the team when he's clearly one of the better players we have.

If your rebuilding an NBA franchise, you look to get good, young players under contract with you for an extended period. A 23 year old who shoots 40% from 3 and has an All-NBA defensive selection on his resume is the kind of player you want around. Considering the room he still has to grow, and his present contributions his 8 million a year is completely reasonable and will even look like a bargain in a few years.

I'll never understand the unjustified hate towards Bradley around here.

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That's a bit ridiculous. I agree with you on Turner. He has a low basketball IQ, makes bad decisions and turnovers.
And he currently has the best assist to turnover ratio on our team among rotation players not named Marcus Smart.

Let me spell it out for you: Avery Bradley is a one-trick pony whose defense has long been not good enough to justify suffering through his offense (hint: when he's not taking one-step jumpers, he's actively hurting your team offensively).

He has no business taking 20 shots a game, and he's done that twice in the last 6 games (unsurprisingly, both of those were comfortable losses against teams with worse records than us).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:03:14 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That's a bit ridiculous. I agree with you on Turner. He has a low basketball IQ, makes bad decisions and turnovers.
And he currently has the best assist to turnover ratio among rotation players not named Marcus Smart.

Let me spell it out for you: Avery Bradley is a one-trick pony whose defense has long been not good enough to justify suffering through his offense (hint: when he's not taking one-step jumpers, he's actively hurting your team offensively).

He has no business taking 20 shots a game, and he's done that twice in the last 6 games (unsurprisingly, both of those were comfortable losses against teams with worse records than us).
Bradley was taking those shots by necessity though. I don't think the coach wants him to take that many shots but has him do so for lack of a better option.

When Thomas is on the court we have no one who can create his own shot. Bradley's one dribble pull up is one of the only shots that can consistently get a semi-"quality" look.

I think Bradley will look a lot better when the C's get more creators and he can just take spot up shots created for him. AB is being blamed too much for this team not being able to use him in a way that works with his skill set.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:31 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
And he currently has the best assist to turnover ratio among rotation players not named Marcus Smart.

Bradley was taking those shots by necessity though. I don't think the coach wants him to take that many shots but has him do so for lack of a better option.

When Thomas is on the court we have no one who can create his own shot. Bradley's one dribble pull up is one of the only shots that can consistently get a semi-"quality" look.

I think Bradley will look a lot better when the C's get more creators and he can just take spot up shots created for him. AB is being blamed too much for this team not being able to use him in a way that works with his skill set.
Wow i am familiar with that statement , as on the certain player we send away

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Surprised we are talking about AB's D. We should be talking about his blown layups.

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Avery Bradley is terrible. Him and Turner kill our starting 5 with their slow pace and unintelligent play.

I agree. When they`re both on court, it`s killing us, but if you remove Evan Turnover from the lineup, we have good defender and nice shooter in AB next to IT. Just let Bradley shoot, keep him out of any ball play, he`ll do his role.
Curry is an MVP. Bradley was on him. He is more than a shooter he disrupts and creates Turnovers.
I think one can give him a pass when he plays againest an MVP who hit some great shots. I take AB over 25 SG in the League. He is getting beter and better.

And are you talking about starting SGs? Cause if so I would love to see that list. I'd even love to see that list if you're talking about first 8 guys on any teams rotation... Because I could take about a hundred and 25 SGs I would rather play then Avery Bradley.

That's a bit ridiculous. I agree with you on Turner. He has a low basketball IQ, makes bad decisions and turnovers. Chucks up bad shots. And sure, AB probably Isn't a top 5 shooting guard. But Avery Bradley is one of the main reasons we've played so well lately. This team is better with him on it than not. He's only 23, is clearly still improving and is one of the best shooters we have. He's a plus defender and his offensive game is going from average to above average as we speak. Someone's gotta take shots. IT can't take them all, so if not AB then who? You make it sound like he's the worst player on the team when he's clearly one of the better players we have.

If your rebuilding an NBA franchise, you look to get good, young players under contract with you for an extended period. A 23 year old who shoots 40% from 3 and has an All-NBA defensive selection on his resume is the kind of player you want around. Considering the room he still has to grow, and his present contributions his 8 million a year is completely reasonable and will even look like a bargain in a few years.

But he doesnt shoot 40% from three he shoots 36% and he only shoots 43% from the field. I don't see the argument of "how much he has yet to grow." Bradley is not a good offensive player. Period. End of story. He is good coming off picks for a top of the key jumper and is decent from the corner three... Other than that he is a train wreck on offense. Missing wide open layups, forcing terrible contested shots, shooting 20 shots a game, he can't dribble, he is a terrible passer, he doesn't know what to do with the ball and if he isn't cutting or moving with out the ball on offense he is a complete liability.

He has room to grow on the defensive end of the court but he doesn't stick to his role and play to his strengths anymore. He tries to do way too much on the offensive end and it hurts the team, it hurts his offense, and it even hurts his defense which makes his one really great skill irrelevant.

Low IQ basketball only hurts teams. AB (and ET) are just not smart basketball players and it is very painful to watch.

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Yeah just go lock down Klay and Curry.  Easy to do.

I wonder if some of you even watch basketball.

TP for that. I have said the sane thing for years here. A good sized group of folks commenting on games clearly didn't watch but looked up  the stats.

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah just go lock down Klay and Curry.  Easy to do.

I wonder if some of you even watch basketball.

TP for that. I have said the sane thing for years here. A good sized group of folks commenting on games clearly didn't watch but looked up  the stats.

There's a two way street here, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 02:23:53 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Posters are free to comment whether they watched or not but it probably doesn't help the quality of this site.

There were two shots that stand out in my mind where Curry had NO room and scored over AB anyway, the most improbable one late in the 3rd quarter. Avery was on him, but Curry is truly great.

I like the comment that Smart is a defensive savant. I have never seen anyone repeatedly grab the ball away from the offensive player with both hands at the same time. His hand speed for his size is just incredible.

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Surprised we are talking about AB's D. We should be talking about his blown layups.
Do we still need to talk about that? He can't finish in traffic and he can't draw fouls. In fact, we should stash him in the corner and keep him there, at least this way he's shooting short 3s instead of long 2s and doesn't have to handle the ball.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Posters are free to comment whether they watched or not but it probably doesn't help the quality of this site.

There were two shots that stand out in my mind where Curry had NO room and scored over AB anyway, the most improbable one late in the 3rd quarter. Avery was on him, but Curry is truly great.

I like the comment that Smart is a defensive savant. I have never seen anyone repeatedly grab the ball away from the offensive player with both hands at the same time. His hand speed for his size is just incredible.

What I mean by that is that there are a lot of posters who watch the games but draw conclusions that don't seem to be supported by anything other than their own eye test (the Rondo arguments -- both for and against -- come to mind here).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Do we still need to talk about that? He can't finish in traffic and he can't draw fouls. In fact, we should stash him in the corner and keep him there, at least this way he's shooting short 3s instead of long 2s and doesn't have to handle the ball.

I kind of figure this is what Danny has in mind for AB when we get some more/develop our star talent around him. Other than his less than stellar size, he's an ideal 3 and D guy in the mold of Danny Green, only more defensively focused on 1's and 2's than 2's and 3's. Honestly, I don't want him shooting those stupid long dribble up twos all of the time. I'd much rather have him take another step out and focus on becoming a knock down three point shooter in the mold of purely a 3 and D guy.

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

But he doesnt shoot 40% from three he shoots 36% and he only shoots 43% from the field. I don't see the argument of "how much he has yet to grow." Bradley is not a good offensive player. Period. End of story. He is good coming off picks for a top of the key jumper and is decent from the corner three... Other than that he is a train wreck on offense. Missing wide open layups, forcing terrible contested shots, shooting 20 shots a game, he can't dribble, he is a terrible passer, he doesn't know what to do with the ball and if he isn't cutting or moving with out the ball on offense he is a complete liability.

He has room to grow on the defensive end of the court but he doesn't stick to his role and play to his strengths anymore. He tries to do way too much on the offensive end and it hurts the team, it hurts his offense, and it even hurts his defense which makes his one really great skill irrelevant.

Low IQ basketball only hurts teams. AB (and ET) are just not smart basketball players and it is very painful to watch.

bradley is a shooting guard, not a point guard. no-one is good at everything (by the way, defense is 50% of the game, why don't you give him some praise there?). and every single player in this league has bad plays and bad games, but i don't see them picked apart with a daily thread like this, it's ridiculous.

and bradley HAS improved during this year dribbling and passing - he's looked better since the all-star break, i've noticed he's using 2 hands more often on bounce passes, and is getting his body square more often on his target. i wonder if playing with rondo gave him some bad habits, as he was trying to replicate maneuvers that were beyond him.

as for his offense, it's fine. he's a good jump shooter on a bad team that's being asked to take a lot of shots. period.