Author Topic: Defensive pitbull Bradley no more  (Read 13855 times)

Re: Defensive pitbull Bradley no more
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
If you rave about the guys defense, than he should play it, even against the best, but obviously he gets passes i guess.

You guys act like he has been playing great defense this year.

I mean, he's no Elfrid out there that's for sure.  Am I right?! ;) lol Sorry, I had to.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »

Offline halfblackman

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't think he turned out to be the defender people expected him to be during the KG era. His defense is above average, but he was an above average defender the day he got drafted. At least his shooting(and recently his dribble moves) are improving.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Its easier to defend when you have a KG to bail you out. AB isn't at elite level never was but he is still above average.

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 01:16:50 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
If you rave about the guys defense, than he should play it, even against the best, but obviously he gets passes i guess.

You guys act like he has been playing great defense this year.

He was playing it. And he's been above average this year, still in the upper echelon of back-court defenders in the league and he's really turned it on as of late. Curry did more of his damage when IT was in the game. Plus, there's something to be said for being a top 3 option on offense and it's effect on your defensive game. All in all he's been a plus defender all year, even better recently.

How good your defense is isn't dictated solely by the stats your opponent puts up. When AB was on Curry, a lot of the shots he made were tough, hand in your face kinda looks. Curry is a legitimate MVP candidate for a reason, and AB held his own against him.

There's only one Marcus Smart and he has to guard Klay Thompson who, if you didn't notice, is both 6'7 and pretty dang good himself. No back court in the league is better than the splash brothers and a very young, overachieving, chasing the 8th seed with a .400 record Celtics squad is no exception. Don't let your personal feelings on a player or his contract cloud you from seeing their strengths and weaknesses fairly.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 01:37:51 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Its easier to defend when you have a KG to bail you out. AB isn't at elite level never was but he is still above average.

Let's ask KG about AB's defense. Oh people have? What does he say? Righttttt.

Maybe you're right and KG is wrong. Possible. I'm still going with what KG (many other players) say about it. Kerr tonight too,  "I’m a big fan of Avery Bradley; I think [rookie Marcus] Smart's going to be a really good player, they are both excellent defensively."
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 03:08:01 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Curry 14-22 5-8 37 pts -AB
(as i remember it's not the first time, Curry never bothered play against him)
KT 9-23 2-10 20pts -Smart
Again how good his defense is?

AB's defense=harassment and try to steal, only works for PG's that has bad handle...which really isn't much

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 03:20:33 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

the whole c's team froze up about halfway through the second quarter, and the Brother Chuckers lit it up after that. c's lost their composure, they weren't executing, weren't decisive as a TEAM. they're young, it's going to happen.

but, by all means, make a scapegoat of bradley. though of course you conveniently forget the string of excellent games he's had recently.

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 06:17:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Avery Bradley is terrible. Him and Turner kill our starting 5 with their slow pace and unintelligent play.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 07:08:08 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Avery Bradley is terrible. Him and Turner kill our starting 5 with their slow pace and unintelligent play.

I agree. When they`re both on court, it`s killing us, but if you remove Evan Turnover from the lineup, we have good defender and nice shooter in AB next to IT. Just let Bradley shoot, keep him out of any ball play, he`ll do his role.

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:30 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

I agree. When they`re both on court, it`s killing us, but if you remove Evan Turnover from the lineup, we have good defender and nice shooter in AB next to IT. Just let Bradley shoot, keep him out of any ball play, he`ll do his role.
Curry is an MVP. Bradley was on him. He is more than a shooter he disrupts and creates Turnovers.
I think one can give him a pass when he plays againest an MVP who hit some great shots. I take AB over 25 SG in the League. He is getting beter and better.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Curry is an MVP. Bradley was on him. He is more than a shooter he disrupts and creates Turnovers.
I think one can give him a pass when he plays againest an MVP who hit some great shots. I take AB over 25 SG in the League. He is getting beter and better.

I'm not talking about last night, I'm talking about in general and every night.

And are you talking about starting SGs? Cause if so I would love to see that list. I'd even love to see that list if you're talking about first 8 guys on any teams rotation... Because I could take about a hundred and 25 SGs I would rather play then Avery Bradley.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Yeah just go lock down Klay and Curry.  Easy to do.

I wonder if some of you even watch basketball.

Haha agreed.

The splash bros are almost unguardable cause they can pull up from anywhere even with a hand on their faces.

Agreed,

On top of that the NBA has set up the rules to favor the offense. No one is ever going to lockdown the Stars of the NBA and with the high rate of pick and role/pop run it really has to be a team effort. AB still is every bit the defender he used to be just his role has grown. This past month he averaged 34mpg and 1st or 2nd option in every game. This increased role doesn't lend itself to picking up PGs full court like he did as a role player in the past.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Curry 14-22 5-8 37 pts -AB
(as i remember it's not the first time, Curry never bothered play against him)
KT 9-23 2-10 20pts -Smart
Again how good his defense is?

AB's defense=harassment and try to steal, only works for PG's that has bad handle...which really isn't much
Go look up their matchups, Bradley has been one of the best defenders in the league over their past matchups. Foul trouble due to his aggressive D was the main problem in the past.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Bradley is just being asked to fill a different role.  When you're a second year player playing 20 minutes a night and sharing the floor with KG, Pierce and Rondo you have the luxury of throwing all your energy into defense and cutting to the basket off of double teams.

He's still Avery Bradley - a young player who's developing his game and dealing with increased minutes and responsibilities.

If you don't think he's a starter that's cool, but he's shown as much promise as any young guard Danny's drafted who's not named Rajon Rondo.   

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Its easier to defend when you have a KG to bail you out.

This bears significant reiteration.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.