Author Topic: Rondo losing Mavs fanbase..  (Read 3997 times)

Rondo losing Mavs fanbase..
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Here's an open letter from a concerned Mavs fan to Rajon Rondo.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2015/2/26/8110919/an-open-letter-to-rajon-rondo-dallas-mavericks-rick-carlisle

I'm really tired of fighting for you with friends and fans. I see the numbers, and I know that you're helping the Mavericks. I know that you've given the team the edge they need to potentially contend this season. But this kind of childish temper tantrum -- it makes watching my favorite team a chore. And you know, it's really, extraordinarily hard to make watching basketball with Dirk Nowitzki a chore.

Re: Rondo losing Mavs fanbase..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah.  Very unlikely he remains there after this season.  Mavs took a gamble and it failed.  Luckily all it cost them was some role players and a late 1st.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Idk if he ever had the fan base really. Outside of the very casual fan.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I got a little lost at the "I know you're helping the Mavericks" part.

I want Rondo to succeed, but it won't be in Dallas this year.  He should have pushed a trade to Sacramento, where he could have controlled the ball and gotten a max payday.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Yeah.  Very unlikely he remains there after this season.  Mavs took a gamble and it failed.  Luckily all it cost them was some role players and a late 1st.

For a team that's already strapped with assets as is, that's a decent-sized haul for them to give up.  How else are they going to improve their team moving forward?

We here fans complain a lot about being "stuck" in middle or land of very good.  Yet fans just ignore that with Celtics because while other teams dont have the flexibility of assets and salary structure - the Celtics do.

Anyways, had a fun little back-and-forth with Draper on the show this week.  Rondo's decline was just so easy to see - even five years ago when I was wondering how effective he'd be after the age of 30.  He's not even 30 yet! Game doesn't translate well to he's aging.  I told Draper he'd be the third best PG on Celtics roster RGHT NOW and that he'd be out of the NBA in 5 years.  Suffice to say, he was flabbergasted.

Kinda begins around 27 minute mark

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/8/a/d8aeeca58634a8cf/celtics_beat_31_finalcut.mp3?c_id=8451390&expiration=1425242446&hwt=ef727b7f83ef5971f8804d1a5fa90408
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

For a team that's already strapped with assets as is, that's a decent-sized haul for them to give up.  How else are they going to improve their team moving forward?

We here fans complain a lot about being "stuck" in middle or land of very good.  Yet fans just ignore that with Celtics because while other teams dont have the flexibility of assets and salary structure - the Celtics do.

Anyways, had a fun little back-and-forth with Draper on the show this week.  Rondo's decline was just so easy to see - even five years ago when I was wondering how effective he'd be after the age of 30.  He's not even 30 yet! Game doesn't translate well to he's aging.  I told Draper he'd be the third best PG on Celtics roster RGHT NOW and that he'd be out of the NBA in 5 years.  Suffice to say, he was flabbergasted.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/8/a/d8aeeca58634a8cf/celtics_beat_31_finalcut.mp3?c_id=8451390&expiration=1425242446&hwt=ef727b7f83ef5971f8804d1a5fa90408

BTW...awesome book!

For anyone who hasn't read it here it is. It's a must read, albeit a sad one, and it makes you wonder all the endless "what if's".

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11271-lhr-book-fall-of-the-boston-celtics-now-available-for-free-download

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 02:50:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I got a little lost at the "I know you're helping the Mavericks" part.

I want Rondo to succeed, but it won't be in Dallas this year.  He should have pushed a trade to Sacramento, where he could have controlled the ball and gotten a max payday.

I agree. I still don't understand his reluctance to go to Sacramento. Reportedly he had said he would not re-sign with them. It would be a great fit for him, having full control of the ball and playing with Boogie, and his friend Rudy Gay, in a warm weather area that got plenty of media attention back when they were legit contenders in the Chris Webber, Peja, Divac era.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
He's only been there for a couple of months, doubt he had much of a Dallas fanbase anyways unless they already watched him prior to being traded.

The majority of the fanbase is Dirk with maybe Tyson or Monta coming in as far 2nd.

They sorta had the same feeling for Parsons earlier in the season when he was going through his slump and being paid so highly. It's what we as fans do.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Maybe he 'll rebound with 25  10.  15 against the Pellies.

But I doubt it. :P

I don't think he hurts the Mavs ....  he just not a good fit into a motion offense , the result is he doesn't help them like Mavs fans hoped ....but Celtics fans knew what would happen .....he stalls out a motion offense.

His not learning to be serious shooting threat ..being a relatively poor and reluctant shot ...doesn't work so much in Ricks offensive scheme.....and not in way CBS wants to run his offense.

Rondo ...is not moving the needle in Dallas....signing him with current roster and schemes would be a huge waste of space and money .  They'd be better resigning Ellis ....letting Rondo move on down the road.

I don't see much great defense out of him either......he still looks lazy.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:17:07 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Do you even watch mavs basketball? You think this is a late first next year for sure? If they lose rondo for nothing?

Dirk has scored 20 or more points in only 20 games this year. He's only scored 30 points twice all year. He's old. He will be older next year. Chandler Parson is the teams highest paid player and is an average player. The mavs have committed all their resources to Ellis, parsons, Dirk, and chandler.

They'll have no cap space after giving big extensions to monta and Tyson. Dirk will be another year older. Same as Tyson. The rondo trade was their Hail Mary. It's failed and as a result this team likely has as well.

Dallas overachieved and looked good early on this year but I doubt, without rondo or compensation for him, their aging core hold teams off like OKC, NO and phoenix next year.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

You're acting that the end result of this trade is set in stone.  With how strong the west is, Dirk being 37 next year, the Mavs potentially looking again for a starting PG, this pick has a chance of being in the middle of the 1st round maybe even better. 

The end result of the Pierce trade exemption was Zeller and Thomas.  We still have the Rondo TE to play with.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You're acting that the end result of this trade is set in stone.  With how strong the west is, Dirk being 37 next year, the Mavs potentially looking again for a starting PG, this pick has a chance of being in the middle of the 1st round maybe even better. 

The end result of the Pierce trade exemption was Zeller and Thomas.  We still have the Rondo TE to play with.

Agreed. LarBrd33 is off the mark.

The pick has a strong chance of being a lottery pick in the west, we were able to get two likely high 2nd picks in the Wright deal, a young 3 and D guy (Crowder) that could be part of our team longterm depending on cost, and have a 12.9M trade exception (larger than the Pierce one).

For comparison, this was the price for the following players:

Dragic

1st rd picks- 2017 & 2021
Granger (who the Heat were dying to trade)

Jackson

2nd rd pick 2017
Singler
Augustin

Rondo is not better than either Dragic or Augustin yet the Mavs paid the highest price for him. Granted, maybe the Suns and Thunder wouldn't have sent those players to another Western conference team, but the return for Rondo should never be in question.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:36:41 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
I could tell Rondo was not a good point guard more than five years ago.  The Celtics won the title and contended in spite of Rondo - not because of Rondo.

Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast

BTW...awesome book!

For anyone who hasn't read it here it is. It's a must read, albeit a sad one, and it makes you wonder all the endless "what if's".

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11271-lhr-book-fall-of-the-boston-celtics-now-available-for-free-download

Wow - that means a lot to me dude. Thanks.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0