Author Topic: 76ers and JaVale McGee reach buyout  (Read 12479 times)

Re: 76ers and JaVale McGee are in discussions over a buyout
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 02:22:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I believe it is a bidding process on waivers, so you can bid how much you want to pay with the team that bids the most getting the player.

The bidding process actually starts once he clears waivers (which he will, as the 6ers got a first to take on his contract).  Once he clears, then hes a free agent teams can offer money to.  If the C's wanted to take a chance, they still have a portion of the MLE left, and so can offer him more than the minimum, and thus beat other teams' offers, by about double.

The process you're thinkng of only applies to amnestied players.
good points. now a question. would it be possible for the celtics to take on player(s) using their trade exemptions, thereby allowing another team to take on mcgee? I am thinking along the lines of what ainge did to acquire zeller, thornton, and the 1st round pick.
No, because the trade deadline has passed. :P And you will have to bring a team under the cap for this to work, which is a long shot anyhow.

Either way, it doesn't matter, because anyone can sign a player on a vet min contract.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I believe it is a bidding process on waivers, so you can bid how much you want to pay with the team that bids the most getting the player.

The bidding process actually starts once he clears waivers (which he will, as the 6ers got a first to take on his contract).  Once he clears, then hes a free agent teams can offer money to.  If the C's wanted to take a chance, they still have a portion of the MLE left, and so can offer him more than the minimum, and thus beat other teams' offers, by about double.

good points. now a question. would it be possible for the celtics to take on player(s) using their trade exemptions, thereby allowing another team to take on mcgee? I am thinking along the lines of what ainge did to acquire zeller, thornton, and the 1st round pick.

No.  The Celtics could have acquired McGee via trade from the Nuggets, which is what Philly did.  But that opportunity has now passed. The Celtics can either claim his entire contract off of waivers (using their trade exception) or sign him as a free agent (using the pro-rated leftover of their MLE, the pro-rates BAE, or the pro-rated minimum).  But getting value for McGee at this point is not possible unless the C's sign him to a contract and trade his new contract later (as in, after the season is over and only if he signs for multiple years).

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

No, because the trade deadline has passed. :P And you will have to bring a team under the cap for this to work, which is a long shot anyhow.

Either way, it doesn't matter, because anyone can sign a player on a vet min contract.
yes, you are correct. and yes, i took my stupid pills today.  :P

many thanks for clearing that up.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 02:47:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I would look into signing McGee, but only for a 2-year contract.  The Celtics could offer him the pro-rated remainder of their MLE, which would be approximately $1.38 million.  They could then give him a raise next year and pay him about $1.45 million.  The minimum salary for someone with McGee's experience next year is $1.36 million, so you'd be paying him a whopping $90k more than that next year.  If he works out, he's a bargain.  If he doesn't, he's really easy to move on from.  This would essentially be a 2-year, $2.8 million offer.

Teams who don't have cap space or exceptions left can only sign him to the pro-rated minimum, which is about $300k at this point.  Accordingly, McGee would need to make $2.5 million in free agency to make up the difference with the offer the Celtics could give him, which isn't impossible, but isn't guaranteed either.

It's not like Shavlik Randolph or Luigi Datome are doing much on the roster anyway.  I don't think McGee is great shakes, but I'd rather have him than either of those two, especially with the opportunity to give him a low-cost look next year.

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Wouldn't McGee rather sign a single-year deal with a team that can give him run, with the hopes of raising his stock for next offseason's free agency? A two-year deal seems like it could cost him money (despite the fact that he's continue to collect paychecks next year from PHI).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Wouldn't McGee rather sign a single-year deal with a team that can give him run, with the hopes of raising his stock for next offseason's free agency? A two-year deal seems like it could cost him money (despite the fact that he's continue to collect paychecks next year from PHI).

It's questionable, since the Celtics could offer him over $1 million more upfront.  It's also not clear that any playoff team is going to be able to give him a lot of minutes, because if you're a playoff team, most of your rotation is set.  As I said, he would have to make about $2.5 million in free agency next summer to come out ahead.  Likely a lot of teams will not want to go that high on him unless he's a total beast in the playoffs.

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
It's not like Shavlik Randolph or Luigi Datome are doing much on the roster anyway.  I don't think McGee is great shakes, but I'd rather have him than either of those two, especially with the opportunity to give him a low-cost look next year.
No looks needed for McGee. He's no spring chicken (turned 27 a couple of months ago) -- he's been weighed, he's been measured, and he's been found wanton.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
No looks needed for McGee. He's no spring chicken (turned 27 a couple of months ago) -- he's been weighed, he's been measured, and he's been found wanton.

He's still better than Randolph in my opinion, and most others we could find for the minimum next year.  The C's could pay more upfront, when they have the room, for a discount next year.  It's low-risk with medium reward.  If the Celtics really needed that extra $1.4 million in cap room next season, I'm sure they could waive McGee, and he wouldn't clear waivers this time.

Re: 76ers and JaVale McGee reach buyout
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
It's not my money, of course, but 2 years for a total of $2.8 million seems like a reasonable gamble to make considering that there is some chance that we are acquiring the rim defender that we desperately need. What does "some chance" mean? Is it 10%, 25%, or 50%? It's certainly no higher than 50%. I think that 25% is a realistic guess.

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
like the soup?  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
like the soup?  ;)
That'd be wonton. :P This would be "wanting" (I could have sworn "wanton" means "lightweight" which is apparently... not quite right :))

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

It's questionable, since the Celtics could offer him over $1 million more upfront.  It's also not clear that any playoff team is going to be able to give him a lot of minutes, because if you're a playoff team, most of your rotation is set.  As I said, he would have to make about $2.5 million in free agency next summer to come out ahead.  Likely a lot of teams will not want to go that high on him unless he's a total beast in the playoffs.

Don't think any team will go out their way to sign him for more than the minimum, I know when a players gets amnestied, and signs a new contract, whatever amount he makes his old team gets that amount off their cap and payroll.

So I would think the same applies to getting waived. He's not going to make more than the minimum the rest of this year and next season, that or going to China next year.

With that said I would welcome signing this guy for the minimum.

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/wonton-soup-recipe.print.html     Excellent recipe.
Of course it's excellent, it's Emeril :) But still, it's no Irish stew.

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Don't think any team will go out their way to sign him for more than the minimum, I know when a players gets amnestied, and signs a new contract, whatever amount he makes his old team gets that amount off their cap and payroll.

So I would think the same applies to getting waived. He's not going to make more than the minimum the rest of this year and next season, that or going to China next year.

With that said I would welcome signing this guy for the minimum.

It's only half of what the player makes after being waived that is deducted from what the player is owed, and not the full amount of what the player makes.  It also doesn't matter if the player signs an NBA deal or goes to China - pro basketball income anywhere is treated the same.  So if McGee signs for $1.5 million next year, he makes an extra $750k than what he was owed, and the Sixers owe $750k less.  In this way players are incentivized to play elsewhere, but teams still get relief for the player being on another team.