Author Topic: Which player in the 11-20 range has the most "star" potential  (Read 1562 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is sort of a sidebar from related topics -- but anyway, assume that the Celtics finish 7th or 8th in the East, and pick 15-16.  This means that players who are slotted in the 11-20 range currently are reasonable expectations for whom the Celtics could draft, as such players may rise are fall about 5 spots, and Ainge has the assets to move 2-3 spots up with relative ease.  Also, people contend that we need someone who can be a star -- without trying to agree or disagree with that contention, which player has the most star potential?  Be it "most likely to be a star" or "most likely to be the biggest star" -- you can interpret star potential how you like.

Draft Express has 11-20 looking like this:

Kelly Oubre
Frank Kaminsky
Kevon Looney
Devon Booker
Caris Levert
Jakob Poeltl
Jerian Grant
Christian Wood
Sam Dekker
Bobby Portis

I can't see Ford's top 20, but I can tell from the lottery machine that 11 through 14 are:

Myles Turner
Devin Booker
Justice Winslow
Frank Kaminsky

Booker and Kaminsky are already in the Draft Express list, but Turner and Winslow are new names (who are top 10 according to Draft Express).  Of those 12 players, which do you think is mostly likely to be a star?  I personally have been highest on Kelly Oubre all year (11 to draft express, 10 to Ford), as I think he has the size and athelticism as well as the potential at an all-around game that is found in elite small forwards.  What does Celticsblog think?  Myles Turner?  Kevon Looney?  Justice Winslow?  Devon Booker?

Point is, while it may not be true in every draft, I do think the Celtics have the possibility of grabbing a star player outside the top 10 this year.  No one is guaranteed to be a star, but there is a lot of talent in that second tier of players, and that second tier could definitely extend to the 15 range.

Re: Which player in the 11-20 range has the most "star" potential
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This is sort of a sidebar from related topics -- but anyway, assume that the Celtics finish 7th or 8th in the East, and pick 15-16.  This means that players who are slotted in the 11-20 range currently are reasonable expectations for whom the Celtics could draft, as such players may rise are fall about 5 spots, and Ainge has the assets to move 2-3 spots up with relative ease.  Also, people contend that we need someone who can be a star -- without trying to agree or disagree with that contention, which player has the most star potential?  Be it "most likely to be a star" or "most likely to be the biggest star" -- you can interpret star potential how you like.

Draft Express has 11-20 looking like this:

Kelly Oubre
Frank Kaminsky
Kevon Looney
Devon Booker
Caris Levert
Jakob Poeltl
Jerian Grant
Christian Wood
Sam Dekker
Bobby Portis

I can't see Ford's top 20, but I can tell from the lottery machine that 11 through 14 are:

Myles Turner
Devin Booker
Justice Winslow
Frank Kaminsky

Booker and Kaminsky are already in the Draft Express list, but Turner and Winslow are new names (who are top 10 according to Draft Express).  Of those 12 players, which do you think is mostly likely to be a star?  I personally have been highest on Kelly Oubre all year (11 to draft express, 10 to Ford), as I think he has the size and athelticism as well as the potential at an all-around game that is found in elite small forwards.  What does Celticsblog think?  Myles Turner?  Kevon Looney?  Justice Winslow?  Devon Booker?

Point is, while it may not be true in every draft, I do think the Celtics have the possibility of grabbing a star player outside the top 10 this year.  No one is guaranteed to be a star, but there is a lot of talent in that second tier of players, and that second tier could definitely extend to the 15 range.
I like Oubre the best as well. I also like Winslow just based on the way Coach K has praised him. Hes called him the best wing talent hes had since grant hill and thats including Jabari. He also called him a guy who is really easy to play with.

Booker is a sharpshooter, and he could be a stud.

I am terrified of Looney because he reminds me of Jeff Green, but I realize that getting Jeff green at pick 10-15 is far from the worst thing that could happen.

Another guy I dont like is TUrner because he already looks like hes 40 years old on the court. I like Levert and Grant but heither look like stars to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: Which player in the 11-20 range has the most "star" potential
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I wouldn't mind Oubre.  Does he have the polish to contribute in year 1, though?

I was just watching some video.  Kevon Looney looks intriguing to me.  He could replace Jeff Green for us and might even be a better defender with his length.  If Looney can play 3 at the NBA level, he would be my choice on draft night.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kevon-looney
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:07:40 PM by vjcsmoke »