Author Topic: Paul Flannery article on the new-look Celtics  (Read 2185 times)

Paul Flannery article on the new-look Celtics
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Flannery is an excellent writer here for SB Nation and he weighs in on the Celtics recent play.

The Celtics have drawn praise around the league for their quirky lineups and hard-nosed approach. The die-hards who still fill the Garden at a respectable rate have seen the progress, incremental though it may be. But as Boston emerges from its snowy winter cocoon and gets over its Super Bowl hangover, the rest of the city has started to take notice of its funky, overachieving basketball team with its new dynamic playmaker.

"The love these people have shown me and I’ve only been here a week? It’s crazy," Thomas says. "Imagine if we start winning, imagine if we get to the playoffs. Where that can go."

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/1/8128173/isaiah-thomas-celtics-jae-crowder-rebooted-sunday-shootaround
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Paul Flannery article on the new-look Celtics
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I love this team.  Let's get another one tonight.  Go C's!!!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
The bonus for making the playoffs; "It will help recruit quality FA's, that wouldn't normally give the Celt's the time of day"

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
When the team is starting to win after poor years, in my city (where it`s all about basketball)we say to each other: Something`s hapenning in the town. -and every citizen knows what you mean. I give you a piece of the atmosphere when my team is awakening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t_TtkkeJcY

Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The bonus for making the playoffs; "It will help recruit quality FA's, that wouldn't normally give the Celt's the time of day"
only if we make the playoffs with a winning record.  At our current pace we can sneak into the playoffs with the 8th seed while a handful of better teams in the western conference will have lotto picks.  With playoff reform potentially coming, making the playoffs with a below .500 record puts you in a worse position to lure free agents than finishing the season bottom 5 and having an impact rookie coming on board.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
When the team is starting to win after poor years, in my city (where it`s all about basketball)we say to each other: Something`s hapenning in the town. -and every citizen knows what you mean. I give you a piece of the atmosphere when my team is awakening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t_TtkkeJcY

Go Celtics!!!

I'm on vacation this week and I bought good tickets to the Jazz game (who are playing much better themselves), over a month ago, just cause I always go to at least one game a year. But I'm really excited to see this group in person. It's been a couple years now since I was there to see the garden rockin, and I can't wait to see it again. Nothing quite like watching a close game in Boston, regardless of the sport

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
only if we make the playoffs with a winning record.  At our current pace we can sneak into the playoffs with the 8th seed while a handful of better teams in the western conference will have lotto picks.  With playoff reform potentially coming, making the playoffs with a below .500 record puts you in a worse position to lure free agents than finishing the season bottom 5 and having an impact rookie coming on board.

We're not a bottom five team however.  The only way we could be is if we TRIED to be.  Not the tradition that the Celtics have embraced so far in their existence.

Making the playoffs tells any potential FA that the Celts are improving, determined to building a consistently good team for years to come, and have the resources to do it. 

The question is do they want to be on the band wagon...or languish in NY like Anthony.  Money fills a wallet, but doesn't do a heck of a lot for the feeling of being on a winner.

Rak