Author Topic: Could Alexis Ajinca be the next Marcin Gortat?  (Read 5294 times)

Could Alexis Ajinca be the next Marcin Gortat?
« on: March 01, 2015, 12:54:02 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
For whatever reason in the last 2 years I've caught almost as many Pelicans games as I have Celtics. I started mostly by sifting through Anthony Davis minutes but over time I've come to really gain an appreciation for his backup, Alexis Ajinca.

Against The Heat with Davis sidelined with his shoulder Ajinca was able to step in and provide a presence that The Heat, including recent emerging Center Hassan Whiteside, couldn't handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdkiMIoJzfM

Ajinca is massive. Around the time he was drafted, he was viewed as a player who might do some good things by accident due to his immense height and length but will mostly just drift around the 3 point line and get bullied by more physical 4s and 5s. The player he's turning into now is still amongst the tallest trees in the league but a player who moves with purpose and shoots with confidence. You really would have a hard time finding a better backup for AD.

Could he be a future player to target? He may be growing too big for a backup bench role would step onto our roster as the tallest player, and due to his status late bloomer he may still have room to develop as a player He's got the size and game of a more modern, quick playing pick and pop Center.

He's also speaks English fluently and sees a mental coach to help him develop a better approach to the game.
http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2015/01/alexis_ajinca_talks_having_a_m.html
(Poor Quality Vid)

Ajinca's 26 years old, unrestricted this summer, and coming off 2 years at the league minimum. It's possible the situation could devolve into one similar to Gortat behind Dwight where he could be searching for a role too big for The Pelican's to provide.

Any thoughts on Alexis Ajinca? Would the Pelicans let him go? Could he be good enough to justify taking minutes over Zeller/Olynyk/Jerebko? Could he provide, cliche a term as many around here find it to be, Rim Protection?

Re: Could Alexis Ajinca be the next Marcin Gortat?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:04:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I haven't seen much of Ajinca, so I won't comment on whether he's a good fit for the C's.  But he's an unrestricted free agent, so certainly a good offer gets him.  Whether or not New Orleans can be the team to afford to make him that offer (assuming he is indeed worth more than the minimum) largely depends on whether and how much they commit to Asik, who's also an unrestricted free agent.  If Ajinca is worth offering significantly more than the minimum to, they will have trouble affording both.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:12 AM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
I was a fan of picking up Gortat prior to when the Suns let him go...and was a big fan of getting Gobert before he was anybody. Now, this guy is a definite get if we dont get a big name or high draft center.  He is HUGE and can do some things... mainly shoot and be HUGE.  I like him for our team instead of waiting on any rookie that we pick up after #10 pick

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 01:36:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It is impressive how much Ajinca has improved over last few years. It looked like he would be out of the league for good just a couple of years ago. It's strange to see so many centers start to do well over last two years. Especially these stick-thin bad fundamentals guys who are now putting things together.

I do not think Ajinca has done enough to be compared to Gortat but he is a good backup C. With the Celtics struggling for a starting center, I would be happy to give Ajinca a chance. Say a two year contract at inflated price to keep the years short. Maybe two years $14 million. If 2nd year could be partially guaranteed or a team option, all the better.

I would like to see more defense out of Ajinca. I think his offense is further ahead than his defense right now. He coasts on defense too much for my liking. He could be a terrific defender with those physical tools of his but he doesn't put full effort in. Needs to improve his passing. I am impressed with Ajinca's shooting and the variety of shots he is capable of making. Maybe Vucevic is a better comp for Ajinca than Gortat.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I like ajinca
He's improved a lot quietly over his career

I'm not so sure with the gortat comparison

I always felt gortat was talented enough to be starter since seeing him play with the magic

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:05:05 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
It is impressive how much Ajinca has improved over last few years. It looked like he would be out of the league for good just a couple of years ago. It's strange to see so many centers start to do well over last two years. Especially these stick-thin bad fundamentals guys who are now putting things together.

I do not think Ajinca has done enough to be compared to Gortat but he is a good backup C. With the Celtics struggling for a starting center, I would be happy to give Ajinca a chance. Say a two year contract at inflated price to keep the years short. Maybe two years $14 million. If 2nd year could be partially guaranteed or a team option, all the better.

I would like to see more defense out of Ajinca. I think his offense is further ahead than his defense right now. He coasts on defense too much for my liking. He could be a terrific defender with those physical tools of his but he doesn't put full effort in. Needs to improve his passing. I am impressed with Ajinca's shooting and the variety of shots he is capable of making. Maybe Vucevic is a better comp for Ajinca than Gortat.

My thoughts exactly, a nice pay raise without tying up the franchise long term. If he works out, lock him into an extension next offseason.

Only meant that Anjinca and Orlando Gortat could have a similar too-good-to-be-a-backup dilemma, nothing to do with their on court skillsets. Both stuck behind top big men at their respective positions.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:30:02 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Ajinca is huge, and has great hands, and great shooting touch, and legit big man moves in the paint. Even if he doesn't improve his defense, which he can improve if he wants to, he will get a starting job somewhere, there just are not many guys his size with those type of skills anymore.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If he good do you think it is realistic: 1) that they will let him walk ? and 2)other teams will not want him?

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
If he good do you think it is realistic: 1) that they will let him walk ? and 2)other teams will not want him?

#1 He's an unrestricted free agent who will likely want more money and minutes than they want to give for Anthony Davis' backup, so yes.

#2 We will have plenty of cap space and we are in need of a good center. Of course other teams will want him, but we can offer comparable money and playing time , so if we want him we can easily get him.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:36:32 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
If he shaves his head   ???

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Interesting guy to look at.  We will have some money to spend.  It depends on how the draft falls though.  I'd much prefer we draft a high upside bigman like WCS or Myles Turner.  However if we don't land a good big man in the draft, we could take a look at Ajinca.  He looks improved offensively, but how is he as a 'rim protector'?

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think there are some factors in the Celtics making a push to sign him.. Maybe someone that watches him a lot can answer this for me.

1) Is he mobile enough to play in CBS's pace&space offense?
2) Does he have the stamina to play 20+ minutes of consistent Defense?

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 04:43:44 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42

If you look at the league it's a guards league with guard coaches.  The big men are learning on the job or from backing up someone dominant and not from some trained coaching staff.  I think guys that develop quicker like Al Jefferson benefit from having a good coach and other big guys are developed by the player in front of them or they are extremely talented.  Big man development time has become the new point guard development time when it used to take guards 3-4 years to develop.

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Count me in.

- He's currently ranked 21st in PER just ahead of players like Lilliard, Teague, Butler and Deandre.
- His per 36 avgs are:  17.5 PTS    12.2 REB    2.0 BLK    .811 FT% @ 4.3 FTA
- Stands at 7'1" with 7'9" Wingspan and 9'4" Standing reach
- What about his Defense in P/R? Please see clip below @ the 6:24 mark. Albeit the clips showed games against European players, I think he can be a serviceable defender in P\R situations mainly of his mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUA0dy74Lo8
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:53:11 AM by Yenohb »

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Count me in.

- He's currently ranked 21st in PER just ahead of players like Lilliard, Teague, Butler and Deandre.
- His per 36 avgs are:  17.5 PTS    12.2 REB    2.0 BLK    .811 FT% @ 4.3 FTA
- Stands at 7'1" with 7'9" Wingspan and 9'4" Standing reach
- What about his Defense in P/R? Please see clip below @ the 6:24 mark. Albeit the clips showed games against European players, I think he can be a serviceable defender in P\R situations mainly of his mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUA0dy74Lo8
Tp, for the info. I was going mainly off the eye test but I'm not surprised that Ajinca measures out per/36.
These situations are always worth monitoring because they have a Dantley for Acguire factor.

The player isn't on the trade block because of lack of skill or even one that's hard to fit into a scheme, they simply don't fit the team that their currently on.