Author Topic: How good is Isaiah Thomas' Contract?  (Read 6839 times)

How good is Isaiah Thomas' Contract?
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Really good, and here's my proof.

Player A averages 36 MPG, 19PPG, 5 APG, 4 RPG, and 1.5 SPG on 40%/32%/82% splits. He  signed a contract for 4 years/48 million dollar contract.

Thomas averages 26 MPG, 16PPG, 4 APG, 2 RPG, and 1 SPG on 42%/39%/89% splits. He just signed a 4 years/27 million dollar contract.

Player A is Kemba Walker. Dig further, and you find that in their contract years (2013-2014), the numbers are even closer. Walker was at 18, 6, 4, and 1.2 on 38%/33%/84% in 36 MPG. Thomas was 20, 6, 3, 1.2 on 45%/35%/85% in 34 MPG. For some reason, Thomas couldn't get anywhere close to the 12 million a year that Walker got, and had to settle for a contract that averaged about 6.7 million a year, almost half of Walker.

Advanced stats say the same things. In fact, they are both defensive liabilities according to the DRPM stat: Walker at -1.68 and Thomas at -1.9. However, Thomas has a better ORPM stat than Walker: Walker at 2.82 and Thomas at 3.25 (Thomas is the tenth best in the NBA at the ORPM stat).

The WAR stat indicates the estimated number of wins a particular player adds to his team: Walker is at 3.15 and Thomas is at 2.77.

If you argue, "But more of the offense falls on Walker's shoulders, and therefore his production won't look as good." Actually, the usage stats say that Thomas has a much higher responsibility for his team's offense. His usage rate is 35% to Walker's 25%.

Oh, and Thomas also wins the PER at 20.06 to Walker's 18.73.

I think you could make the argument that Thomas is a better player than Walker from these stats, although I'm not convinced of that myself. If Kemba Walker's contract sets the level for players of his production (and it approximately does), then we got a little more production than that for almost half the price.

That's a player that's worth a late first round pick.

Re: How good is Isaiah Thomas' Contract?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
good post. good homework. so you get a good tp.  ;D

what is also incredible about thomas' contract is that it goes DOWN over time. right now, thomas is the best scorer on the celtics, a great off-the-bench spark plug.  right now, his salary is just a shade more than his tacoma buddy, bradley, and is second on the team after wallace.

in two years, bradley will make $2.6 million more than thomas.

thomas is a bargain for this team. he provides one of the things this team needed (offense) and does so at a very reasonable salary. and on the celtics his defensive shortcomings can be covered up by either bradley or smart.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Another way to look at it: how much is Rondo going to get paid this summer? Thomas is the better player at this point in their careers by a fairly wide margin, yet (thanks to the Buss anti-brain trust) Rondo's likely to make somewhere between 50-80% more than Thomas next year.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
In my view, the whole point of the analytics revolution in nearly all of sports is the value of player contracts.

IT is just another example of how advanced stats find the valuable contracts and bad ones too (ie Kendrick Perkins). 

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:03:35 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I love everything about I.T.4

His game, his contract, his heart, the fact that I'm an inch taller than him.

C's future looking bright!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:05:03 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
In my view, the whole point of the analytics revolution in nearly all of sports is the value of player contracts.

IT is just another example of how advanced stats find the valuable contracts and bad ones too (ie Kendrick Perkins).
mc, this is a very interesting point, and one in which i am not well versed. would you be able to expand on your points above and show precisely how advanced stats (and which advanced stats) are related to contracts, bad ones include.

thanks in advance.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
And IT is a much better deal than derrick rose, and soon to be rondo.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Just to expand on the OP:

And these stats were both on bad teams, too.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 10:59:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Kemba Walker sucks.  He's a chucker that belongs on a bench like Thomas.  Totally overpaid.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 11:25:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Love his contract. New Lou Williams, and paid according to the soon cap 'splosion.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
the 2 reasons he got so much less are his height and when he was drafted. Walker was making a ton more last season because he was a lottery pick and Thomas was the second to last pick.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
the 2 reasons he got so much less are his height and when he was drafted. Walker was making a ton more last season because he was a lottery pick and Thomas was the second to last pick.

Correction Thomas was the LAST pick in the draft.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His contract is excellent.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 02:09:04 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Just to expand on the OP:

And these stats were both on bad teams, too.

That's crazy. To think he was averaging similar to better stats on a similarly horrible team and got that much less than Irving is crazy.  His height and pick in the draft really hurts his reputation.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 02:14:04 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Extremely good
It underpays him and decreases from time

We could flip him for another 1st rounder
Or keep him for the future
He is a very good player and still young

A great pickup for a probs bottom of the 1st round draft pick