Author Topic: Jerebko is better than I thought  (Read 8459 times)

Re: Jerebko is better than I thought
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Jerebko is a combo forward (PF/SF). Jerebko is a good utility player who because of his smarts and versatile game is capable of filling in at SG or even C if team is desperate. In the past, his lack of a jump-shoot has left him relegated to being an 8th/9th man type of player but his recent improvement in outside shooting over last 18 months allowed him to become an important role player in team's rotation.

Jerebko did start at PF earlier in his career. He lacked the physicality to be an above average defender. Got out-muscled too often. He did not have the offensive game to create mismatches on the other end so without high level defense, Jerebko was correctly sent back to a bench role. As a backup PF, his lack of physical strength was exploited less often and his defense was good for that role. His lack of offensive game meant he was still only borderline rotation guy though.

I think with his improved jump-shot, Jerebko can be an above average backup PF.

I still question how well his long distance shooting will hold up over long haul -- only 66 made 3s over last 18 months due to low minutes so still some uncertainty as to how well his jumper will hold up as he gains more playing time -- but if Jerebko can continue to hit at a solid rate and at good frequency, he may be able to be a starting PF again. A below average but adequate starter. Someone who is your 4th or 5th starter. A glue guy.

So I would say he is somewhere in that range between above average backup PF to below average but adequate 4th/5th starter. Glue guy.

What % of those 3s has he made?

High percentage. 41% last year (700 minutes, 87 attempts). 37% this year in Detroit (700 minutes, 76 attempts). 3 games for Boston, 49 minutes, 7 for 11 from three point land. 

Very encouraging.

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 07:05:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Or is a tremendous fit under CBS system.
Or people need to realize that the "prospects" we've been trotting out there whole season are really a pretty miserable lot, when compared to the average NBA player.
I think this is true as far as Olynyk goes.

I don't see how any objective analysis can come to the conclusion that Kelly Olynyk is a below average NBA player.

Do you consider Olynyk a PF or a C? Probably a PF.

Where do you rank Olynyk amongst starting PFs?
Where do you rank Olynyk amongst bench PFs?

KO is in his 2nd year !

You have to be more realistic.  Some guys here in CB want 1st year players to produce or play like a vet that has been in the league for 5 seasons. Or is a top 5 pick or something

KO is a PF and has a chance to be a good one.  If Kevin Love can be good in the NBA so can KO. Love is shorter, similar short wingspan, avg quickness/athleticism.

I think KO is more Mike Dunleavy than he is Kevin Love.  The reason I see KO as having a limited ceiling is his hands.  KO does not seem to be able to hold onto the ball in trafiic and does not have the 'mitts' to grab boards or handle tough passes like Sully -- or Zeller.   It's the one thing I see in KO that I just don't know how he'll improve upon.  I think he'll improve his ability (and confidence) to get his shot off and utilize his height better on fallaways.  I think he'll continue to be a good passer for a 4/5, and I also think he could get stronger and become an adequate defender and better able to use his body underneath.  But those hands just seem weak.

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Or people need to realize that the "prospects" we've been trotting out there whole season are really a pretty miserable lot, when compared to the average NBA player.

I don't see how any objective analysis can come to the conclusion that Kelly Olynyk is a below average NBA player.
Easily, when you realize that basketball is played on both ends of the court.

And? KO does play on both ends. The effort is there
Don't mistake effort for achievement.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 07:56:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Jerebko is a combo forward (PF/SF). Jerebko is a good utility player who because of his smarts and versatile game is capable of filling in at SG or even C if team is desperate. In the past, his lack of a jump-shoot has left him relegated to being an 8th/9th man type of player but his recent improvement in outside shooting over last 18 months allowed him to become an important role player in team's rotation.

Jerebko did start at PF earlier in his career. He lacked the physicality to be an above average defender. Got out-muscled too often. He did not have the offensive game to create mismatches on the other end so without high level defense, Jerebko was correctly sent back to a bench role. As a backup PF, his lack of physical strength was exploited less often and his defense was good for that role. His lack of offensive game meant he was still only borderline rotation guy though.

I still question how well his long distance shooting will hold up over long haul -- only 66 made 3s over last 18 months due to low minutes so still some uncertainty as to how well his jumper will hold up as he gains more playing time -- but if Jerebko can continue to hit at a solid rate and at good frequency, he may be able to be a starting PF again. A below average but adequate starter. Someone who is your 4th or 5th starter. A glue guy.

So I would say he is somewhere in that range between above average backup PF to below average but adequate 4th/5th starter. Glue guy.

High percentage. 41% last year (700 minutes, 87 attempts). 37% this year in Detroit (700 minutes, 76 attempts). 3 games for Boston, 49 minutes, 7 for 11 from three point land. 

Very encouraging.
and is better than the original employee number 8.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Very encouraging.

Right. According to ESPN Insider he made 68% (!) of his 3s from the corners last year.

I think JJ may have been a bit of a victim to the log jam at the 4 in DET the last couple of years. He could be a guy who averages 12 and 7 off the bench on the right squad, and I suspect on a reasonable deal. I'm interested to see if he can sustain his efficient tendencies over the next few weeks.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 10:25:40 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
So who does Jerebko compare to?

Already mentioned

-Birdman with  a 3 pt shot

NBAdraft compared him to Thabo Sefolosha?

Maybe Patrick Patterson is a better compairson

Toni Kukoc is who he reminds me of, will shine on a good team with minutes but not a star, an above average defender and an above average player on offense, not great, but above average on all angles
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 11:14:17 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Easily, when you realize that basketball is played on both ends of the court.

And? KO does play on both ends. The effort is there
Don't mistake effort for achievement.

But always judge players on their worst efforts in their first two years in the league.

Mike