Author Topic: Jerebko is better than I thought  (Read 8465 times)

Re: Jerebko is better than I thought
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »

Offline LarryForThree

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
watching these highlights again, man this guy is ALL over the place.

He had a good game..but this is a string of quick edits. Where's the other 20 plus mins of playing time that this clip didn't show.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Or is a tremendous fit under CBS system.
Or people need to realize that the "prospects" we've been trotting out there whole season are really a pretty miserable lot, when compared to the average NBA player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Or people need to realize that the "prospects" we've been trotting out there whole season are really a pretty miserable lot, when compared to the average NBA player.
I think this is true as far as Olynyk goes.

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I don't see how any objective analysis can come to the conclusion that Kelly Olynyk is a below average NBA player. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I don't see how any objective analysis can come to the conclusion that Kelly Olynyk is a below average NBA player.

Do you consider Olynyk a PF or a C? Probably a PF.

Where do you rank Olynyk amongst starting PFs?
Where do you rank Olynyk amongst bench PFs?

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So who does Jerebko compare to?

Already mentioned

-Birdman with  a 3 pt shot

NBAdraft compared him to Thabo Sefolosha?

Maybe Patrick Patterson is a better compairson

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think that Jerebko is a better fit than KO. He can actually play two positions, if undersized for Center. He is perfect off the bench. I think Danny should try to trade KO to move up in the draft. I also think that Smart, IT, AB, Young, Crowder, Sully, Jerebko, and Zeller should be the main guys that start next year.

I said earlier that I would love WCS in the draft, but I would be ok with drafting another center with defensive potential, and an offensive game that meshes with the offense that CBS is using (Passing ability and finishing at the rim when open or the best option).

But give Sully another chance to get in better shape, give Young a chance to improve his game this summer, and get a center who can play defense without being a liability on offense. See what we have next year with that. I think it could be a 4 seed in the playoffs in the east.

Next offseason after that, see what needs tweaking/overhauled and move from there.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Do you consider Olynyk a PF or a C? Probably a PF.

Where do you rank Olynyk amongst starting PFs?
Where do you rank Olynyk amongst bench PFs?

KO is in his 2nd year !

You have to be more realistic.  Some guys here in CB want 1st year players to produce or play like a vet that has been in the league for 5 seasons. Or is a top 5 pick or something

KO is a PF and has a chance to be a good one.  If Kevin Love can be good in the NBA so can KO. Love is shorter, similar short wingspan, avg quickness/athleticism.   

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Here is a list of 30 team's bench power forwards -- where would you rank Olynyk amongst this group?

David Lee - should be a starter
Josh Smith - should be a starter
Taj Gibson - should be a starter
Boris Diaw
Ryan Anderson
Mike Scott
Jonas Jerebko
Kris Humphries
Nikola Mirotic
Nick Collison
Ersan Ilyasova
Carl Landry
Brandon Bass
Patrick Patterson
Marcus Morris
Darrell Arthur
Luis Scola

Trevor Booker
Shawn Marion
Aaron Gordon
Anthony Tolliver
Adriein Payne
Ed Davis
Glen Davis
Jon Leuer
Damjan Rudez
Derrick Williams
Michael Beasley
Charlie Villanueva
Jason Maxiell
Quincy Acy

I think I'd rate Olynyk around that break off point. Maybe a bit below.
Probably 15-20th amongst backup PFs.

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Jerebko is a combo forward (PF/SF). Jerebko is a good utility player who because of his smarts and versatile game is capable of filling in at SG or even C if team is desperate. In the past, his lack of a jump-shoot has left him relegated to being an 8th/9th man type of player but his recent improvement in outside shooting over last 18 months allowed him to become an important role player in team's rotation.

Jerebko did start at PF earlier in his career. He lacked the physicality to be an above average defender. Got out-muscled too often. He did not have the offensive game to create mismatches on the other end so without high level defense, Jerebko was correctly sent back to a bench role. As a backup PF, his lack of physical strength was exploited less often and his defense was good for that role. His lack of offensive game meant he was still only borderline rotation guy though.

I think with his improved jump-shot, Jerebko can be an above average backup PF.

I still question how well his long distance shooting will hold up over long haul -- only 66 made 3s over last 18 months due to low minutes so still some uncertainty as to how well his jumper will hold up as he gains more playing time -- but if Jerebko can continue to hit at a solid rate and at good frequency, he may be able to be a starting PF again. A below average but adequate starter. Someone who is your 4th or 5th starter. A glue guy.

So I would say he is somewhere in that range between above average backup PF to below average but adequate 4th/5th starter. Glue guy.

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Easily, when you realize that basketball is played on both ends of the court.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

And? KO does play on both ends. The effort is there

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 06:15:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

We all realize that Kelly's no great shakes defensively, but I find his woes to be greatly exaggerated compared to the average NBA player. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 06:42:01 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Jerebko is a combo forward (PF/SF). Jerebko is a good utility player who because of his smarts and versatile game is capable of filling in at SG or even C if team is desperate. In the past, his lack of a jump-shoot has left him relegated to being an 8th/9th man type of player but his recent improvement in outside shooting over last 18 months allowed him to become an important role player in team's rotation.

Jerebko did start at PF earlier in his career. He lacked the physicality to be an above average defender. Got out-muscled too often. He did not have the offensive game to create mismatches on the other end so without high level defense, Jerebko was correctly sent back to a bench role. As a backup PF, his lack of physical strength was exploited less often and his defense was good for that role. His lack of offensive game meant he was still only borderline rotation guy though.

I think with his improved jump-shot, Jerebko can be an above average backup PF.

I still question how well his long distance shooting will hold up over long haul -- only 66 made 3s over last 18 months due to low minutes so still some uncertainty as to how well his jumper will hold up as he gains more playing time -- but if Jerebko can continue to hit at a solid rate and at good frequency, he may be able to be a starting PF again. A below average but adequate starter. Someone who is your 4th or 5th starter. A glue guy.

So I would say he is somewhere in that range between above average backup PF to below average but adequate 4th/5th starter. Glue guy.

What % of those 3s has he made?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Jerebko is a free agent at the end of the season. He's been a pleasant surprise but there's a good chance he might not be back next year.