Author Topic: What do you expect from Olynyk when he returns?  (Read 5174 times)

Re: What do you expect from Olynyk when he returns?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think it is important to give Olynyk major minutes now.
I think it's important to let Olynyk know now that if he wants minutes, he should play better than Jonas Jerebko.
IT is getting a lot of guys open looks by drawing the defense in or towards him. Lets first see if Olynyk can also take advantage of some of the open space that Jerebko is getting.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 04:44:50 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I expect him to come back to the big man rotation. It's not like the C's are currently blessed with lots of big men. As much as Jerebko has impressed the last 2 games, he's an upcoming free agent. Ditto for Brandon Bass. I don't think it makes much sense to phase out your 2nd year player in favor of 2 guys who might not be here next year. Zeller and Olynyk should be getting good minutes for the rest of the season imo.

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think it's important to let Olynyk know now that if he wants minutes, he should play better than Jonas Jerebko.
I do not think Olynyk is better than Jerebko. I do not expect him to outplay Jerebko.

The question for me is can Olynyk be better than Jerebko 3 years from now?
And if so, how much better? Enough to let Jerebko leave in the summer as a free agent?
Or if not -- should Boston trade Olynyk this summer and keep Jerebko? (my preferred option)

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't expect much for now.  He hasn't played in awhile, and rust is natural.  I think he'll be eased into the rotation at the end of the first quarter.  If he plays well, he'll get more minutes later on, and if he doesn't, he won't without garbage time.  It'll go like that until he shows something in game.

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
"What do you expect from Olynyk when he returns?"

big ole nothing.

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I do not think Olynyk is better than Jerebko. I do not expect him to outplay Jerebko.

The question for me is can Olynyk be better than Jerebko 3 years from now?
And if so, how much better? Enough to let Jerebko leave in the summer as a free agent?
Or if not -- should Boston trade Olynyk this summer and keep Jerebko? (my preferred option)

Good point, I'm not sure KO will ever be all around better than Jerebko. I think Jerebko is just more fluid, active and more athletic, and much quicker. I also understand Jerebko is not used to playing with these players and in the CBS system, where Kelly has been playing it for almost 2 years.

I'm not in favor of over-paying the Swede either. Lets face it we've only seen him for a few games, lets talk in 15-20 games.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I expect Zeller to lose even more playing time...Makes me sick...

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Not thinking he ll return yet.  Going by what he told the reporter on the video.

Not ready to toss him under the bus .   

Need to see  another 6 games or so of Jonas.....before proclaiming him the next Celtic starting PF .

CBS will make Jonas take the minutes from KO.......KO has the seniority and I'm sure Stevens will let him play to get him back into shape.

DA .....loves Kelly .......like AB .......he is going to be very patient with him.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:44:32 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
This is still a development year, even considering their push for the 8th seed. Jerebko has played really well, but he's only been here for four games, he's what, 27 years old now? And he has a similar offensive skill set to KO. Kelly has had more than three good games for us in his time here. He's not gonna have to rip minutes out of Jerebko's hands. They'll probably start off on a near even level once KO is totally healthy.

But with Sullinger out for the year, were gonna see a fair amount of KO at the 4 spot I'm sure. He's more natural there anyway. As a true 7 footer with experience, you can put him out there at the 5 as well. He's our best C after Zeller. I know CBS played Jerebko there a couple times the past few games, and I know it worked out, but that was born out of necessity. A lineup that small can only stay successful if it's used sparingly in the right situations. KOs versatility in his ability to play both the 4 and the 5, and his perimeter/ball handling skills make him a good fit for what they're doing with IT. He'll get his minutes, and I think he'll do well with them. This team needs a 3rd scoring option behind Thomas and Bradley, and I think KO is it.

Besides, Stevens has done an excellent job getting the best performance out of his players. We've overachieved both individually and as a group ever since the Rondo trade. KO is 23, Jerebko is 27 and a free agent in a couple of months. We're not winning anything this year, you have to give Olynyk major minutes.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
TP. This

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
More of the same soft stretch four