Author Topic: What do you expect from Olynyk when he returns?  (Read 5178 times)

What do you expect from Olynyk when he returns?
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Olynyk is getting closer to a return. I was wondering what everyone is expecting from him once he gets his conditioning back. I'm really looking forward to how he might play with Thomas. Becoming more consistent with his shot will be important for him. He's already nifty around the basket but his jumper needs improvement.

Re: What do you expect from Olynyk when he returns?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I expect we see more of the indecisive foul machine than the 15/7/4/1 guy he should be.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I expect him to space the floor. We have had our best success lately when we go small with 5 3 point shooters. I expect him to slide right in, get a lot of open looks and play well. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the starting job from Zeller.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Sorry, I just can't get overly excited about Kelly's potential anymore. He's all O and no D. As noted above, he's a foul machine and for a good reason, he can't move his feet, has no defensive anticipation at all, he can't leap, he has short arms, and appears that he doesn't even want to be playing near the paint. He's a 7' guard.

His anticipation will improve as his experience increases, I'm not sure it will improve enough to allow him to cover most centers or most power forwards in the NBA. I do believe he works hard, and that will certainly help.

His value will be off the bench on a team that can afford the luxury of his game.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sorry to say I agree. A really bad pick given Greek freak, Schroeder, Dieng, Gobert & Muhammad were available.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
With Sully out, I expect Olynyk to be a focal point (main big) of the Celtics offense.

Sully took a lot of touches away from Olynyk because Sully was a very good offensive player himself and more consistently aggressive on offense. Olynyk's passive ways got him stuck behind Sully. No Sully rest of the way so Olynyk should be freed up to take a lot of those touches and be Boston's main offensive big.

I think Olynyk will be more consistent as a result ... due to higher amount of touches, shots, playing time and overall responsibility.

I don't think Olynyk is one of those players who does well in a 15-20mpg role. He just isn't aggressive enough as an attacker. He is more of a facilitator to an offense with his passing and shooting ability. He is the type of player who needs long minutes to show just how valuable he can be offensively. Again, Sully was in his way and stopped Olynyk from having this and with Sully out injured ... I think Olynyk has this opportunity now.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:56:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Olynyk is getting closer to a return. I was wondering what everyone is expecting from him once he gets his conditioning back.
I expect him not to take away too many minutes from Crowder and Jerebko.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 01:01:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
more passive play. What else do you expect.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
20-30MPG depending on the match up. probably right around 25. 11-14PPG, 5-7 RPG, 2-4 APG, 36% from 3 and maybe an occasional block, is stats are your thing.

With Sully out for the season, it's gonna be KO, Zeller, Jerebko, Bass and the occasional small ball lineup with Crowder working for those minutes. KO provides better offensive versatility than any of those guys, he can play both PF and C more naturally than anyone besides Zeller and despite his defensive shortcomings we need consistent front-court scoring that fits into CBS system. KO is the one for that.

Besides, this season is still about development. Jerebko is probably gone at the end of the season. CBS has gotten so much out of these guys, they're gonna try the same thing with Olynyk.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
We probably should have traded him to Utah for Kanter---cause The Jazz wanted KO on draft night---and they got GARBAGE in return for Kanter, after saying they wanted a lot--!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Olynyk is getting closer to a return. I was wondering what everyone is expecting from him once he gets his conditioning back.
I want him to take away minutes from Bass and Zeller, Crowder and Jerebko need to continue with their minutes.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I want him to take away minutes from Bass and Zeller, Crowder and Jerebko need to continue with their minutes.

Yeah, Jerebko really screwed things up for Olynyk. Not that he deserves to play 40 minutes a game, but with Sully out, I was looking forward to him getting extended run as the main PF on the floor. Now he may be third on the depth chart.

I will say, people seem a little down on him by only remembering his negatives - and there is really no reason to. Just because he was injured and hasn't played for a bit doesn't mean he now sucks.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think it is important to give Olynyk major minutes now.

They should already know what they have in guys like Sully, Bass, Zeller and Jerebko. Jerebko hasn't been here long but he's been in the league for years. He is a known factor. Olynyk is still more of a question mark. This is a great opportunity to gain some information on him.

Especially heading into the off-season when Ainge will have to make difficult decisions about (1) whether to re-sign Jerebko and/or Bass (2) whether to trade Sully or Olynyk (3) whether to draft a PF on draft day or avoid drafting one if possible.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think it is important to give Olynyk major minutes now.
I think it's important to let Olynyk know now that if he wants minutes, he should play better than Jonas Jerebko.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Sorry to say I agree. A really bad pick given Greek freak, Schroeder, Dieng, Gobert & Muhammad were available.
tired, old argument that was put to rest some time ago.

olly....i honestly dont know what he will do. when he is aggressive and assertive on the offensive end he makes so many other big men look silly on defense.  when he attacks the basket he blows by his defender quite often. when he takes a set shot from outside he is money.

as long as he is coming off the bench, you live with his defense because his offense as a stretch 4/5 can be outstanding.

of course, all of this depends upon him being assertive, doesnt it?

p.s. koz is spot on above about letting olly knows he has to fight for his playing time.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva