Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 13401 times)

Re: Frustrated
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
There's more than one way to do things and Danny has plenty of assets to use and group together to get better assets.  Danny has 11 1sts in the next 4 drafts and the next closest team has 6.  He'll have plenty of cap too.

Don't count on anybody being here in 4-5 years.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We probably will not make the playoffs... but there is progress and development..
next year we just need 3-4 good moves
make sully lose weight
draft stein or turner.. move up if you have to to get a rim protector
try at least to get one good snd young free agent..

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 12:40:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
They haven't pigeonholed themselves into the the peg of a true treadmill team, though.

Their cap situation is extremely fluid going forward, they're young, and they have plenty of assets at their disposal.

This isn't the case of a team hitting a glass ceiling of 6, 7, 8 seed because they're filled with veteran, established talent or in cap hell for the next 2 to 3 seasons.

They have plenty of promise to continue to rebuild by trades & free agency.   This organization is not hitting the wall of mediocrity with little manueverability (sp?) in the near future.

It's been a multi-year rebuild all along.  They're actually probably a bit ahead of schedule, in fact.

I understand its a long process and Ainge as accrued lots of young assets but its the Thomas and Turner moves that have me frustrated as these guys are slightly expensive, taking minutes from rookie who need them and are pushing us out of a true 'franchise guy' possibility.

I'd say in the whole NBA, other than Charlotte, Philly and Denver, Boston is the only team without a 'franchise guy'

I disagree with your last statement.  Most teams don't have a "franchise guy."

Lots of teams may have potential franchise players, but history shows that a vast majority of those potential franchise players will never turn into actual franchise players. 

I would further argue that the two teams with the best current records in the NBA don't have any "franchise players" on their respective rosters. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Last night's game was a great game, the young players banded together, turned it around with good D and timely 3 point shooting. We finally have a spark off the bench. We have most of our players that actually play defense, and want to be here. We finally have a little something to get excited about. We're looking for a piece or two.
Why are you frustrated?

Oh I get it, you're looking for Chris Paul and Cousins to come to Boston, Chris can drive because Cousins license is most likely suspended. On the way he can pick up Labron and Kevin Love so they can discuss how to better prepare for the championship run.

I can see the future headlines: "Labron James strangles Marcus Cousins in Fantasy league brawl"

This is the rebuild, enjoy it so you can more enjoy being a contender again.   

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I do think Danny's actions have pushed us away from a completely flexible "rebuild through draft or trades" approach and more toward a less flexible "rebuild through trades" approach. It's exceedingly unlikely that we'll get a franchise guy in the draft, given our current draft position.

That said, we're still in a position to pounce if and when the next superstar decides to move. We might even be more attractive to that superstar, given that we'll already have some good surrounding pieces in place.

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I like the progress that has been made the last few years.  At times, it does seem stagnant, but I think overall, especially this year, there has been some good movement.  It's a 2 way street.  We have the assets to acquire a valuable player and also will have the cap dollars to acquire a very good player.  With that said, a) a player has to be available via trade..We can't just forcefully acquire someone.  The other team has to be willing to deal and b) A player has to be open to signing here.  I think it's good that this team is showing it isn't in the total depths of the league/conference...Free agency wise, it can be a selling point to a FA, saying: "You are the guy that can put us over the hump..we are so close...blah, blah, blah" 

I'm satisfied overall with the way things have gone.  I honestly believe we will be legitimate contenders within 3-5 years....maybe sooner, who knows?

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I do think Danny's actions have pushed us away from a completely flexible "rebuild through draft or trades" approach and more toward a less flexible "rebuild through trades" approach. It's exceedingly unlikely that we'll get a franchise guy in the draft, given our current draft position.

That said, we're still in a position to pounce if and when the next superstar decides to move. We might even be more attractive to that superstar, given that we'll already have some good surrounding pieces in place.

It went from very unlikely to exceedingly unlikely that we'll get a franchise guy in the draft. The draft has always been a major crap shoot (and it's far worse in the era of one-and-done) and franchise players, at least the way I define them - LBJ, Kobe, KG, Duncan, don't come around often.

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

It went from very unlikely to exceedingly unlikely that we'll get a franchise guy in the draft. The draft has always been a major crap shoot (and it's far worse in the era of one-and-done) and franchise players, at least the way I define them - LBJ, Kobe, KG, Duncan, don't come around often.

Right.

Whether we get the 1st pick, the 6th pick, or the 17th pick, it's exceedingly unlikely that we'll get a franchise player in the draft. 

Those absolutely top echelon, transcendent superstars come around less than once every other year. 

I don't want to follow a plan that just has us tanking until we get lucky enough to get one of those players.  It's a risky plan that could more easily than not simply lead to a lot of very bad basketball for a long time with no payoff at the end. 

This is why I've never bought into the philosophy that states: "If we aren't going to be the best, we may as well be the worst.  There's no room to be anywhere in between."

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 01:54:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

The path he's putting us on is only slowing us down not speeding this process up and it has me frustrated. I apologise for this rant but I needed to blog off some steam lol

I have said this before....I simply do not understand how being a crappy team and getting lottery picks SPEEDS up anything.  If anything that is a very SLOW path to rebuilding.

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

We don't have a draft position.  Draft positions don't happen until the draft. 

The tanking logic of Celtics fans is really troublesome. Tanking has NEVER worked for any team.

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

The tanking logic of Celtics fans is really troublesome. Tanking has NEVER worked for any team.

We do in fact have a current draft position. This is not a difficult thing to comprehend. Note the word "current." Note the word "position."

And your second statement is a total non sequitur. It has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Nor was I taking a position on whether what's changed is good or bad. I'm describing reality, which is that (like colin said above) the probabilities associated with different paths to success have changed.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I had the same worry for about a minute.  While I haven't seen the team play in quite a while, the comments on CBlog tell me that things are turning around.  A building isn't put up overnight.  You lay the foundation and then build up.  It appears the demolition phase is over and that a pretty exciting foundation has been laid.  Lightening turnarounds like the Robinson-Duncan Spurs, the 2008 C's or the Lebron-led Heat aren't the only way to become championship caliber and those take a lot of luck anyhow. 

This is going the right direction.  We aren't going to become contenders by flipping a switch.  This is the rebuild of a winning mindset and tradition and it will gradual and it will be uneven.  Still, why not enjoy it?

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Worked pretty well for the Rockets. And the Spurs. And the Celtics. And the Warriors.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Worked pretty well for the Rockets. And the Spurs. And the Celtics. And the Warriors.
And how did it work for us that same year? ;)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The C's glut of young players like Bradley, Smart, and Zeller have shown improvement this season. The players they have gotten in trades for Rondo/Green/Thornton/Prince have shown they can play and fit in well in CBS' system. They have tons of draft picks. They have trade exceptions. They could have a lot of cap space this year and next. They have a good up and coming coach. They have a top GM. There is nothing to be frustrated about. They are on the right path.