Author Topic: A. Mason died  (Read 1228 times)

A. Mason died
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Anthony Mason, a bruising power forward who personified the gritty Knicks of the mid-'90s, died early Saturday morning, a source confirmed to the Daily News. He was 48. Mason had suffered a massive heart attack earlier in the month.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/anthony-mason-gritty-ex-knicks-power-dead-48-article-1.2132643

Possibly it`s just my impression but it looks like there are a lot of early deaths lately .... Makes you wonder about the cause ......

Re: A. Mason died
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
May he RIP.  He usually played hard against us and was a gritty player.    He has a very well developed physique.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Your steroid insinuations have little backing.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's very young.  :(
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I've noticed that a lot of former NBA players from that era gained a ton of weight shortly after retiring. Magic looks fat and terrible, Sir Charles struggled with weight but eventually got on a program and got fit. Bird looks terrible. Ainge had a heart attack and looks ten years older after that incident, and these are just a few of the less extreme examples. I think they are not educated on nutrition and healthy lifestyle and were in shape due to their extreme level of activity during their career, training and practicing and playing, but when that stops they go to hell physically. I think the NBA Players Association should have a program for players on how to transition to post-NBA life successfully in terms of healthy lifestyles.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Possibly it`s just my impression but it looks like there are a lot of early deaths lately .... Makes you wonder about the cause ......

I don't think there's anything to wonder about in Mason's case.  This picture was taken in June of 2014.  That's just not a healthy amount of weight for anybody to carry around.

One of my favorite players though.  Loved his style of play, demeanor, the hair styles with the Knicks, that '97 season where he put up 16/11/6/1, how when he was an All-Star in 2001 he wore a dreadlock wig to the ASG to honor his teammate Brian Grant who he thought should have been an All-Star.

Hopefully somebody on the Knicks shaves RIP Mase into the side of their head tonight.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:12:56 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class