Author Topic: Our success is all about the three point shot  (Read 4255 times)

Our success is all about the three point shot
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The NBA today is all about the three point shot. The two best teams in the league, Atlanta and Golden State, are the two best three point shooting teams.

Our small ball lineup is full of good three point shooters, Jerebko, Thomas, Crowder, and Bradley. Combine that with Thomas' penetration, and it is a recipe for success. It is a model of the new NBA.

Re: Our success is all about the three point shot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:30:44 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
The NBA today is all about the three point shot. The two best teams in the league, Atlanta and Golden State, are the two best three point shooting teams.

Our small ball lineup is full of good three point shooters, Jerebko, Thomas, Crowder, and Bradley. Combine that with Thomas' penetration, and it is a recipe for success. It is a model of the new NBA.

Actualy it means you need to have 2 things on your team: sharp shooters and good penetrator who always creates the open man. Well noticed.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:34:02 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Actualy it means you need to have 2 things on your team: sharp shooters and good penetrator who always creates the open man. Well noticed.

I don't see why we can't do well in the playoffs with this team.

Until someone knocks Thomas silly. Which they will.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:15 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Win a few games and now we are world beaters?

People need to be realistic this team will get killed in the first round! After we lose the next 2 games the sky will be falling for some here.

Anyway we are shooting way to many 3's it would be nice if someone over 5'9" would take it to the hoop. I expect the loss of Sully will catch up with us soon.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
3PT shooting is a pretty big weakness on the current Celtics, a team that has more than a few weaknesses.  Avery Bradley is probably our best 3PT shooter and the only one I would call "a 3PT shooter".  Olynyk and Jerebko seem fine for bigs but you don't want them taking a high volume of 3pters, they should be more opportunistic (or their percentage will go down).  Crowder is in the same category as KO and JJ, it needs to be a pretty open, set shot to maintain a good percentage.  Then you have Thomas who will get some for us.  I suspect that other teams are not all that scared of the Celtics 3PT shooting.

I am sure that Danny and Brad are well aware of this.  I am glad that our team is not wholly focused on 3PT shooting; as I believe in the adage that you live by the 3, you die by the 3.  Ideally, you have it as a weapon to punish teams with but you are also balanced enough that you don't have to rely on it to win.  Young is supposed to be that type of player so we will see.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Win a few games and now we are world beaters?

People need to be realistic this team will get killed in the first round! After we lose the next 2 games the sky will be falling for some here.

Anyway we are shooting way to many 3's it would be nice if someone over 5'9" would take it to the hoop. I expect the loss of Sully will catch up with us soon.
very good points. often on cb we do tend to get overly excited or overly depressed in a hurry.

the keys in the past few games, as stated above, has been very good 3 point shooting and thomas attacking the basket. great, but those are two rather fragile legs to stand on.

what happens when the 3 pointer doesnt fall? and we all know that many nights it will not.

what happens when a team shuts down thomas, or he has an off night?

what are the fall back plans or players that allow the celtics to win without the above? the playoffs for this team will not be pretty.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Those nights that three won't sustain the Celtics .   It critical to have a post game .

Sully and Zeller are ok at their positions

Celtics still need the BIG Cousins or Gasol like center to work the paint , when the outside shot isn't there.

Gasol is the difference in Celtics and Grizz .

I'd throw the bank at him .

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Those nights that three won't sustain the Celtics .   It critical to have a post game .

Celtics still need the BIG Cousins or Gasol like center to work the paint , when the outside shot isn't there.

Above ^ is about how I feel.

You have to have something more than the three. Sometimes your three's just don't fall. You need a game down low, some big's that can post up to go with the running and 3 point shooting. We have a guy that is penetrating IT, and Bradley seems to be following suit a bit. Turner has always penetrated. Even Smart is saying "why not." And that's a good thing.

The Celtics have to look in the mirror concerning their front court. They need to sign an athletic big man that can defend and run the floor, plus have a few bigs that can score with their back to the basket. Sully can be one.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

The two best teams in the league have the best three point shooters in the league.

The NBA has changed.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 10:28:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  Sully is only decent on one end of the floor and that is only when he is not taking threes.

Jerebko was our center last night.   That means CBS likes bigs who can shoot the three.   That makes me think Kamisky might be our guy.   I was think about Matt Howard from Butler who played for him.   They hustled and did effort on D but not one dominant post player.  While I for one would love to have a true big with size and athletic ability.  I am not sure it is what CBS wants for his system.

A guy who can spread the floor seems to be what he wants.  Zeller and Sully are not that kind of guys.  Sorry but a guy who shoots 28-29% from downtown is going to get ignored on the perimeter and the other team is going to pack it in on us.

We lived by three and there will be games where we die by it when we are off.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

The two best teams in the league have the best three point shooters in the league.

The NBA has changed.
i dont think anyone is arguing you dont need 3 point shooters, and obviously the best teams have them. the point above is that MORE than 3 point shooting is necessary. the best teams also have other ways of scoring.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

The NBA has changed.

Yes, but Bogut and Lee and Horford and Millsap are not chopped liver.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

The NBA has changed.

I agree that the NBA has changed. I just wanted to mention those teams are also very deep in addition to having 1-2 great 3 pt. shooters. The Hawks were basically the same lineup last year minus Horford who was injured and they weren't so hot without him. The Warriors have been good in the past until Bogut gets injured and their defense falls apart (though admittedly that was with Mark Jackson coaching).

We don't necessarily need a post game (see: Charlotte and Al Jefferson) but there has to be some kind of defensive interior presence. If he can do one other thing like shoot or pass than that would be excellent. I also think they need at least one other player who can create and shoot, whether it be a versatile PF like Bosh or a wing player. It can't all be on 5'9'' Thomas whose body should not be logging heavy minutes.

Obviously you hope maybe Smart can develop into a good shooter, that would help. If Crowder can inch his 3 pt. percentage up to .400, he'd be the quintessential 3 and Energy and D guy.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

The NBA has changed.

Yes, but Bogut and Lee and Horford and Millsap are not chopped liver.

That's true. I don't think we are contenders yet.
But I think we can make it to the playoffs and win a few games.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Hawks are great at the 3 due to drives and Kyle Korver.  3rd in drives/g (C's are 20th).  4th in team pts off drives (C's are 23rd).  Same style as Spurs.

GSW are extremely talented jump shooters.  Mostly due to Curry and Klay.  3 players shoot above 40% from 3 at a high volume.  1st in the league on pull-up jump shots fg% from 2 & 3 (C's are 21st on the same number of shots). 

Without more dribble penetration from someone other than Thomas our 3pt shooting isn't sustainable.  Just like against Charlotte during the middle of the game.  Too many soft jump shooters.