Author Topic: Brad Stevens has no intentions of starting Isaiah Thomas  (Read 29504 times)

Re: Brad Stevens has no intentions of starting Isaiah Thomas
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Maybe he can be the next Seattle born player to win the 6th man award joining Crawford and Terry.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thomas still puts up the most shots on the team, and finishes games. I think he is fine coming off the bench and it is best for the team.

I wonder if he will be in contention for the 6th man of the year award.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Good. This is his role on a contender (1st gurd off the bench) so now there won't be any complaints over "losing his starting job" when we get more talent.

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Thomas still puts up the most shots on the team, and finishes games. I think he is fine coming off the bench and it is best for the team.

On a team that may break 50 losses? Forget it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Red's philosophy was to start your strongest defensive team to set a tone, then bring in offense off the bench.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I just don't think it is best for the team.  Bradley and Smart are basically the same player.  The team would be better served starting Smart and Thomas and then use Bradley as the bulldog defender off the bench.  I think that would also greatly improve Bradley's offensive game when he isn't starting.  Bradley is the guy that should be on the 6th man, not Thomas.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I just don't think it is best for the team.  Bradley and Smart are basically the same player.  The team would be better served starting Smart and Thomas and then use Bradley as the bulldog defender off the bench.  I think that would also greatly improve Bradley's offensive game when he isn't starting.  Bradley is the guy that should be on the 6th man, not Thomas.
IMO the first unit is more about defense and the second unit is more about offense. Without Thomas the second unit's 5 out offense wouldn't work because there wouldn't be anyone that has the ability to get to the hoop.

If you put Bradley in the second unit, the first unit won't defend at the level they need to be successful and the second unit wouldn't score enough to make it valuable.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

IMO the first unit is more about defense and the second unit is more about offense. Without Thomas the second unit's 5 out offense wouldn't work because there wouldn't be anyone that has the ability to get to the hoop.

If you put Bradley in the second unit, the first unit won't defend at the level they need to be successful and the second unit wouldn't score enough to make it valuable.
The problem is that Thomas is averaging 28 minutes a game currently, and is arguably your best player. That's unacceptable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

according to 82games.com

the Smart/Bradley/Turner/Bass/Zeller lineup is a terrible lineup with a team worst win percentage of just 16.6%. 

Matches what I see when I watch the team.  I just don't like them starting together.  Just too similar. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

according to 82games.com

the Smart/Bradley/Turner/Bass/Zeller lineup is a terrible lineup with a team worst win percentage of just 16.6%. 

Matches what I see when I watch the team.  I just don't like them starting together.  Just too similar.

Simple, logical, and brilliant post. It's exactly what I see when watching these five play together. TP.

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

according to 82games.com

Simple, logical, and brilliant post. It's exactly what I see when watching these five play together. TP.

I agree that both visually and statistically this unit struggles. However while starting Thomas may fix this is it not in the best interest of the team long term. In the long run upgrading the front court and keeping Thomas as the 6th man is going to make this team dangerous. If next year Smart takes more control as the PG Turners point forward play will not be needed. This will open up a spot for a scoring SF adding a healthy Sully (or an upgrade at PF) will bring more offense to the PF position these two moves could allow the starters to function while Thomas is on the bench. The Thomas, KO and Young should be able to give the Cs alot of scoring off the bench. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster

according to 82games.com

Simple reason why: not enough 3-PT shooting on that unit. A more mobile/slim Sullinger would fit with Zeller better than Bass. Bass should come off the bench and play alongside Olynyk/Jerebko.

This is how I see the future rotation (3-PT shooters in bold):

Smart / Thomas
Bradley
Turner / Crowder
Sullinger / Bass / Jerebko
Zeller / Olynyk

Something like this keeps at least THREE 3-PT shooters on the floor at all times, which is a necessity especially when Thomas is on the floor.

The starting line-up works inside-out and the second-line uses drive and kick. There's a lot of flexibility with our frontline depending on your opponent. For example, Crowder and Olynyk can be your PF and C for ultimate spacing with Thomas if your opponent can't answer your small ball.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If a team's 6th man is its best and only scorer, that's a situation that calls for a reevaluation of the common wisdom regarding second units needing an offensive spark, a 5'8" player capped as that on a contender, how it only matters who ends the game. Isaiah Thomas needs to start. Every game. Forget the notion that the league's starting guards would eat him up on a nightly basis. His track record as a starter includes such supposedly impossible things as hanging a 20+ point triple double on John Wall, lighting up Kyrie Irving, with each being held in check at the other end. In wins, believe it or not. If Bradley and Smart are too good not to start, too, then Stevens should have the huevos to start Smart at "SF", brand it Smart Ball instead of small ball.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 12:00:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think now with a few games and practices in it will be time to start IT. Have Smart be first Guard off the bench.
Start- IT, AB, Turner, Bass, Zeller
Heavy rotation players- Smart, Crowder, Jerebko, KO.
Light rotation- Young, Wallace, Luigi.

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

according to 82games.com

Simple reason why: not enough 3-PT shooting on that unit. A more mobile/slim Sullinger would fit with Zeller better than Bass. Bass should come off the bench and play alongside Olynyk/Jerebko.

This is how I see the future rotation (3-PT shooters in bold):

Smart / Thomas
Bradley
Turner / Crowder
Sullinger / Bass / Jerebko
Zeller / Olynyk

Something like this keeps at least THREE 3-PT shooters on the floor at all times, which is a necessity especially when Thomas is on the floor.

The starting line-up works inside-out and the second-line uses drive and kick. There's a lot of flexibility with our frontline depending on your opponent. For example, Crowder and Olynyk can be your PF and C for ultimate spacing with Thomas if your opponent can't answer your small ball.
Must have Sullinger and his 28% career three-point shooting. And Turner (career 32%) is apparently not a three point shooter (but Crowder, career 33% is?!).

SMH
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:42:31 PM by kozlodoev »