Author Topic: Brad Stevens has no intentions of starting Isaiah Thomas  (Read 29506 times)

Re: Brad Stevens has no intentions of starting Isaiah Thomas
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 08:47:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I like Smart, Bradley, and Turner starting.  The identity of this team should be defense.  The first unit sets the tone with defense and ball movement.  Then Stevens has the flexibility to sub in IT for any spot 1-3 depending on matchups and who has the hot hand. 

Notice how the team's offensive identity completely changes when IT comes in, for better or worse?  The ball doesn't move as much.  The team looks for IT on almost every possession.  He's becoming a crutch.  Of course, he's a very good offensive player and we might improve if we just ran IT pnr's on every play, but that's not the identity we're trying to establish.  We have to build something more sustainable.  Isaiah is better as a spark plug than a floor general.  If we're ever going to be serious, Smart or some player not yet on the roster needs to grow as a floor general.

Granted, our team is 2 legitimate frontcourt players away from realizing any defensive identity.
And what does being a "floor general" really mean? Did the Golden State Warriors have one the other day? Or was the team just looking for Curry and Thompson on every possession?
Curry is definitely a floor general.  He's the de facto ball handler.  He can break pressure.  He advances it quickly and finds transition baskets.  He gets the team into their sets early.  He penetrates and creates for others (8apg).  He scores 24 a game without being selfish.  He's not a ball stopper.  He's a gunner but he rarely shoots his team out of their rhythm.  He shows good awareness, knows when to defer.  And so on. 

Of course, you can freelance a lot when you have 2 of the greatest shooters of the last 20 years.
So no love for Thomas's 22 ppg (on about the same number of shots as Curry) and 7.5 assists per 36 minutes?

Of course the identity changes. When Isaiah Thomas steps on the court, he's automatically the best scoring option by a HUGE margin.
Thomas is great, but he's dominating the ball like 86' MJ.  His usage rate is astronomical, 33.8%.  Higher than Curry (28.3) and even higher than James Harden (31%). 

I doubt his efficiency is sustainable at that rate, especially if he were a starter. I don't think it's healthy for any starter to dominate the ball like that.  I think if you want to win with a hodgepodge group like the Celtics have, you better be sharing the ball and executing in the half court, like Atlanta.  Nobody over 25% and hyper-efficient guys like Korver at 14%.

Now, if IT can come off the bench and score in bursts like Jamal Crawford (another high usg% guy) then I'm fine with it.  Do they both deserve to start?  Yeah, probably.

His size issues are also less likely to be an issue on both ends vs second units.
you are 100% spot TP.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I like Smart, Bradley, and Turner starting.  The identity of this team should be defense.  The first unit sets the tone with defense and ball movement.  Then Stevens has the flexibility to sub in IT for any spot 1-3 depending on matchups and who has the hot hand. 

Notice how the team's offensive identity completely changes when IT comes in, for better or worse?  The ball doesn't move as much.  The team looks for IT on almost every possession.  He's becoming a crutch.  Of course, he's a very good offensive player and we might improve if we just ran IT pnr's on every play, but that's not the identity we're trying to establish.  We have to build something more sustainable.  Isaiah is better as a spark plug than a floor general.  If we're ever going to be serious, Smart or some player not yet on the roster needs to grow as a floor general.

Granted, our team is 2 legitimate frontcourt players away from realizing any defensive identity.
And what does being a "floor general" really mean? Did the Golden State Warriors have one the other day? Or was the team just looking for Curry and Thompson on every possession?
Curry is definitely a floor general.  He's the de facto ball handler.  He can break pressure.  He advances it quickly and finds transition baskets.  He gets the team into their sets early.  He penetrates and creates for others (8apg).  He scores 24 a game without being selfish.  He's not a ball stopper.  He's a gunner but he rarely shoots his team out of their rhythm.  He shows good awareness, knows when to defer.  And so on. 

Of course, you can freelance a lot when you have 2 of the greatest shooters of the last 20 years.
So no love for Thomas's 22 ppg (on about the same number of shots as Curry) and 7.5 assists per 36 minutes?

Of course the identity changes. When Isaiah Thomas steps on the court, he's automatically the best scoring option by a HUGE margin.
Thomas is great, but he's dominating the ball like 86' MJ.  His usage rate is astronomical, 33.8%.  Higher than Curry (28.3) and even higher than James Harden (31%). 

I doubt his efficiency is sustainable at that rate, especially if he were a starter. I don't think it's healthy for any starter to dominate the ball like that.  I think if you want to win with a hodgepodge group like the Celtics have, you better be sharing the ball and executing in the half court, like Atlanta.  Nobody over 25% and hyper-efficient guys like Korver at 14%.

Now, if IT can come off the bench and score in bursts like Jamal Crawford (another high usg% guy) then I'm fine with it.  Do they both deserve to start?  Yeah, probably.

His size issues are also less likely to be an issue on both ends vs second units.
you are 100% spot TP.
His size issues weren't an issue at all in Sacramento.  It is a silly argument. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

you are 100% spot TP.
I know that he wasn't the only reason the Kings were awful on defense when he was on the team, but his size issues certainly didn't help.

Had his size issues not been present do you think a guy averaging 20/6 would get a contract that is closer to Brandon Bass than other 20 point scorers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

you are 100% spot TP.
They did lose 54 games 2 years in a row.  I don't think that's the model Brad Stevens is trying to follow.  I agree though, that size isn't really the problem, but I also think coaches would gameplan for a 5'9" starter.  You have to hide him somewhere, as we saw with him guarding Iguodala and Livingston.  Thankfully Smart and Turner give you flexibility to drop IT in any spot 1-3.

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 10:19:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It matters when a guy Avery Bradley or Rondo's size can elevate and shoot over the top of your contest even if you recover "on time". Same issue Ty Lawson has to deal with or for the more green tinted among us Phil Pressey has to deal with.

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Had his size issues not been present do you think a guy averaging 20/6 would get a contract that is closer to Brandon Bass than other 20 point scorers.
I think his size and chemistry issues (whatever they were because the Kings clearly wanted him gone) led to his smaller contract.

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In fact, it's 36%, and yes, the rest of our roster is THAT bad.

Eithe way, he scored 20 ppg as a starter in Sacramento on a usage rate of 26%. He'd be just fine if he starts. Personally, I don't really care if he does, but there is no excuse not to play him in the 33-35 minute range right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I think his size and chemistry issues (whatever they were because the Kings clearly wanted him gone) led to his smaller contract.
He's gone, and the Kings are about to lose 50 games again, so I don't think he was the problem there...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

you are 100% spot TP.
I know that he wasn't the only reason the Kings were awful on defense when he was on the team, but his size issues certainly didn't help.

He plays the deepest position in basketball and he isn't the only guy with that sort of contract.  For example, Monta Ellis didn't sign for much more than that he has a much longer history with that sort of play than Thomas does. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

you are 100% spot TP.

He plays the deepest position in basketball and he isn't the only guy with that sort of contract.  For example, Monta Ellis didn't sign for much more than that he has a much longer history with that sort of play than Thomas does.
So his small size doesn't effect him at all?

I think it's "silly" (as you so aptly put it) to think that size doesn't negatively effect his defense. The Suns were 3.5 points per 100 possessions worse with him on defense this year.

There has to be a reason that players with worse numbers than him have been signed to much larger contracts and it because his height limits his ceiling as a defender.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Do not care if he starts or not. Just have him on the court when this team most needs points because the man can put the ball in the basket.

As for his defense, to think his size doesn't affect his ability to guard other players is illogical and hasn't shown to be true in most of ITs defensive metrics which are not good. He is quick laterally and fast but he is just to small to cause problems for most good PGs.

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Do not care if he starts or not. Just have him on the court when this team most needs points because the man can put the ball in the basket.

As for his defense, to think his size doesn't affect his ability to guard other players is illogical and hasn't shown to be true in most of ITs defensive metrics which are not good. He is quick laterally and fast but he is just to small to cause problems for most good PGs.
My thoughts exactly.  Inject IT for instant offense, but build the team around defense.  It's a nice luxury.  If Turner or Bradley is hot, ride em a little longer.  If we're in a scoring drought (as we often are), give em the quick hook for IT.  Stevens likes versatile players and with Smart, Turner, Crowder and Bass, he has a ton of flexibility to dictate matchups.

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
IT is the latest player in the Nate Robinson/Stephon Marbury/Jordan Crawford/Jerryd Bayless mold. Ainge loves players like this, but I don't think he's really looking for that sort of player to be the starting point guard.

One assumes that Stevens is on board with this evaluation and decision making.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
IT is the latest player in the Nate Robinson/Stephon Marbury/Jordan Crawford/Jerryd Bayless mold. Ainge loves players like this, but I don't think he's really looking for that sort of player to be the starting point guard.

Except Thomas is better than all off these guys ever were, so we'll see how this pans out.

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Except Thomas is better than all off these guys ever were, so we'll see how this pans out.

Thomas is better than Marbury as a Celt for sure, but I definitely wouldn't say he's better than Marbury ever was.  22+ point/8+ assist guys don't grow on trees.  But I get your point.

I've seen Thomas as kind of a rich man's Nate-Rob since he got here, which is a pretty good thing to be, but not a guy you ultimately want as your #1 option.  Explosive bench playmaker who finishes most games is a very nice piece though, especially on his contract.