Author Topic: Brad Stevens has no intentions of starting Isaiah Thomas  (Read 29557 times)

Brad Stevens has no intentions of starting Isaiah Thomas
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
This is somewhat of a relief for me as i was worrying Isaiah's strong play might make Stevens thrust him into the starting line up over Smart.

BOSTON — Isaiah Thomas’ impressive start to his Celtics career won’t earn the point guard a spot in Brad Stevens’ starting lineup — at least not any time soon.

“No,” Stevens flatly said before Wednesday’s game when asked if he’d considered slotting Thomas in over starting point guard Marcus Smart. “I like the way our two guys (Smart and Avery Bradley) are starting together, and I like what (Thomas has) done off the bench. Is he capable of being a starter? Absolutely. He’s a good player. But we’ll cross that bridge if we need to.”

The addition of Thomas raises some interesting questions for Stevens & Co. The 26-year-old wanted out of Phoenix, after all, because of his desire to start, an opportunity he was not afforded in the Suns’ three-point guard offense. Although Thomas has said he’ll do “whatever (Stevens) needs me to do,” it’s clear that desire has not gone away with a simple change of scenery. Thomas hasn’t been used as a typical bench player, though. He’s been on the court in crunch time in each of the last two games and almost certainly would have been in his Celtics debut, as well, had an ejection not derailed those plans. If he continues to be Stevens’ go-to guy in late-game situations (and there’s not reason why he shouldn’t), it should make coming off the bench a bit more palatable.

http://nesn.com/2015/02/celtics-notes-no-plans-to-move-isaiah-thomas-to-starting-lineup/
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Brad Stevens has no intentions of starting Isaiah Thomas
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
It's an old saw, but a good one: it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:59:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It's an old saw, but a good one: it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes.

I agree.

It's clear that Boston needs IT in order to have offensive success, so he's going to be in there the lion's share of minutes, including end-of-game situations. Hopefully he's fine with that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
good for CBS. i think the current 3 guard rotation is a very effective one.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »

Offline dwoumn

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
At this point IT4 is better suited coming off the bench. This situation will probably looked at at the end of this season going into next season but for right now Coach Stevens is right to stand pat. One thing that the C's lack off the bench is that scoring present, but IT4 has been able to establish that in his 1st 3 games. By putting IT4 in the starting lineup, it takes away from the second units scoring because neither Smart nor Bradley can score in ways that IT4 does. When IT4 is scoring well with the second unit, then the second unit as a whole plays better which was evident in the wins over both the Suns and Knicks.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I see him as a 6th man through and through. A good one at that. Our second unit would be really offensively challenged if you swapped him with Smart or Bradley.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Thomas should start.  He is Boston's best player.  Bradley and Smart are too similar of players.  One of them should come off the bench with Thomas starting.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I'm glad he's on our bench or else we may have to move smart to SG or Bradley to the bench

Smart and Thomas are better able to make their own shot than catch and shoot
Bradley is more comfortable not playing PG from previous seasons where doc experimented

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »

Offline dwoumn

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Thomas should start.  He is Boston's best player.  Bradley and Smart are too similar of players.  One of them should come off the bench with Thomas starting.

Where would the scoring come from off the bench? Bradley or Smart coming off the bench would make it harder on them offensively with that second unit.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Where would the scoring come from off the bench? Bradley or Smart coming off the bench would make it harder on them offensively with that second unit.
And where is scoring going to come of in the starting lineup?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Is this an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' question? Coach knows what he is doing.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Amen.  The 6th man role was created by Red and in BOS has often been more important then being one of the starting 5. Frank Ramsey (the original 6th man), John Havlicek, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton are all HOFers.

Thomas will be such a mismatch against any second unit except maybe MEM and GSW, that he'll end up with better numbers than if he started.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 06:32:57 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
i'd say he is our best player BUT makes more sense to have him come off bench

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:13:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

And where is scoring going to come of in the starting lineup?
Exactly.  Scoring on the bench doesn't matter if by the time you go to the bench you are losing by 10 points.  Bradley and Smart are too similar.  They shouldn't both be starting.  Frankly I think Bradley's scoring would increase a great deal in the second unit, so I'd start Thomas and Smart. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Amen.  The 6th man role was created by Red and in BOS has often been more important then being one of the starting 5. Frank Ramsey (the original 6th man), John Havlicek, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton are all HOFers.

Thomas will be such a mismatch against any second unit except maybe MEM and GSW, that he'll end up with better numbers than if he started.

I agree, I love Thomas in a J Terry / M Ginolbli role. Come in the game with the green light to create offense. I also think keeping Smart in the starting lineup is only going to help his development. In Feb Marcus averaged 32mpg 10pt 4.5rb 4.3 ast with his 3p and fg% dropping with increased minutes. If he makes the logical progression next season into a 12pt 5ast 5 rb guy, AB stays as a 15+ppg guy and Thomas can give the Cs 18+ppg off the bench this backcourt will be tough to handle for years.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet