Poll

Who will be a better pro?

Kelly Olynyk
8 (72.7%)
Frank Kaminsky
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Will Olynyk or Kaminsky be better NBA players?  (Read 2324 times)

Will Olynyk or Kaminsky be better NBA players?
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
List any reasons why?

Their games and stats are very similar. Kaminsky has better blocks stats compared to Olynyk's Gonzaga days.  I am curious to see how his wingspan measures.

Even though the Celtics have Olynyk already, I would probably draft Kaminsky (if available) at 15 if the Celtics make the playoffs.

Re: Will Olynyk or Kaminsky be better NBA players?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I want to say that KO's game translates better.  Kaminsky can play defense ok in college, but he is going to get totally exposed there in the NBA.  I am very interested to see his combine results because I think they're going to be awful. 

Granted, KO only had 5 reps on the bench press, but his lane agility was really good and I don't think Kaminsky is going to touch that.  At the end of the day, Kaminsky will have his shooting - which is on par with KO - less agility, equal or less strength and probably better post moves, but you're not going to really base your offense on Kaminsky in the post.  Plus, if he's in the post, he's not going to be shooting, which is his best NBA skill.  KO has an equal college arsenal, but more of what he can do translates to the NBA than what will happen for FK. 

I mean I could be totally wrong, but the Kaminsky games I've seen haven't made me think he's going to be a particularly good pro.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
TP for an interesting topic.

I would say that KO because of his unique skills as a player.  KO can play the stretch 4 role pretty well, and is a mismatch at times for other teams.  Frank's game is more of a traditional post player, and he is a very good one, but will have a tougher time matching the size and athletic ability of the top big men in the nba.  It will be hard for Frank to have as much of an impact in the NBA.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Kaminsky is better defensively

But olynyk has the slight speed advantage over C so he can create his own shot on the dribble. This makes him a better mismatch against C in the nba 

Also Kazinsky may struggle in the post with more stronger and athletic big men guarding him

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
just to add to this discussion, this is from draft express and has a video of duke versus wisconsin...which means okafur versus kaminsky. kaminsky did well.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Frank-Kaminsky-41066/

i was mostly surprised at how mediocre okafur is on defense. but kaminsky showed smarts, good shooting, and a willingness to battle inside.

compared to olly, kaminisky does seem to have a better defense. but they do have similar games.

originally i did not like kaminisky as a pick and hope the celtics trade up. but i wouldnt have a hissy fit if they pick him on draft day. but i dont think he will solve the interior defense problems of the celtics.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:58:58 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Big Frank because he knows what he wants to do before he gets the ball and he has better D. KO can't make his choices soon enough and is a foul machine.