Author Topic: Cs need to be at the 8th pick or better  (Read 14516 times)

Cs need to be at the 8th pick or better
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As the season winds down and the top of the draft slowly develops it has become my opinion that the 8th spot will be the cut off the Cs need to avoid.

The top 4 is all but set. What ever order they go in Okafor, Towns, Mudiay and Russell will be the top 4 picks in the draft. Its debatable who goes where, despite hype for a competition at the #1 spot I doubt Okafor goes anything put 1st. After that the next three are basically tier two and will shake out based on different teams needs/scouting.

I see the next four as Prozingis, Herzonja, Johnson and WCS. The Cs really need to land one of these four. I view then next tier/group of prospects after these four as flawed and a clear step down. These four are very different prospects but I think each will bring a skill set that will fit the Cs both stylistically and the current roster.

How they fit,

Prozingis, granted he is a PF but he brings height and length to the front court. His ability to play the perimeter seems like a great fit for what DA and BS are trying to do. If drafted I think he will mark the end for either Sully or KO. It might take a season for Prozingis to adjust but I could ultimately see one of our current PFs and Zeller joining Prozingis in a 3 big rotation.

Herzonja, he has a redundant skill set to J Young but is a better prospect. He has already show alot playing in the ACB. I can see him as a #2 scoring option on this team capable of using his size and range to score from the perimeter at the SF position. His presence my ultimently hurt Young and lead to him being moved. Especially with the SG position likely taken for a while from AB and minutes for SMart.

Johnson
, really like his fit as the starting SF. He should bring to this team a similar skill set to Crowder (not the outside shooter yet). He is much bigger then Crowder and will bring similar physical play and the ability to play small ball PF. He is actually the same size as Bass so it really isnt small ball with him at the PF. His size will still allow Young to play the 3. Johnson could effectively start at the SF and play as the 4th big allowing Young solid minutes at the SF.

WCS, after a year to adjust I could see WCS changing the Cs defense. His mobility, length and athleticism will make him a DPOY candidate. Putting him on the court with Smart and AB will create a great core of defensive success. His presence may mean the end of Zeller but I wouldn't be completely shocked to see them function in a Noah/Gibson type relationship where Tyler becomes the first big off the bench. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Cs need to be at the 8th pick or better
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
We must have at least five threads to discuss the same players.

No offense (really), I like to discuss draft prospects, but we can do it in the other threads.

Anyway, forget about the 8th pick. Too late for that.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Of the 4 in the lower tier I'm really only interested in Hezonja and WCS. Both have an elite skill that is not replicated anywhere on this roster. Having said that as it relates to the lottery overall, we may not even be in it. If we make the playoffs which is not by any means out of range our draft pick looks more like middle of the pack. Now it's possible to maybe package both our picks to move up a couple of spots to pick someone up at the tail end of the lottery but honestly I'd prepare for either an underwhelming pick or maybe for Danny to just trade one or both of them for an established player.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
How good is Justice Winslow?

It seemed like Winslow and Stanley Johnson were not far apart at beginning of season but now there is a large difference between them. Why?

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
We must have at least five threads to discuss the same players.

No offense (really), I like to discuss draft prospects, but we can do it in the other threads.

Anyway, forget about the 8th pick. Too late for that.

more of an observation of the tiers of this draft and how our finish will effect this. I also wanted to create a post to highlight how these prospects will fit with the current roster and the potetnial changes they may create. I also want to point out that it is not to late for the 8th pick. The Cs currently have the 9th and I personally expect the Kings to move up the standings as they adjust to Karl and are gifted 5 games vs the super tankers (NYK, LAL, and 76ers).
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 03:18:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would Oubre and Turner to the mix. In fact, with the way shooting is valued Booker has a shot of being a top 10 pick.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

It seemed like Winslow and Stanley Johnson were not far apart at beginning of season but now there is a large difference between them. Why?

Johnson is  bigger 6'8 245 vs 6'7 230 and putting up better stats. 14.2pt 6.8rb vs 11.5pt 5.5rb Neither are great shooters but Johnson has been more consistent this season. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I'm not going to sweat a 9th or 10th pick.  From what we've seen in one year of college, it appears that most of the players in the 6-12 range are fairly interchangeable in terms of talent.  It's a tight group.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I would Oubre and Turner to the mix. In fact, with the way shooting is valued Booker has a shot of being a top 10 pick.

I know very little about Booker but, from what I've been reading, I see a lot of "elite shooter," "makes plays to score," "high basketball IQ," etc.  Is this guy Dougie McBuckets 2.0?

Mike

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
porzingis is so thin has everybody lost their perspective from a few game tapes from europe-get a true power forward or center---this kid will never put on weight quick enough

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I know very little about Booker but, from what I've been reading, I see a lot of "elite shooter," "makes plays to score," "high basketball IQ," etc.  Is this guy Dougie McBuckets 2.0?

Mike

I would say a better comp is Redick. Booker is a good prospect because of his shooting but he is an average prospect in most other aspects.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Johnson is  bigger 6'8 245 vs 6'7 230 and putting up better stats. 14.2pt 6.8rb vs 11.5pt 5.5rb Neither are great shooters but Johnson has been more consistent this season.

I would take either.

Johnson would be much more sweet, but both are high character, ultra athletic guys that can be molded into good to great players. I'd be happy with either one of them.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

I agree as well.  Those two have been pretty great in Big12 conf play this year.  Oubre looks more NBA ready than James Young to me at this point on the def. side of the ball.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Johnson is more polished, aggressive, and bigger.

Winslow has a great small forward body, but could be a Kedrick Brown 2.0. hard to tell where his ceiling is going yet.

Both players are very good defenders.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I have only seen Looney play a couple times, but he looks to belong in that 6-12 range. He is a jack of all trades combo forward.

I actually really like the entire lottery. booker and Kaminsky belong in the top 14. After that the draft is a crap shoot - but a decently talented crap shoot.