Author Topic: Hornets (23-32) at Celtics (22-33) Game #56 2/27/15  (Read 53754 times)

Hornets (23-32) at Celtics (22-33) Game #56 2/27/15
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Charlotte Hornets (23-32) at Boston Celtics (22-33)
Friday, February 27, 2015
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #56 Home Game #29
TV: CSN-NE, SportSoutn, NBA-LP 756(DTV)/753(XFinity)
Radio:  WZLX 100.7 , WFNZ 610 AM
TD Garden

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Marcus Smart.....Avery Bradley....Evan Turner....Brandon Bass...Tyler Zeller

Celtics Reserves
Gerald Wallace
Jae Crowder
James Young
Phil Pressey
Shavlik Randolph
Isaiah Thomas
Jonas Jerebko
Gigi Datome

Injuries
Kelly Olynyk (ankle) day to day
Jared Sullinger (foot)  out

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Mo Williams....Gerald Henderson....Michael Kidd-Gilchrist....Cody Zeller....Al Jefferson

Hornets Reserves

Marvin Williams
Brian Roberts
Jason Maxiell
Lance Stephenson
Troy Daniels
PJ Hairston
Jeff Taylor
Noah Vonleh

Injuries

Bismack Biyombo  (knee) doubtful
Kemba Walker (knee)  out

Head Coach

Steve Clifford

Game Notes
The Celtics and Hornets meet for the third of four times this season.  Charlotte won the first two meetings 96-87 in Charlotte and 104-95 in Boston.   They will meet for the 4th and final time on March 30 in Charlotte.

In their last meeting, Kemba Walker scored 33 points to lead the Hornets and Jared Sullinger led the Celtics with 22 points and 8 rebounds.  Both players are injured and will not play in this game.  Both teams picked up a point guard at the trade deadline.  Charlotte brought in Mo Williams to replace the injured Kemba Walker while the Celtics brought in Isaiah Thomas to add much needed offense.

The Hornets snapped a 5 game losing streak when they beat the Bulls on Wednesday.  The Celtics are looking for their 3rd straight win.  The Hornets are 10-16 on the road and 4-6 in their last 10 games while the Celtics are 13-15 at home and 6-4 in their last 10 games. 

The Hornets are tied with Brooklyn for the 8th and final playoff spot.  The Celtics are 1 game behind Charlotte and tied with the Pistons and Pacers for the 9th spot.  The Celtics could help their playoff hopes with a win in this game. 

Key Matchups

vs
Tyler Zeller vs Al Jefferson
Big Al always seems to play well against his former team.  He is averaging 17.2 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks.  It will be important for the Celtics to keep Al off the boards and away from the paint where he is a threat to score.  Tyler is 0-6 against his brother Cody and so I'm sure he's going to be motivated to get a win in this one.

PG vs
Marcus Smart vs Mo Williams
With Kemba Walker out, the Hornets made a trade for Mo Williams at the trade deadline.  Williams is averaging 12.8 points, 2.4 rebounds and 6.4 assists per game for the year, but he has averaged 21.0 points and 6.7 assists in his 3 games with the Hornets.  He has torched the Celtics in the past and Smart will need to play him tough on defense. 

Keys to the Game
Run and Set the Pace
- The Celtics must run every time down. They can't walk the ball up and settle for a half court game. When they run, they get easy baskets before the defense sets up. They have to do that on every play.

Rebound - The Celtics can't run and they can't score if they don't have the ball. They must crash the boards as a team and put out the extra effort it takes to get the rebounds.  Charlotte surrenders the fewest offensive rebounds per game at 8.6 per game.  The Celtics will need to work harder to beat them to the boards. 

Defense - Defense is always a key to getting a win. The Celtics have to get stops, especially down the stretch. The Hornets average just 94.3 points per game  but they allow just 96.8 points per game.  The Celtics will need to work harder on defense if they want to get the win. 

Be Aggressive - When the Celtics are aggressive going after loose balls, crashing the boards, defending and taking the ball hard to the hoop, they are very tough to beat. They have to be the more aggressive team and they have to be the team that plays harder. Being the more aggressive team will also usually get them more calls from the refs. 

Play 48 Minutes - The Celtics have to play hard from the opening tip until the final buzzer. Too often they get themselves into a big hole and then have to expend a lot of energy to come back, or they get a big lead and then give it up. They have to play hard for all 48 minutes.

Move the Ball but Limit Turnovers
- The Celtics must move the ball and find the open man. They struggle to score when the ball stops moving. At the same time, they have to limit turnovers. They give away way too many points by making careless passes and by losing focus.  The Hornets turn the ball over just 11 times a game, which is the fewest in the league.  The Celtics have to take care of the ball and keep their turnovers low as well. 

X-Factors
Home and the New Guys
The Celtics will be playing their second game of a 3 game home stand.  They should get a boost from being at home.  They got a boost from the play of Jonas Jerebko and Isaiah Thomas in the last game and hopefully they will get the same production from them in this game. 

Re: Hornets (23-32) at Celtics (22-33) Game #56 2/27/15
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Go Cs ...another win.

TP, Flcelts...great job as usual. Like the hats.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So.... is this the game that they can advance to the 8th seed if they win?

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks csfansince60s!   TP for being the first to post in the game thread.   Go Celtics!!!!!   

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I don't think so unless Brooklyn loses tomorrow too, if they even play.

It always seems that every year we have one team that is similarly skilled to us that we just cannot beat or even play well against. Charlotte has been that team this year. We've came out and laid eggs against them both times this year. Hopefully that has changed with our new additions and energy.

EDIT: We've been the same way with Miami this year, too.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:56:57 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Playoff implications here, you're right.

Win-win, I guess. Win and we're closer to the playoffs against one of our main competitors for the spot. Lose, and our draft chances get better.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

I don't think so unless Brooklyn loses tomorrow too, if they even play.

It always seems that every year we have one team that is similarly skilled to us that we just cannot beat or even play well against. Charlotte has been that team this year. We've came out and laid eggs against them both times this year. Hopefully that has changed with our new additions and energy.

You're right about the changes. Now our guards have a big edge over their's, but they have a big edge in the frontcourt.

Walker lit us up for 33 last time. We'll miss Sully vs Big Al, but IT's on a mission.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
the win streak continues!!!! another step towards basketball world domination by our celtics!!!

goooooooo celtics!!!!

and gooooooooo flc....plus a tp.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Taking my 6 year old son tonight and he's a die-hard.  No rooting for a tank for me tonight! :D

Mike

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Taking my 6 year old son tonight and he's a die-hard.  No rooting for a tank for me tonight! :D

Mike
I was just thinking how I wish I was going to this one. I can see this game having a little extra juice since both teams are fighting to get into the playoffs. Enjoy.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Playoff implications here, you're right.

Win-win, I guess. Win and we're closer to the playoffs against one of our main competitors for the spot. Lose, and our draft chances get better.
Yep. Big game no matter which way you want us going. I'm pulling for the win.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Mike
I was just thinking how I wish I was going to this one. I can see this game having a little extra juice since both teams are fighting to get into the playoffs. Enjoy.

The way this season is going, I think the April 1 game against Indy will still have playoff implications for both teams and tickets will be really cheap.  Even the April 14 game, our last home game and 2nd to last game of the season, will likely have playoff implications for us.  It looks that close.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Offtopic: That Hornets beanie is awesome.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Offtopic: That Hornets beanie is awesome.
beanie? i thought it was a watch cap. but i am probably just dating myself yet one more time.  :-X
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I've never seen a watch cap with a pom on top, but I call all winter hats beanies.

Anyway, I hope the C's win this one.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.