Author Topic: Out-Tanking Tankers not realistic, Hawks-like Playoff Experience best option  (Read 14553 times)

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
 I  Think this winning culture thing is way overated, and half this roster might not be here next year anyway. I hope this team makes the playoffs though because finishing in ninth place is the worst outcome for this team. I also don't think you can compare this team to the Hawks, Horford is one of the bests centers in the league, and a player that no one on this celtics team compares to in talent yet. Last years Hawks team would have won a lot more games in the regular season if he wasn't injured most of it. Look at the Bucks two years ago, they got swept in the playoffs, their young players like Henson and Sanders had down seasons the next, and despite being a playoff team their best player signed somewhere else the next year. A winning culture is only good if you have the peaces in place like the Hawks did, we are missing a lot of pieces.

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
We are missing a lot of pieces that the 10th draft pick will give us but not the 15th draft pick..?
Lol!
What I'm saying is possibility  for a top 3 pick ok why not going for it and trying to lose to get a great player...
But when 10 other teams are better tankers than you are then its better to try and win and get a playoff experience versus the 9th or 10th spot...

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
"Clobbered in the playoff" is one way to look at it...
I see it differently as none of those teams in the East strikes fear to this hard fighting team....
Experience is valuable!
Now if you are telling me better get the top 3 pick than the 8th seeds in the playoffs than I would agree with you!!
If you say 10 vs 15th I would reply yes but it's so marginal and does not guarantee a sure franchise changing talent so why not risk a slightly lower odd of getting a very good player and add some playoff experience to BOOST out young players development...??
Assets does not only equal draft pick or position
Assets also is development on talented young players!!!!
As for every example of rondo experience in a 24 -58 season you take I can have a Derrick Rose example of a young player on a 7th seed team in 2009 that got a boost thanks to a great playoff experience and became an MVP in this league... So to each its reality and I'm Glad Danny and Brad are in control instead of you guys... smh.
good reply, thanks. of course, i disagree since no one on cb is ever allowed to change their mind or learn valuable lessons.  ;D but nonetheless, i like your reply and award you a valuable tp.  :)
TP  back to you buddy!

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The Hawks don't really strike the fear of God into me. I think we'd give them a hell of a series due to our defensive tenacity. No team wants to be playing against a backcourt defensive duo of Smart and Bradley in the playoffs. Of course they're favored to win and probably would, but I think of us as the 2013 Houston Rockets who gave OKC all they could handle in the first round.

And you know what Houston did that summer? Picked up a superstar in Howard! It's a win-win!  ;D
All this tells me is that you probably don't watch the hawks.

More snarky one-liners, eh?

That you categorically dismiss so many comments and views on here with passive-aggressive one-liners just tells me you must have one hell of an ego on you.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Hawks and Cavs would destroy the Celtics in the first round.  4 games, maybe 5.  Not sure what purpose making the playoffs would serve when you are 11 games under .500 and get man handled in the first round.  It would be an absolutely terrible thing to have happen.  Now if Boston goes on some sort of run and finishes the year near .500 and makes the playoffs as the 5 or 6 seed, then sure that is something to think about, but back-dooring into the playoffs with a terrible team because everyone else is terrible is nothing like the Hawks.  And for the record, before the Hawks recent run they were out of the playoffs for 8 straight seasons and the last three years the Hawks have lost in the first round of the playoffs.  I'm not so sure they are the team to strive to be (even with their excellent record and very good team this year).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The problem with this theory is that we don't have the talented balanced roster of the Hawks. 

I am ok with either way, just want the team to commit to one or another.  It seems with Jerebko and Thomas that playoffs it is folks.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Players and coaches don't tank; GM's do.  And from what I can see, Ainge has done everything in his power to tank but it has not worked.  At this point, nothing more to do than just wait and see what happens.  The last thing we want to see is players and coaches losing on purpose.

^^^^this.
We have too many guy's that play too hard on the celtics, its a problem other NBA teams should have.
Develop the young players, get a free agent center, and draft a power forward that can be a 2 way player.
Create some hope.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The Hawks don't really strike the fear of God into me. I think we'd give them a hell of a series due to our defensive tenacity. No team wants to be playing against a backcourt defensive duo of Smart and Bradley in the playoffs. Of course they're favored to win and probably would, but I think of us as the 2013 Houston Rockets who gave OKC all they could handle in the first round.

And you know what Houston did that summer? Picked up a superstar in Howard! It's a win-win!  ;D

That you categorically dismiss so many comments and views on here with passive-aggressive one-liners just tells me you must have one hell of an ego on you.

We'd get 4-0'd or 4-1'd by the Hawks, because our team is awful and their team is not. If you think otherwise, I'd wager that I'm giving your comments about as much credit as they deserve.

Sorry you get so upset by brevity.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I  Think this winning culture thing is way overated, and half this roster might not be here next year anyway. I hope this team makes the playoffs though because finishing in ninth place is the worst outcome for this team.

This is sort of where I come down on this.
The Celtics are on the cusp of being in the playoffs, cusp of just missing the playoffs.
Think of the choice as between these options:

(1) Take the #12 seed (which is where I imagine the Cs end up if they miss the playoffs).
(2) Take the #17 pick (which is where the Cs end up if they just make the playoffs).

Note that (1) gives you a ~2% chance of earning a top 3 pick in the draft, a 94% chance of ending up with the #12 pick and a 4% chance of earning the #13 pick (that's right, you have a better chance of moving back a spot than you do of moving into the top 3).

Note that (2) gives you the #17 for sure, some playoff experience, some extra run for the youngsters (potentially marketing them as trade bait for a draft night trade or summer trade).

All else considered, I think I go for (2).
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
 ::)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

We'd get 4-0'd or 4-1'd by the Hawks, because our team is awful and their team is not. If you think otherwise, I'd wager that I'm giving your comments about as much credit as they deserve.

Sorry you get so upset by brevity.

I tend to agree with JPotter33 on this one actually.  The Eastern Conference has never been worse, lead by the surprise Hawks.  Not to take anything away from them, but they represent as soft a 1 seed as the EC has seen in at least five years.

IMHO, if we can figure a good scheme to slow their 3pt shooters we can steal a couple games.  Also don't count out Thomas from dropping 30 and stealing a game all by himself. 

Nope, can't see anything at all to lose by getting into the playoffs.  TP for jp33

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The Hawks are in the top 5 for team defense this year, and they're holding teams to the third lowest average score this season. They're a better defensive team than an offensive one, but they're just barely outside the top 5 in overall offense, sitting at 6th in offensive rating and 7th in points per game.

The Celtics, meanwhile, are currently allowing more PPG than all but five teams in the league. They're currently in the midst of running the "Philadelphia classic" on offense, pushing the pace because the players suck, but the conventional wisdom of "the game slows down in the playoffs" is true, and you can't run your way to wins in the postseason unless you're the George Karl Denver Nuggets.

You're welcome to agree with Potter, but outside of mostly baseless conjecture and unlikely hypotheticals:
IMHO, if we can figure a good scheme to slow their 3pt shooters we can steal a couple games.  Also don't count out Thomas from dropping 30 and stealing a game all by himself. 

You don't have much support for your position to be taken seriously.

The only thing that a playoff run would do is net the franchise some extra income from playoff tickets. It'd be like the Knicks series but a million times more painful to watch.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'm willing to sacrifice the fleeting excitement of one playoff series for a pick that is a few slots better. I think that's why fans, deep down, want to make the playoffs. Not for all the other reasons that I admit have some merit, like experience and the fact that "good players are available at all parts of the draft," but because fans just crave the excitement of a playoff series even if the odds of winning are slim at best.

Hey, I want to see the Celtics in the playoffs too! But I know that it would just be a mirage and the best thing for this team long-term is a better draft pick. It's true, we don't know that a slightly better draft pick will help in any substantial fashion down the line, but it's possible that it could make a big difference in either trade or the caliber of player we get. Sometimes one slot in the draft can mean nothing, then sometimes it's everything.

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
A winning culture isn't developed by getting swept in the playoffs. Its developed by drafting ballers

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

but you have to admit, they are cute.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva