Author Topic: Favorite Title?  (Read 2096 times)

Favorite Title?
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:15:50 PM »

Offline Green_Giant

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
Do you have a favorite Celtics Championship or Championships? That we all pronounce Champion-Chip.

Me I have two 1984 and 1969. 84 - Bird over Magic, after they get down two games two one with their asses handed to them in L.A. I figure they are DONE. Bird, Maxwell and the Chief bring them all the way back - simply amazing. And don't forget, despite all of Birds ability, without Henderson's steal the Celtics do not hang 1984

1969 - 4th place in their own division. Barely sneak into the playoffs. Nobody expected them to get out of the first round, let alone make the finals. Sam Jones hits a miracle shot to force the 7th game, and the iron clad will of Bill Russell, and one hell of a lucky bounce from Don Nelson adds the most unlikely of all banners. Awesome.

Re: Favorite Title?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I want to say 84 or perhaps 86. The 1986 team is hands down my favorite team of all time. But to be honest it's probably the 2008 win that's my personal favorite. As Celtics fans it was normal for us to win rings and always be in the hunt.
But then after Bird, things sucked soooo bad for soooo long that finally winning again made me appreciate it way more then before. And it didn't hurt that we knocked off the Lakers and Kobe, who I can't personally stand.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:50:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
2008 was my first witnessed championship, the one before that I wasn't even born yet  :P

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
I've only been around for the 2008 title, so yeah.  I will say that I thought the 2010 run was way more memorable for me for some reason though, yet so sad...

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »

Offline Green_Giant

• Neemias Queta
2010 still stings because we got robbed.

I still feel the officiating was biased in favor of the Lakers and you'll never convince me otherwise. Despite the really bad calls, still 6 more points - tough to live with all summer.

2009 was tough, if KG hadn't gone down we would have waltzed to back to back titles.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
2010 still stings because we got robbed.

I still feel the officiating was biased in favor of the Lakers and you'll never convince me otherwise. Despite the really bad calls, still 6 more points - tough to live with all summer.

2009 was tough, if KG hadn't gone down we would have waltzed to back to back titles.

Blame them openly.  If I'm not mistaken we were up 13 going into the fourth and they started calling tick tack fouls. I think we were in the penalty with 8 or 9 minutes to go in the game.  Yes, can't blame anyone for not finishing that game and winning it, but surely the zebras let the Lakers back in it.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Any championship won by beating the Lakers goes right to the top of the list.  2008 was particularly enjoyable because they had some crappy years leading up to it.

On a side note, the recent Patriots championship was one of the best because of the way it was won and for the fact the it cemented the Brady/Belichick legacy. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
2008 For me. I came over from Australia and hooked up with my buddy in Maine who I met in the old Boston Globe chat room in around 2000. I hurriedly booked flights about 10 seconds after we beat Detroit to advance to the finals. Stayed with him a during the series and we went to all three championship games in Boston. That final game rout was a thing of beauty. Being able to just totally relax and soak in the victory for the last quarter and really revel in the moment as your favourite team play their best game of the season, against their most hated rival......just the ultimate fan experience.

That said, tip of the hat to that 1986 team. For mine the greatest NBA team of all time.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

That said, tip of the hat to that 1986 team. For mine the greatest NBA team of all time.

Couldn't agree more. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »

Offline wvcelticsfan

• Jordan Walsh
For me it's the 1976 championship, for a few reasons. Mainly, it had my three all time favorite Celtics - Dave Cowens, Paul Silas, and Charlie Scott. Also it had what is often stated to be the greatest NBA Finals game ever - the triple overtime Game 5, and also because it was the only championship where I went to a game in person.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:58:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
'86 and '08.  Larry at his best, and the return to greatness.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 07:05:27 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Best basketball TEAM in history

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

1969 - 4th place in their own division. Barely sneak into the playoffs. Nobody expected them to get out of the first round, let alone make the finals. Sam Jones hits a miracle shot to force the 7th game, and the iron clad will of Bill Russell, and one hell of a lucky bounce from Don Nelson adds the most unlikely of all banners. Awesome.

And Bill Russell rides off into the sunset.

This is my favorite moment in my lifetime of watching sports.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
08 was the only one I got to witnessed, so that's my answer. I remember shaking in happiness and excitement when the 4th quarter of game 6 was winding down. Good times
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:12:49 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177

And Bill Russell rides off into the sunset.

This is my favorite moment in my lifetime of watching sports.
The post game interview he did in the locker room says it all.